• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** New Zealand Domestic Season 2016/17

Flem274*

123/5
Starts in 2-3 weeks but I mainly began this thread so we could discuss whether William Williams is the greatest domestic cricketing name of all time or not.

A few new names here.

Oh yeah and I know they're buried in the old thread so here's some contracts. CD appear to have picked even more bowlers.

Auckland
Cody Andrews, Brad Cachopa, Mark Chapman, Colin de Grandhomme, Lockie Ferguson, Donovan Grobbelaar, Michael Guptill-Bunce, Shawn Hicks, Dane Hutchinson, Tarun Nethula, Rob Nicol, Robert O’Donnell, Glenn Phillips, Jeet Raval, Sean Solia

Canterbury
Todd Astle, Leo Carter, Michael Davidson, Andrew Ellis, Cameron Fletcher, Peter Fulton, Kyle Jamieson, Timothy Johnston, Kenneth McClure, Cole McConchie, Edward Nutall, Henry Shipley, Logan van Beek, William Williams, Jeremy Benton

Central Districts
Tom Bruce, Dane Cleaver, Greg Hay, Marty Kain, Andrew Mathieson, Ryan McCone, Ajaz Patel, Seth Rance, Jesse Ryder, Ben Smith, Blair Tickner, Ben Wheeler, William Young, Navin Patel, Bevan Small

Northern Districts
James Baker, Jono Boult, Dean Brownie, Joe Carter, Anton Devcich, Daniel Flynn, Zak Gibson, Brett Hampton, Nick Kelly, Scott Kuggeleijn, Daryl Mitchell, Bharat Popli, Tim Seifert, Josef Walker, Tony Goodin

Otago
Warren Barnes, Michael Bracewell, Derek deBoorder, Jacob Duffy, Ryan Duffy, Josh Finnie, Jack Hunter, Anaru Kitchen, Rhys Phillips, Hamish Rutherford, Christoffel Viljeon, Sam Wells, Brad Wilson, Sean Eathorne, Michael Rae

Wellington
Brent Arnel, Hamish Bennett, Tom Blundell, Fraser Colson, Matt McEwan, Iain McPeake, Stephen Murdoch, Ollie Newton, Michael Papps, Jeetan Patel, Michael Pollard, Matt Taylor, Anurag Verma, Luke Woodcock, Pete Younghusband

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Hard work paying off

Hard work paying off
Posted Friday, 22 July, 2016 in Community News

When you’re named after two legends of cricket, as rising Hutt Valley star Rachin Ravindra is, it’s probably little surprise that you grow up with an affinity for the game.

In the interest of being obvious, Rachin’s first name is a fuse between Indian cricket greats Rahul David and Sachin Tendulkar. That wasn’t his Father’s idea, but it’s the name the Kiwi born Indian has and so far the 16-year-old is making good on the path that has been bestowed upon him.

The Hutt International Boys' School (HIBS) opening batsman and left arm orthodox bowler was named New Zealand Cricket’s Young Player of the Year in February, after he hit the headlines for turning out as the youngest member of the New Zealand Under 19’s team at this year’s ICC World Cup in Bangladesh.

So what's his secret?

“I train quite a bit…” he suggests.

“I probably bat for two and a half to three hours a day, probably every day … so yeh it’s pretty full on.”

And that’s in the offseason.

Ravindra goes on to describe his average day.

“I’ll get up at six o’clock in the morning and go to the gym. l’ll leave for school around 7.30, because our train is actually 7:50 from the station. I finish up at school and get home at four and then until 5:30 I sort of do whatever I want. From 5:30 till about 8:30 or 9:00 I’m in the nets.”

A routine he’s followed for the best part of a decade.

What about homework and other normal after school activities?

“I do most of my work in class. It works out quite well, because it gives me time to do whatever I want in the evening - which is play cricket.

“I picked up a bat when I was really young and I just started whacking balls around. I think I just enjoyed it from then on, so it isn’t anything forced, I just took a liking to the game and I like training so it works out quite well,” he says.

His father Ravi is more than your average supportive parent, holding a level-three coaching certificate.

Ravi immigrated to New Zealand almost 20 years ago and single handedly helped grow the Hutt Valley Hawks club from a bunch of friends and acquaintances into a Wellington, and in some cases Central Districts, wide programme.

The programme’s success earned Ravi NZC’s Best Youth Cricket Initiative Award for 2014.

The devoted Father is always on hand at Rachin’s trainings, but it’s not a case of the Father pushing the son according to Rachin.

“Nah, not at all,” he says.

“I give Dad a kick up the bum actually. He’s never forced me into it. I’m always just sort of dragging him to say yeah come to training.

“I think that’s a big thing for me that comes out in the game. I think without doing the hard work, it’s tough to get too far. Some of my reasoning is just work hard and practise and practise and eventually it will come off.”

Watch this space.
There you go. Pay your $11.25 (coupon code HALF) and drop by the Westpac Stadium training facility, any weeknight between 5:30 and 8:30. Report back to CW on whether Ravindra is ingraining the right or wrong things in there.

https://westpacstadium.bookanet.co.nz/

Last edited:

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
I was trying to send Hurricane on a goose chase then. Hutt Rec you'll want, to do it for real.

He gets up at 4.30 most days and heads down to the Hutt Rec indoor centre with his father Ravi.

"I get to the nets at 5am then train till 7.30, before going to the railway station and heading to school. Then I go to the nets again most nights. I love it and I can't get enough of it.

"My Dad has always coached me and Mark [Borthwick] and Ivan Tissera have been a big help too."
Hutt Hawks working on BFP's boy Smith in India, to get the future Firebirds pace attack looking a bit better.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Nothing wrong with a good work ethic. Hopefully he puts the same emphasis on athleticism and nutrition.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Speaking of Rachin's Dad being a coach, I see that as the next step for me. Work have said they will give me the time off. It would mean coming home very early once a week and giving up my Saturday mornings. It would give me great satisfaction to teach a bunch of young 13 year olds how to become good batsman. I would probably request a 3rd form B or C team to work with. Don't know the first thing about teaching people how to bowl but hopefully the coaching clinics would give some ideas for that.

Slippaah

U19 12th Man
Some fixtures would be nice. Hopefully they'll be out soon.
Still no NZ Domestic Cricket Schedule for 2016/2017. Domestic Player Contracts kick off on Thursday so hopefully the players know what NZC has in mind. For lesser mortals who wish to plan their summer, and take in some cricket ? Hmmm.

91Jmay

International Coach
Any English guys coming over like Borthwick did again do we know? I don't know whether he actually did that well when he played, if not it might have put teams off?

Slippaah

U19 12th Man
Any English guys coming over like Borthwick did again do we know? I don't know whether he actually did that well when he played, if not it might have put teams off?
Some 'overseas' players in NZ Domestic are former NZ 'A' or NZ Under 19 players who have gone local in UK County cricket. NZ would be better served if genuine overseas players like Borthwick get priority in NZ so there are new faces and diversity in those 'overseas' slots annually. Let those who have slid away stay in the UK.

Slippaah

U19 12th Man
Hope the Georgie Pie T20 has some Star Power draw card players this season. It will be played in December/ January so if NZC get the Venues right then should achieve some spectator numbers unlike Plunket Shield and most Ford Trophy matches sadly . Triple headers over 2 days at fewer popular Venues amongst the Xmas holiday makers could work. If not the BBL will prevail.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Let's just pray one or two out of Matt Henry, Ed Nuttall, Adam Milne, or Lachie Ferguson progress enough to be test standard first. Those are the guys we'll really need to see performing well if we ever want to see the end of Southee any time soon.
Banking on Southee to bowl better this summer at home, but was musing on this domestic season and who I want to do well.

Obviously the general answer is basically 'everyone', and particularly all the fast bowlers. Hope Henry gets some decent FC time and ODIs don't distract him too much, though for NZ he will remain stuck behind Southee or competing for fourth seamer duties. Likewise Nuttall and Wheeler are going to be stuck behind Boult for the foreseeable future. Duffy needs some work and I'm a Ferguson sceptic. There are a few of the younger ones starting out too (Jamieson, Clarkson esp) who I'd like to see improve but are a long way from playing for NZ.

However there are two players I think best case, could play so well as to demand parachuting into the current NZ side. Unlikely, but possible.

The first is Milne. He's 24 and hopefully getting to the stage where he doesn't get injured constantly. I'm impressed that when he has played in recent times, his pace hasn't been affected by the years of injury. He is NZ's only genuine out-and-out fast bowler. He needs to play a lot of FC this season (not too many ODIs), bowl consistently fast (with workload managed appropriately) and of course, take wickets at a good rate. All that and he would really complement NZ's current attack. Of course, Can Bat too. It would be glorious to see NZ with a 150km/h first or second change bowler.

The second is Neesham. This might seem surprising, coming off his disappointing showing in Australia last year and then injuries that restricted his bowling, but I still think there's so much to like about his game. Maybe my estimation of his batting ceiling has gone down a little, and I think he'll always have a weakness to real pace, but there are still test runs there. His bowling has enormous room for improvement - I hope he's been working with a good bowling coach on a few things (including head position, fall away and seam release esp) to yield better accuracy and hopefully some shape away from the right hander. I'm keeping a foot in both camps (batting all-rounder and bowling all-rounder) and hoping for a huge season in both disciplines for Otago. Bat 5 or 6, bowl first change. Then compete for NZ 6/7/8 spot with Santner, Bracewell, Craig etc.

Last edited:

Slippaah

U19 12th Man
Agree NZ needs raw pace in its Test bowling armoury. Has plenty of quality 135 kph merchants . Milne aside who in domestic cricket is the quickest ?Pace first, Test polish second perhaps?

Blain

U19 Captain
Na, not really. A couple guys on the scene can push into the 140's (Lockie Ferguson, Scott Kuggles). Other than that, either young promising quicks or 130-140 fast mediums.