Page 1 of 90 1231151 ... LastLast
Like Tree314Likes

Thread: ***Official*** New Zealand Domestic Season 2016/17

Request Your Custom Title Now! Flem274*'s Avatar

***Official*** New Zealand Domestic Season 2016/17

Starts in 2-3 weeks but I mainly began this thread so we could discuss whether William Williams is the greatest domestic cricketing name of all time or not.

A few new names here.

Oh yeah and I know they're buried in the old thread so here's some contracts. CD appear to have picked even more bowlers.

Auckland
    Cody Andrews, Brad Cachopa, Mark Chapman, Colin de Grandhomme, Lockie Ferguson, Donovan Grobbelaar, Michael Guptill-Bunce, Shawn Hicks, Dane Hutchinson, Tarun Nethula, Rob Nicol, Robert O’Donnell, Glenn Phillips, Jeet Raval, Sean Solia

Canterbury
    Todd Astle, Leo Carter, Michael Davidson, Andrew Ellis, Cameron Fletcher, Peter Fulton, Kyle Jamieson, Timothy Johnston, Kenneth McClure, Cole McConchie, Edward Nutall, Henry Shipley, Logan van Beek, William Williams, Jeremy Benton

Central Districts
    Tom Bruce, Dane Cleaver, Greg Hay, Marty Kain, Andrew Mathieson, Ryan McCone, Ajaz Patel, Seth Rance, Jesse Ryder, Ben Smith, Blair Tickner, Ben Wheeler, William Young, Navin Patel, Bevan Small

Northern Districts
    James Baker, Jono Boult, Dean Brownie, Joe Carter, Anton Devcich, Daniel Flynn, Zak Gibson, Brett Hampton, Nick Kelly, Scott Kuggeleijn, Daryl Mitchell, Bharat Popli, Tim Seifert, Josef Walker, Tony Goodin

Otago
    Warren Barnes, Michael Bracewell, Derek deBoorder, Jacob Duffy, Ryan Duffy, Josh Finnie, Jack Hunter, Anaru Kitchen, Rhys Phillips, Hamish Rutherford, Christoffel Viljeon, Sam Wells, Brad Wilson, Sean Eathorne, Michael Rae

Wellington
    Brent Arnel, Hamish Bennett, Tom Blundell, Fraser Colson, Matt McEwan, Iain McPeake, Stephen Murdoch, Ollie Newton, Michael Papps, Jeetan Patel, Michael Pollard, Matt Taylor, Anurag Verma, Luke Woodcock, Pete Younghusband
    Quote Originally Posted by Bahnz View Post
    I need u like Henry Nicholls needs batting school
    He was terrible in that series
    I need u like Ross Taylor needed to be fit
    He's way better than Henry Nicholls
    And now all I can think about is your smile
    and that ****** test series too
    Losing to Australia sucked and I miss you
    Proudly supporting Central Districts
    RIP Craig Walsh

Cricket Web Staff Member fredfertang's Avatar
    Didn't realise there are folk out there who really are called Jono

Hard work paying off

Hard work paying off
    Posted Friday, 22 July, 2016 in Community News

When you’re named after two legends of cricket, as rising Hutt Valley star Rachin Ravindra is, it’s probably little surprise that you grow up with an affinity for the game.

In the interest of being obvious, Rachin’s first name is a fuse between Indian cricket greats Rahul David and Sachin Tendulkar. That wasn’t his Father’s idea, but it’s the name the Kiwi born Indian has and so far the 16-year-old is making good on the path that has been bestowed upon him.

The Hutt International Boys' School (HIBS) opening batsman and left arm orthodox bowler was named New Zealand Cricket’s Young Player of the Year in February, after he hit the headlines for turning out as the youngest member of the New Zealand Under 19’s team at this year’s ICC World Cup in Bangladesh.

So what's his secret?

“I train quite a bit…” he suggests.

“I probably bat for two and a half to three hours a day, probably every day … so yeh it’s pretty full on.”

And that’s in the offseason.

Ravindra goes on to describe his average day.

“I’ll get up at six o’clock in the morning and go to the gym. l’ll leave for school around 7.30, because our train is actually 7:50 from the station. I finish up at school and get home at four and then until 5:30 I sort of do whatever I want. From 5:30 till about 8:30 or 9:00 I’m in the nets.”

A routine he’s followed for the best part of a decade.

What about homework and other normal after school activities?

“I do most of my work in class. It works out quite well, because it gives me time to do whatever I want in the evening - which is play cricket.

“I picked up a bat when I was really young and I just started whacking balls around. I think I just enjoyed it from then on, so it isn’t anything forced, I just took a liking to the game and I like training so it works out quite well,” he says.

His father Ravi is more than your average supportive parent, holding a level-three coaching certificate.

Ravi immigrated to New Zealand almost 20 years ago and single handedly helped grow the Hutt Valley Hawks club from a bunch of friends and acquaintances into a Wellington, and in some cases Central Districts, wide programme.

The programme’s success earned Ravi NZC’s Best Youth Cricket Initiative Award for 2014.

The devoted Father is always on hand at Rachin’s trainings, but it’s not a case of the Father pushing the son according to Rachin.

“Nah, not at all,” he says.

“I give Dad a kick up the bum actually. He’s never forced me into it. I’m always just sort of dragging him to say yeah come to training.

“I think that’s a big thing for me that comes out in the game. I think without doing the hard work, it’s tough to get too far. Some of my reasoning is just work hard and practise and practise and eventually it will come off.”

Watch this space.
    There you go. Pay your $11.25 (coupon code HALF) and drop by the Westpac Stadium training facility, any weeknight between 5:30 and 8:30. Report back to CW on whether Ravindra is ingraining the right or wrong things in there.

https://westpacstadium.bookanet.co.nz/
    Last edited by Kippax; 13-08-2016 at 02:50 PM.
    Don't squander the gold of your days making a shrine of cricket videos, trying to improve the hopeless failure, giving your life away to the Blockys, the Devciches and the Weerasundaras! Surrender your devout little cricketing heart to the inured agribusinessman.

NEW ZEALAND RAIN RADAR . AUSTRALIAN RAIN RADAR . ENGLAND RAIN RADAR

I will have to check him out
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    "You don't look like me in this world without being firm on what you want to do."

- Hashim Amla.
    Quote Originally Posted by DriveClub View Post
    He bowls with a lot of heart, his heart makes the ball bounce more

I was trying to send Hurricane on a goose chase then. Hutt Rec you'll want, to do it for real.

He gets up at 4.30 most days and heads down to the Hutt Rec indoor centre with his father Ravi.

"I get to the nets at 5am then train till 7.30, before going to the railway station and heading to school. Then I go to the nets again most nights. I love it and I can't get enough of it.

"My Dad has always coached me and Mark [Borthwick] and Ivan Tissera have been a big help too."
    Hutt Hawks working on BFP's boy Smith in India, to get the future Firebirds pace attack looking a bit better.

Nothing wrong with a good work ethic. Hopefully he puts the same emphasis on athleticism and nutrition.

Don't be jealous of the Georgie Pie super smash
    Wish him all the best. God speed young Rachin.
    1) Ross is Boss.
    2) See point 1.

Leading the charge against nuances being used in posts.

Overrated XI M Bracewell, Burns, Rahane, Don Voges, Bairstow, Alecz Day, Donovan Grobelaar, Luke Ronchi, Faulkner, Dan Christian, Permaul

Don't be jealous of the Georgie Pie super smash
    Speaking of Rachin's Dad being a coach, I see that as the next step for me. Work have said they will give me the time off. It would mean coming home very early once a week and giving up my Saturday mornings. It would give me great satisfaction to teach a bunch of young 13 year olds how to become good batsman. I would probably request a 3rd form B or C team to work with. Don't know the first thing about teaching people how to bowl but hopefully the coaching clinics would give some ideas for that.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend _Ed_'s Avatar
    Some fixtures would be nice. Hopefully they'll be out soon.

School Boy/Girl Captain Slippaah's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by _Ed_ View Post
    Some fixtures would be nice. Hopefully they'll be out soon.
    Still no NZ Domestic Cricket Schedule for 2016/2017. Domestic Player Contracts kick off on Thursday so hopefully the players know what NZC has in mind. For lesser mortals who wish to plan their summer, and take in some cricket ? Hmmm.

Finally came out today.
    2016-17 Summer Domestic Schedules

EDIT: Or not. Just a vague article.
    Last edited by _Ed_; 29-08-2016 at 05:43 PM.

Cricketer Of The Year
    Any English guys coming over like Borthwick did again do we know? I don't know whether he actually did that well when he played, if not it might have put teams off?

Quote Originally Posted by 91Jmay View Post
    Any English guys coming over like Borthwick did again do we know? I don't know whether he actually did that well when he played, if not it might have put teams off?
    Some 'overseas' players in NZ Domestic are former NZ 'A' or NZ Under 19 players who have gone local in UK County cricket. NZ would be better served if genuine overseas players like Borthwick get priority in NZ so there are new faces and diversity in those 'overseas' slots annually. Let those who have slid away stay in the UK.
    91Jmay likes this.

Hope the Georgie Pie T20 has some Star Power draw card players this season. It will be played in December/ January so if NZC get the Venues right then should achieve some spectator numbers unlike Plunket Shield and most Ford Trophy matches sadly . Triple headers over 2 days at fewer popular Venues amongst the Xmas holiday makers could work. If not the BBL will prevail.

Aw, I was hoping to have some games I could go to at Cobham.

Page 1 of 90 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread Information