• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australian Test Selection 2016/2017

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
In the Aus SL thread it was mentioned that we should pick Smith Warner and then the 4 best players of spin in sub cont conditions. So the question is, who are the next 4 and the best keeper against spin too?

Last edited:

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
In the Aus SL thread it was mentioned that we should pick Smith Warner and then the 4 best players of spin in sub cont conditions. So the question is, who are the next 4 and the best keeper against spin too?
Wade sadly, unless Whiteman is better than I remember.

If Marsh had to select a team right now it'd be S.Marsh, Head, Handscomb and Bancroft and probably KPat in the mix. Of course a good season will change things but I think the first four will be in the selectors minds. That being said, I think apart from Marsh and perhaps Bancroft, they'd be amateurish.

Actually with someone with any knowledge of the nuances of batting offer an appraisal of KPat's technique against spin, his gimmick of sweeping seems to get plaudits but I'm not sure about the rest of his game.

Last edited:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Marsh, Handscomb, Voges and Bancroft IMO. I'm not really all that sure on Bancroft but he did well in India for Australia A so I'm picking him primarily on that. Khawaja (despite his showing in the two Tests just gone) and Ferguson would be close, I think.

Nevill's keeping to spin is fine.

Last edited:

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
I did ask for the best keeper batting against spin, so I don't see what's wrong with gnske's choice.

Some good choices so far. I think Jake Lehmann looks confident against spin from the relatively limited amount I have seen. During the summer I am going to really pay attention to how everyone plays spinners as it isn't exactly a skill I think about too often domestically. Hopefully the pitches offer some turn.

Midwinter

State Captain
During the summer I am going to really pay attention to how everyone plays spinners as it isn't exactly a skill I think about too often domestically. Hopefully the pitches offer some turn.
***Cough cough***
2015/16
Spinners, wickets, place on list of wicket takers
Ahmed 23 (14)
O'Keefe 17 (21) - 6 games
Swepson 17 (22) - 6 games
Lyon 12 (24) - 4 games
Zampa 10 (30) - 5 games
Agar 9 (35) - 7 games

Ahmed only took 2 wickets in the last 3 games. O'Keefe ave 24, Ahmed ave 34, the others were nigher.
Not the best year for the twirleymen.

On last season's performances you will be watching the Vics and the Bluebaggers a lot

Apart from Ahmed and O'Keefe, the numbers suggest that all the batsmen played the spinners quite well.

:)

Last edited:

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
I did ask for the best keeper batting against spin, so I don't see what's wrong with gnske's choice.

Some good choices so far. I think Jake Lehmann looks confident against spin from the relatively limited amount I have seen. During the summer I am going to really pay attention to how everyone plays spinners as it isn't exactly a skill I think about too often domestically. Hopefully the pitches offer some turn.
He might bat ok against spin, but he's also gotta be able to keep to it. And he's atrocious at keeping to spin.

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Everything about him is atrocious, its why he's perfect.

Doesn't matter who we take really, we'll never win unless Kohli retires, Ashwin takes a break to write his book "How Good I Am: Vol I" and Indian pitch curators everywhere have their hearts grow two sizes too big.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
India is winnable if he take the right players. If Wade is one of the best top 6 bats against spin, take him as a batsman.

As Nufan said above, it'll be interesting to watch the FC players of spin in Aus this summer. Guys like Callum Ferguson should be considered for that tour, but Australian selection policy is usually just pick the same 11 =/- a spinner/quick depending on conditions.

Compton

International Debutant
Australia should just take Faulkner.

If his "**** it hit everything for 6" mode comes off once and he hits a 34(20) that'll probably be their top score of the series.

Shady Slim

International Coach
matthew wade is a horrendous batsman against the moving ball

and i don't mean seam or swing

i mean any ball

in motion

at all

he should not be in the ODI team, and should not even be in consideration for tests

Compton

International Debutant
In Wade's defence, he is a grade A ****.

His selection would end the horrifying spell of nice guy Nevill positively encouraging his bowlers.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Australia should just take Faulkner.

If his "**** it hit everything for 6" mode comes off once and he hits a 34(20) that'll probably be their top score of the series.
This is not how Faulkner bats at all. In First class cricket he often bats quite normally and slow-scoring at times. You're judging him entirely on his ODI batting which is pretty much 100% in the last 10 overs of the innings so of course he's going to bat like that

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
This is not how Faulkner bats at all. In First class cricket he often bats quite normally and slow-scoring at times. You're judging him entirely on his ODI batting which is pretty much 100% in the last 10 overs of the innings so of course he's going to bat like that
If only Faulkner played in a debut Test, then we would know for sure.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Faulkner does still rely a lot on striking boundaries in FC cricket. Probably a side effect of playing on some dodgy wickets in Bellerive Oval when he was still getting regular FC cricket.

Compton

International Debutant
Strike rate of over 100 in Test cricket :D