• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

best team in world cricket right now

the best

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
I think I said in the tour thread, but for me it's Pakistan 1a, England 1b. This might change tomorrow.

To me, it's really difficult to flat out dismiss England as the number 1 option. They did well coming back from a 1-0 deficit to pounce Pakistan, came back again in the 3rd Test after Pakistan winning the first 3 days and won. Also keep in mind that just as Pakistan could easily have been 2-1 or 3-1 here, the 0-2 result for England in UAE could've been 2-1 for England as well. In comparison I don't think Australia came close in their 0-2 result in the UAE.

As others have said, all these perceptions could change within the next few months, but based on what I've seen thus far I believe we just witnessed the top 2 teams in the world battle it out.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Was Duminy ever particularly good at Test cricket though?

No the cause AFAIC is the retirement of Kallis and Smith and them not finding strong replacements for them.

Yeah but around the time when he emerged, he looked like he had the potential to be that #5 whom they can build the team around. And his off spin will mean they can often play Tahir to be the lone spinner and use JP in the containing role when needed. But his decline since around 2013 has been the cause coz had he been as good as he promised when he burst onto the scene, they wont have felt the absence of Kallis, esp., as much as they are doing now. He burst onto the scene in 2008 or 09 and then had a bad couple of years but had a really good 2012 I think and then just went to **** for some reason since then.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Trying to replace Kallis with Ryan McLaren might have been a bigger issue.

Yeah but if Duminy really lived up to the heights he showed initially they could have used him in the all rounder's role and played 7 batsman 4 bowler combo.. He could have even been the sole spinner at times.. Anyways just my personal opinion that had JPD been as good as he initially promised, it would have served RSA the best.

Motorwada

Banned
Someone start a petition for Pakistan v India.
Series is planned in Oct-Nov 2017 right before our next away set. India are okay with playing Pakistan as long as it is played in India cause $$$$. Pakistan are not okay with it. Let's see what happens.

I don't think it will happen though. Our prime minister today explicitly gave support to a secession/freedom movement happening in one of the states in Pakistan so no India-Pakistan for a decade I believe.

Last edited:

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Can they not just ****ing hug it out and get on with a series?

Like, tell Australia to **** off and tour Bangladesh in March or something. Big ol' 5 Test series on the sorts of pitches they rolled out for South Africa would be an epic watch.

Motorwada

Banned
Can they not just ****ing hug it out and get on with a series?

Like, tell Australia to **** off and tour Bangladesh in March or something. Big ol' 5 Test series on the sorts of pitches they rolled out for South Africa would be an epic watch.
Government is pretty right wing and have a hardline stance on Pakistan. Also many people would not like Paksitan touring for the 2008 Bombay blasts.

There was supposed to be a series in 2015 and the PCB guys came over for talks but this happened.

Chrish

International Debutant
Nah... thats easy done that twice now... :)
Hence "at the moment" :p

What separates Australia at home from other teams is their scoring rate. They score very quickly which leaves them plenty of time to get opposition out and make them crumble under scoreboard pressure. Other sides aren't capable of doing it consistently

I said bigger challenge than beating India/ pak because both India and Pakistan are capable to defeating each other theoretically (slight edge to Pakistan of course)

With Australia I don't see anyone beating them at home currently

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
I don't profess to know anything about the politics, but there should be some serious pressure put on Pakistan and India to get a series happening asap. AFAIK, this current situation is definitely a mark against both countries No1 credentials.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
I don't profess to know anything about the politics, but there should be some serious pressure put on Pakistan and India to get a series happening asap. AFAIK, this current situation is definitely a mark against both countries No1 credentials.
I doubt a series in India could happen in the mid-term future tbh.

Maybe UAE.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Still I'd rather have Australia as no. 1 cause Straya **** and SA should probably slip behind NZ and SL just going on very recent history. Not sure anything over 1.5-2 years ago is really relevant at this stage.
By amount of wins (which is fallible, because you play more you can win more) it's:
Australia
England
Pakistan
New Zealand
India
Sri Lanka
Bangladesh
South Africa
West Indies
Zimbabwe

Or by ratio (which is also fallible because less games and depending on opposition, can look better than others)

Pakistan
India
Australia
England
New Zealand
Bangladesh
South Africa
Sri Lanka
West Indies
Zimbabwe

The top 5 in both groups seems fairly consistent :ph34r: on gut feeling I'd have it
1. Australia/Pakistan
3. England/India
5. New Zealand/South Africa
7. Sri Lanka
8. Bangladesh
9. West Indies
10. Zimbabwe

South Africa to properly smash NZ this series most likely so they'll go up probs.

aNarcHy2day

Cricket Spectator
The top 4-5 teams are so close right now- mostly because none of them are infallible, it actually is quite impossible to rank them definitively. That's the truth.

Motorwada

Banned
India have got 3 home series coming up against NZ, Eng, Oz. Where would they be rated if they absolutely smash the opposition?

Athlai

Not Terrible
I don't think it's New Zealand but there is an option to vote New Zealand so I'm voting New Zealand.