• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Yasir, Ashwin and Herath

listento_me

U19 Captain
Are they really that good or they are just padding up their stats by playing in the weakest era of batting against spin. I for one can't stomach how Dilruwan Perrera can have a 10 fer vs the # 1 ranked team in the world while Jadeja can achieve a sub 25 bowling average.

So is this a case ofsudden influx of very good spinners, more spin friendly tracks or just general ****e batting vs spin?
ermmmm

That's a tough one. Guys like Khan, Misbah and a few others play spin very well. Sadly we haven't seen Ashwin against them, in tests anyway.

From what I've seen, Ajmal got the ball to spin more and had more variety than all three (mentioned here), Swann was as smart and controlled as they come and Murali and Warne were obviously on a different planet and are two of the best bowlers I've ever seen. They also went up against a higher calibre of batsman, I'll give you that.

Then again we can only rate guys based on the level of competition they get to face. So on a current level, there's no doubt Ashwin is far more improved than the guy I saw 4 years ago who barely looked average, Herath has progressed steadily into SL second best ever spinner and Shah is probably the bets leggy in a generation.

Each one also carries a different threat: there's the prodigious talent and unwavering control of Shah, there is the studious nature of Ashwin and his improvement and of course the experience of Herath.

Shri

Mr. Glass
Its incredible that Ash has taken 417 international wickets for India across all formats already.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yasir has stunk it up this series much worse than I expected. Much worse than Ashwin did. At least Ashwin did a good job keeping the runs down and held up an end.

Fatty, on the other hand is doing a very respectable job in SA and that's why he's king till he retires.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yasir has played significantly fewer games and taken significantly fewer wickets for the comparison to make a huge amount of sense at this point. Not saying he isn't as good, just that it's like comparing Philander to Steyn.
He now averages close to 32 after getting absolutely obliterated in his last 4-5 Tests. Now the true test begins for him, he has to bounce back to prove that he belongs alongside the other two.

subshakerz

International Coach
He now averages close to 32 after getting absolutely obliterated in his last 4-5 Tests. Now the true test begins for him, he has to bounce back to prove that he belongs alongside the other two.
He started ok at the Gabba first innings but went downhill since then. Poor field placings and having to be a stock bowler havent helped. Im disappointed because even now I feel that he could have been a true weapon even he had approached it right and stuck to his attacking guns. I hope he can do better under a different captain and regain his confidence.

Last edited:

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Aswhijn holy crap, more like WINNUNLIMITED.

I tell you what, I've seen brains. I've seen gumption and i've seen balls, balls upon balls. And Ashwin, my god, my man, my woman. He has em all I say, balls which he spins, brains to spin balls with his hands which receives vrains singnals and gumtpion in his speech, which comes from the brain.

I'd let him do things, but hey. I',m only just a guy, a guy meaning to know and love the art of finger ***ing. Spin.