• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

best team in world cricket right now

the best

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
There is nothing clear cut about the top teams atm though. You may think it's India and SA and I may agree with India (though I'm not convinced SA are a lock)........but that doesn't make us right and Furball wrong. It's so close between 4 or 5 teams that you can lodge perfectly valid arguments for any of them.
I think it's clear in my mind, and perhaps it's Furball's past bias that's also at play here, guy always looked through rose-tinted glasses which is strange for a Scotsman.

Tec15

First Class Debutant
SA got bowled out for 200 on a flat track in Bangalore and would've lost by an innings and plenty if not for rain.
Judging by the way India batted against the likes of Dean Elgar and Imran Tahir on those "flat" pitches, not bloody likely that they'd win by an innings. All of India's wins in that series came after winning the toss and batting first on unprepared bunsens.

OverratedSanity

Judging by the way India batted against the likes of Dean Elgar and Imran Tahir on those "flat" pitches, not bloody likely that they'd win by an innings. All of India's wins in that series came after winning the toss and batting first on unprepared bunsens.
I didn't call the other pitches flat. Only Bangalore. And the SA lineup still got blown to pieces.

vcs

Well, the whole "Pakistan are the best team in the world" thing certainly didn't last long.

They're hapless.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
How do you figure that? Nothing passive about it, it's actually being very matter of fact. Furball has been arguing against the notion that India and SA look the two best sides of late.

Be a bit like me claiming you're at your peak righteousness.
I'm just going to quote this post I made oooh, 4 weeks ago? I'll even highlight and bold the relevant part as reading comprehension obviously isn't your strong point.
This is an important point that a lot of people are overlooking. Unless I'm much mistaken, Perth was the first time that Australia had lost a Test at home under Lehmann. You have to go back to the last time South Africa toured in 2012 to find a team going to Australia and actually winning a Test, and you have to go back 5 years to Hobart for a side other than South Africa to do it.

Australia's batting clearly has problems but under Lehmann they still have a pretty decent away record. They've won series in West Indies, New Zealand and South Africa after all. I don't think they're the best side in the world but the way cricket is at the moment, they're not a million miles off it.

At the moment, the rankings say India and I'd probably go along with that. I think too many people here when they want to discuss who "the best" are want the number 1 team to achieve Australia/West Indies levels of dominance, and also expect the rankings to follow a simple "A > B > C > D > E > F > G > H > I" pattern. Truth is, Team A might be better than Team B, but in certain conditions Team B might be able to beat team F whereas A might not. Looking at football for a parallel, Arsenal took 6 points off Leicester in the league last season but that doesn't mean that Arsenal were the best team, because results against everyone, everywhere matters.
Feel free to apologise whenever you like.

Last edited:

Zinzan

I'm just going to quote this post I made oooh, 4 weeks ago? I'll even highlight and bold the relevant part as reading comprehension obviously isn't your strong point.

Feel free to apologise whenever you like.
Where does it mention SA? Read my comment again, reading comprehension obviously isn't your strong point.

Furball has been arguing against the notion that India and SA look the two best sides of late.

Zinzan

Read what I bolded for you again, I couldn't make the size any bigger, so you may need your glasses. Then read your response again. Any confusion, feel free to clarify, although I don't think it's that complicated to understand what both "India and SA" mean.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
You said I've argued against the idea that India are one of the top sides when I've literally posted that I think India are probably the best side in the world.

I think South Africa are over-rated. That has nothing whatsoever to do with the lie you posted in order to have a personal dig.

Last edited:

Zinzan

Why bring India into it at all when that's not a position I've taken?

I think people on here over-rate South Africa and I don't think they're close to being number 1. How that turns into me being a ****wit who argues if people rate India as one of the top 2 sides is beyond me.

Still don't see an apology btw.
Read my original statement again, I said you disagree with the notion that India and SA are the the two best sides going around atm, that implies both, & that was my point, not just India. I'm not sure how that's still confusing you. Perhaps one of the other member might be able to clarify for you, then you can apologise at your own leisure.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Why mention India at all?

I don't think South Africa are one of the two best sides in the world. That has absolutely nothing to do with whether or not I rate India. You implied that I don't rate either side, which was dishonest.

Last edited:

Zinzan

Would you agree that Joe Root and Chris Martin are better batsmen than Matthew Wade?
Lol, that you can't see the difference. There's no serious argument for Martin. The general consensus from what I've read here is that as of this moment, most seem to think India are the no. 1 Test side and SA 2, which makes it 100% relevant to point out that you disagree with that notion.

The more accurate analogous question using Root should be 'Do I agree Joe Root and Steve Smith are better batsmen than KW as of this moment and my answer would be, yes.

Your absurd Chris Martin question would only work if I'd said India and Zimbabwe.

I will try to make things less complex for you in the future since the grouping clearly confused you.