• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Younis Khan

Agent Nationaux

International Coach
Younis's Batting Summary:

Batting records | Test matches | Cricinfo Statsguru | ESPN Cricinfo

From the above, his only weaknesses are his record in South Africa (not too bad), West Indies and Australia (only 3 tests and no century). He has a chance to improve his record in West Indies and Australia as Pakistan will be playing in both countries this year. If he manages to have a good series in both countries with a respectable average with one or two centuries, his only weakness will remain South Africa (which I don't think he has a chance to improve upon). Where will this place him in terms of All Time Greats?

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Younis's Batting Summary:

Batting records | Test matches | Cricinfo Statsguru | ESPN Cricinfo
Where will this place him in terms of All Time Greats?
I didn't think a Younis thread would be far away, and probably fair enough.

Such a tough one for me. Definitely has one of the all-time great records, no doubt about that, but something's missing for me, something irrational, and I'm not even sure I can articulate what that is. It could even be him looking like a goose in ODIs on occasions, which I know shouldn't count when assessing his Test game. In terms of Pakistani batsmen, I place him slightly below Miandad & Yousuf, even though his record is superior.

So definitely one of the great batsmen of his era, without quite being one of the greats of all-time. I'd probably rate him at a similar level to the likes of Chanderpaul, Graeme Smith & Mahela Jayawardene, a level below Dravid & Kallis & two levels below Ponting, Sachin & Lara IMHO.

Last edited:

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I rate him alongside Dravid since his extended purple patch circa 2014. He's added a lot to his legacy in recent times.

Another unique thing about his record is his fourth-innings record, superior to that of most ATGs (a bit like Graeme Smith).

Last edited:

Furball

Evil Scotsman
4th innings record is the most pointless thing to gush over, give me a massive 1st or 2nd innings (like the Oval) any day of the week.

Grumpy

U19 Vice-Captain
A great batsman and one whom I admire greatly. Most of his knocks have come under pressure situations where he has had to rebuild the innings after another top-order collapse. Under appreciated because Pak don't play much in iconic places such as England and Australia. If he performs in the upcoming tours down under, I think he will get the recognition shared by the likes of Dravid, Kallis and Sangakarra.

I don't know if this is still the case, but remember reading a stat a year ago that he is the only batsman to avg 50+ in each innings of a Test match.

viriya

International Captain
I didn't think a Younis thread would be far away, and probably fair enough.

Such a tough one for me. Definitely has one of the all-time great records, no doubt about that, but something's missing for me, something irrational, and I'm not even sure I can articulate what that is. It could even be him looking like a goose in ODIs on occasions, which I know shouldn't count when assessing his Test game. In terms of Pakistani batsmen, I place him slightly below Miandad & Yousuf, even though his record is superior.

So definitely one of the great batsmen of his era, without quite being one of the greats of all-time. I'd probably rate him at a similar level to the likes of Chanderpaul, Graeme Smith & Mahela Jayawardene, a level below Dravid & Kallis & two levels below Ponting, Sachin & Lara IMHO.
Where's Sanga? Blasphemous.

Niall

International Coach
It depends on how we are debating him, if its purely on his test career, an all time great with only one or two Pakistanis on his level, however if we are factoring in his ODI form then it somewhat lessens his legacy sadly. He was an absolute spud in the format, who played politics in the press and had massive moans when he was dropped which in most occasions were always justified.

His knock v India in 2011 was the reason Pakistan lost the semi final, killed the momentum of the innings stone cold dead.

I suspect that no matter what he achieves in the rest of his test career, his dire ODI career will always gnaw away at him, whether we on this forum like it not, test cricket for the majority of Pakistani cricket fans is not the pinnacle.

Xuhaib

International Coach
A good tour down under will secure him a place along side Sanga,Dravid and Kallis. I think he has slightly gone ahead of Clarke, Inzi and Mahela.

Xuhaib

International Coach
It depends on how we are debating him, if its purely on his test career, an all time great with only one or two Pakistanis on his level, however if we are factoring in his ODI form then it somewhat lessens his legacy sadly. He was an absolute spud in the format, who played politics in the press and had massive moans when he was dropped which in most occasions were always justified.

His knock v India in 2011 was the reason Pakistan lost the semi final, killed the momentum of the innings stone cold dead.

I suspect that no matter what he achieves in the rest of his test career, his dire ODI career will always gnaw away at him, whether we on this forum like it not, test cricket for the majority of Pakistani cricket fans is not the pinnacle.
Yeah his odi record goes against him but do we talk about Gavaskar or Border odi record when rating them?

Niall

International Coach
Yeah his odi record goes against him but do we talk about Gavaskar or Border odi record when rating them?
To be honest, I have never read that many debates about them:unsure:

To be fair on Younis, he was captain for Pakistan when they won the t20 world cup which when you consider how many egos that were in that squad.