• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Younis Khan

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
This sort of conversation is probably better pursued over a beer than online. Hard to get one's points across without sound.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
haha yes I have a vague idea of what you're saying but it is really dependent on accent.

w shld ll jst tp lk ths rlly

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Much more important than the pronunciation and spelling of Younis's name is BJ's insistence on pronouncing "Mendis" as "Mendez". Should be sacked if he doesn't stop it IMO.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
and he got it wrong with Southee too, IIRC

لساؤثي = South-ee
ساؤذي = Southe-ee
Funnily enough I used to do this with Southee sometimes too even though I knew it was wrong until I realised how it annoying it could be when I heard people doing it with Latham.

smash84

The Tiger King
how'd you learn Arabic? According to the training manual for American diplomats it is categorized among the 4 most difficult languages to learn for native English speakers (the other 3 were mandarin, Cantonese, and Japanese)

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Southe-ee is right, IMO.
I thought so too originally until I heard Southee say it himself. I cbf correctly myself for a while until I realised how hypocritical my complaints about people mispronouncing Latham would be unless I did.