• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australian Test Selection 2016/2017

adub

International Captain
If anything I thought you'd try and play down how much of a dustbowl it was to make O'Keefe's effort seem more impressive though. :p
The greatness of the One and Only SOK does not require such cheap tactics.

We have a pic of the deck to do that for us...

Tangles

International Vice-Captain
Wade ffs. Scores a one day ton against muppets and all of a sudden he can bat.

What was the point of Cartwright in Sydney if he wasn't going to tour? He batted ok and didn't bowl enough overs to bowl himself out of contention.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
swepson is dumb. wouldn't've picked agar either tbh. would have added another pacer and fawad if you must pick a leggie. marsh > cartwright is right.

Tangles

Plus, we don’t’ necessarily see it but what he adds to the team environment and what he does behind the scenes is immeasurable and he’s going pretty well for us.
Did this ****er actually watch the tests Wade played in or just reread his earlier press statement.

Spikey

the guy who only got recalled because he'll call you a **** is doing behind the scenes stuff that is "immeasurable"? im shocked

Spikey

it's kinda chicken ****, but picking cartwright for the last two tests makes sense if you had no faith in marsh not ****ing up there but do have faith in him in india

Tangles

So Darsh is the backup bat. We have 2 backup spinners, 2 ARs but only 3 pacers. They must be assuming 2 spinners for every test. Or at least that's plan A.

Tangles

it's kinda chicken ****, but picking cartwright for the last two tests makes sense if you had no faith in marsh not ****ing up there but do have faith in him in india
1 test. Sydney dayboo. That's why this is dumb. If they think Maxi or Agar should be 6 in India then they should have played in Sydney like Sok.

adub

International Captain
So Darsh is the backup bat. We have 2 backup spinners, 2 ARs but only 3 pacers. They must be assuming 2 spinners for every test. Or at least that's plan A.
I think that's definitely plan A. And fair enough too. With Ashwin and Jadeja as their aces India aren't going to be offering up bouncy green decks.

Hohns gave Uzi and Renshaw the thumbs up so likely that Smarsh is only there for 2nd Test and beyond if they want to change after the First Test (and lets face it, after we get towelled up they will panic).

I think plan A also includes either Maxwell or Agar with Wade at 6/7. It's not my preferred option, but I'm kinda ok with that. Just comes down to if they want more batting (then Maxwell) or bowling (Agar).

Warner
Renshaw
Khawaja
Smith
Handscomb
Wade
Agar
Starc
O'Keefe
Hazlewood
Lyon

is worth a small wager for Pune I reckon. Big responsibility on 7-11 to come up with some runs, but unless they grow a pair and punt on four bowlers +Smith/Warner and Smarsh in the top 6 it's probably no worse than any other batting line up we can field from this squad.

adub

International Captain
1 test. Sydney dayboo. That's why this is dumb. If they think Maxi or Agar should be 6 in India then they should have played in Sydney like Sok.
Can't disagree with that. Sydney was always set up to be a test of the preferred Indian side. Cartwright didn't disgrace himself. Offered at least as much as any other no.6 we've played since the last Ashes with the bat and didn't get enough of a bowl to say one way or the other if he wasn't up to doing the job.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
I can't see the sense in it at all. And they've done to Cartright what they did to Ferguson. Play one test and get dropped. Cartwight made a few runs as well, and looked ok.

I get "horses for courses" but I really can't see why anyone thinks MMarsh is going to succeed in the subcontinent over anyone tbh. Bit of a myth that's developed.

What I can't figure out the most is what Faulkner has done wrong. In spite of his FC average he seems the most likely to come in and average 40 at 6, plus his bowling should be well suited to India, and further on in England.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
If you class Agar a front liner, when was the last time Aust played three frontline spinners?

Did Warne, MacGill and Miller ever all play in the same team?

Shri

Mr. Glass
Expecting something special from the Aus quicks in Dharamshala. Nice weather but some way above sea level. No idea how its going to affect stamina tbh. 50/50 chance of conditions favouring swing/seam bowling.

Tangles

My concern about 2 spinners being plan A is the ability of the spinners to perform at the level needed to be competitive in India. Would have liked Forkers in the squad as a bowling AR who can bat better than Mmarsh.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
1. Too many spinners. Gonna get England'd
2. Urgh Wade
3. Poor Cartwright
4. MMarsh being block-bash at #6 really isn't awful tbh

Shri

Mr. Glass
1. Too many spinners. Gonna get England'd
2. Urgh Wade
3. Poor Cartwright
4. MMarsh being block-bash at #6 really isn't awful tbh
Eng got ****ed because they had too many bowling options and inevitably under or over bowled people at different points. The captain didn't know how to manage the resources. As long as 5 bowlers are picked, Aus should do better than Eng because Starc/Hazlewood are better than anything Eng threw up in India.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Interesting squad. I can live with the selection of a leg spinner but I have seen quite a bit of Swepson for QLD and he just isn't ready yet.

So for the T20 matches with non-Test players involved it leaves a team something like:

1. Ben Dunk+
2. Aaron Finch c
3. Chris Lynn
4. Travis Head vc
5. George Bailey
6. Hilton Cartwright
7. James Faulkner
8. Pat Cummins
9. Andrew Tye
10. Adam Zampa
11. Scott Boland

I've included Cartwright more as a hard luck on the Indian tour mate, we still rate you pick. I wouldn't be against Bailey missing out and us opting for a younger guy. One name as a left-field bolter is Tom Cooper. He is already 30 but I feel like he is one of the better bats in the country for that 10th to 16th over mark in the game. Good fielder and his off spinners have been handy too (this team already has plenty of bowling options).

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I think that's definitely plan A. And fair enough too. With Ashwin and Jadeja as their aces India aren't going to be offering up bouncy green decks.

Hohns gave Uzi and Renshaw the thumbs up so likely that Smarsh is only there for 2nd Test and beyond if they want to change after the First Test (and lets face it, after we get towelled up they will panic).

I think plan A also includes either Maxwell or Agar with Wade at 6/7. It's not my preferred option, but I'm kinda ok with that. Just comes down to if they want more batting (then Maxwell) or bowling (Agar).

Warner
Renshaw
Khawaja
Smith
Handscomb
Wade
Agar
Starc
O'Keefe
Hazlewood
Lyon

is worth a small wager for Pune I reckon. Big responsibility on 7-11 to come up with some runs, but unless they grow a pair and punt on four bowlers +Smith/Warner and Smarsh in the top 6 it's probably no worse than any other batting line up we can field from this squad.
6 of the top 8 left handers

Ashwin says "thank you"

MMarsh will have to play for no other reason than to break them up IMO