• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

best team in world cricket right now

the best

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Blocky

Banned
Pakistan are probably still the best "all-weather" cricket team, England are good at home and decent away, they're probably second place.

India only play well at home, Australia can't even manage that at the moment, South Africa is too inconsistent to really stake a claim for the top prize but on their day they'll beat anyone except for India for India.

smash84

The Tiger King
Given India don't lose everywhere else & SA don't win everywhere else, that question is nonsensical.
SA win in Eng, Aus, SA, SL, WI, lose in India, draw in UAE
SA lose to Aus and Eng at home, and beat everybody else

India, beat everybody at home
win abroad in WI and SL

Sounds like SA is a more rounded side and a better side for different conditions

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Pakistan are probably still the best "all-weather" cricket team, England are good at home and decent away, they're probably second place.

India only play well at home, Australia can't even manage that at the moment, South Africa is too inconsistent to really stake a claim for the top prize but on their day they'll beat anyone except for India for India.
It's just not true to say India only play well at home. They're beat SL last time they were there & although it's hypothetical, I honestly think they'd beat Pakistan in the UAE if they played there.

Zinzan

SA win in Eng, Aus, SA, SL, WI, lose in India, draw in UAE
SA lose to Aus and Eng at home, and beat everybody else

India, beat everybody at home
win abroad in WI and SL

Sounds like SA is a more rounded side and a better side for different conditions
See I'd say not being able to beat England and Aust at home cancels out the fact they last beat those two teams away from home.

And it's not really India's fault they don't get to play Pakistan, as I'm almost certain being by far the best team in SC conditions, that they'd beat them in the UAE atm.

smash84

The Tiger King
And it's not really India's fault they don't get to play Pakistan, as I'm almost certain being by far the best team in SC conditions, that they'd beat them in the UAE atm.
If we're making castles in the air then I am pretty sure that SA can beat Pakistan in the UAE too ;). In fact given that the WI recently took a match away from Pak in the UAE, and that NZ last drew when they were here so SA with a fit and firing bowling attack have a very good chance of beating Pak. So that would make SA great in all regions of the world barring India (and against Aus and SA at home). They whip the other teams at home and abroad.

There isn't really much of an objective argument of India being better than SA.

Blocky

Banned
It's just not true to say India only play well at home. They're beat SL last time they were there & although it's hypothetical, I honestly think they'd beat Pakistan in the UAE if they played there.
Would it make you feel better if I said India only play well in the sub continent?

If you took the Top 8 and had everyone play one at home and one away against each of the sides... do you think India would end up with the highest amount of wins?

I think either South Africa, Pakistan or England would.

Last edited:

Tec15

First Class Debutant
Let me put it this way BeeGee, I'd currently give India a much much better chance of beating SA in SA than I would in SA beating India at home... the latter I'd give NO chance.
What utter rot. All this based on the last series in India where India won the toss and batted first in all their wins on under prepared bunsens where Dean Elgar was a genuine wicket taking threat on day one. It is India who currently have no chance of winning a series in South Africa (And for that matter in Australia, England or even New Zealand) given their recent record. They will get predictably smashed when they tour South Africa next year.

Also how are India a better touring side than South Africa even in the narrow confines of the Subcontinent and the West Indies? South Africa won their last series in Sri Lanka without losing a test whereas India got Herathed and lost a test from a dominant position. Both teams dominate the Windies and had rain affected draws against Bangladesh. South Africa also drew their last two series in the UAE where India doesn't even bother turning up. Seems like a slight edge for South Africa here. In fact the only away series the Saffers have lost in the last ten years was that tour to India.

smash84

The Tiger King
What utter rot. All this based on the last series in India where India won the toss and batted first in all their wins on under prepared bunsens where Dean Elgar was a genuine wicket taking threat on day one. It is India who currently have no chance of winning a series in South Africa (And for that matter in Australia, England or even New Zealand) given their recent record. They will get predictably smashed when they tour South Africa next year.

Also how are India a better touring side than South Africa even in the narrow confines of the Subcontinent and the West Indies? South Africa won their last series in Sri Lanka without losing a test whereas India got Herathed and lost a test from a dominant position. Both teams dominate the Windies and had rain affected draws against Bangladesh. South Africa also drew their last two series in the UAE where India doesn't even bother turning up. Seems like a slight edge for South Africa here. In fact the only away series the Saffers have lost in the last ten years was that tour to India.
tbf, india would probably beat SA at home even if they weren't preparing bunsens. But otherwise quite agree with this.

Zinzan

Would it make you feel better if I said India only play well in the sub continent? .
If you added the Windies & you also said SA only play well outside of the SC, then I'd agree. I mean SA could well have lost to Bangladesh had it not been for rain.

If you took the Top 8 and had everyone play one at home and one away... do you think India would end up with the highest amount of wins?

I think either South Africa, Pakistan or England would.
I'd say India have just as much chance as those 3 teams you've mentioned, especially based on current form. I think ratings of sides should be weighting towards more recent performances, than 2-3 years ago.

Zinzan

When SA start beating teams like England and Aus at home, we'll talk.

Zinzan

Also how are India a better touring side than South Africa even in the narrow confines of the Subcontinent and the West Indies? .
I never said India were a better touring side, so you're arguing against a strawman, I said SA's home losses to Aust & Eng cancel out their away wins against them. How is that so difficult to understand?

Last edited:

Tec15

First Class Debutant
When SA start beating teams like England and Aus at home, we'll talk.
How about when India manages to stop getting dominated in England, Australia, New Zealand and South Africa and manages an away win in someplace other than Sri Lanka or the West Indies?

Tec15

First Class Debutant
I never said India were a better touring side, so you're arguing against a strawman, I said SA's home losses to Aust & Eng cancel out their away wins against them. How is that so difficult to understand?
What straw man? These are your exact words:

Zinzan;3768687SA are only better away from home than India in England said:
You explicitly said India is a better way team than South Africa in the subcontinent and the West Indies. Own it.

Last edited:

Zinzan

How about when India manages to stop getting dominated in England, Australia, New Zealand and South Africa and manages an away win in someplace other than Sri Lanka or the West Indies?
Dominated is a strong word considering it took an amazing unlikely world record partnership for NZ to hang to a draw last time India toured here & that would have been 1-1. Also India won a Test in England last tour in case you'd forgotten.

Besides, what does that have to do with the fact that SA can't seem to beat England or Aust at home. In fact IIRC Australia have won their last 2-3 series in SA haven't they? And let's not forget England had already won the series 2-0 before going into the dead rubber that SA won in that last series.

smash84

The Tiger King

You explicitly said India is a better way team than South Africa in the subcontinent and the West Indies. Own it.
Dominated is a strong word considering it took an amazing unlikely world record partnership for NZ to hang to a draw last time India toured here & that would have been 1-1. Also India won a Test in England last tour in case you'd forgotten.

Besides, what does that have to do with the fact that SA can't seem to beat England or Aust at home. In fact IIRC Australia have won their last 2-3 series in SA haven't they? And let's not forget England had already won the series 2-0 before going into the dead rubber that SA won in that last series.
he owned you :p

Zinzan

India are currently the better team in the SC, it's not even an argument,

Would you honestly give SA a better chance to win anywhere in the SC in a hypothetical series starting tomorrow against any of the opposition?

I'm not talking about 2013/14 here, I'm talking about right now.

Tec15

First Class Debutant

I dare say that South Africa winning their next home series against England and Australia is a damn sight more likely than India winning an away series in either place any time soon. And yes, they were indeed dominated 3-1 and 2-0 in their last two tours to those countries with pretty much the same personnel they have now. An improvement over their previous 4-0 thrashings, granted.