Page 83 of 101 FirstFirst ... 3373818283848593 ... LastLast
Results 1,231 to 1,245 of 1505
Like Tree366Likes

Thread: ***Official*** New Zealand Domestic Season 2016/17

Quote Originally Posted by Immenso View Post
    It would be really, really interesting to compare the financing structure of NZC with CSA. Because the saffas have all of that. How on earth do they afford it?

I know SAF have a population of 40m, but I tend to think of the rugby and cricket populations and economies as fairly similar to NZ as the black population aren't very engaged.
    Yeah the unfortunate timezone is often cited here, I know that. South Africa plays at a far more ideal time for an Asian audience, even British winter viewers.
    Don't squander the gold of your days making a shrine of cricket videos, trying to improve the hopeless failure, giving your life away to the Blockys, the Devciches and the Weerasundaras! Surrender your devout little cricketing heart to the inured agribusinessman.

NEW ZEALAND RAIN RADAR . AUSTRALIAN RAIN RADAR . U.K. RAIN RADAR

International Regular
    The lack of NZ A cricket is another indictment on NZC and the appalling way it is run. Get ready all, for the selectorial approach going forward to be the 'throw them to the wolves and hope they aren't completely eaten' (read G.Phillips this season) over nurtured and put under the microscope for further proof of readiness at NZ A/even U19s level.
    Neil Young likes this.

Good question . Here are a few more . When did NZ A actually last play a game ? When is the next A fixture/ tour? Is there a current NZ A Squad/ NZ Development Squad? If yes , which Domestic players are in it ? Nothing on the NZC website ?
    Last edited by Slippaah; 20-03-2017 at 12:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kippax View Post
    Yeah the unfortunate timezone is often cited here, I know that. South Africa plays at a far more ideal time for an Asian audience, even British winter viewers.
    Yes. Almost all cricket from SAF I have watched was when I lived in the uk. Good Timezone for the bigger markets.

Still. It would be good to see an investigative comparison.

Because SAF are by far the biggest over achievers in world cricket, there is no mystery to them (eg slingers and mystery spinners who have escaped the official coaching pathways).

NZC should be trying to copy as much as possible. And the glaring holes are obvious here, and they are filled over there.

This isn't bricks and mortar hocus pocus like the cricket academy we felt we needed to copy from Australia 20 years ago.

Nuttal back for Canterbury this round, which is awesome

Still no Jamieson yet in second half of Plunket. Which is a bit sad. He retuned for last round of FT, but nothing since.

Brett Randell has FC debut for ND.

Quote Originally Posted by Slippaah View Post
    Good question . Here are a few more . When did NZ A actually last play a game ? When is the next A fixture/ tour? Is there a current NZ A Squad/ NZ Development Squad? If yes , which Domestic players are in it ? Nothing on the NZC website ?
    Last NZA series was home v SLA in Nov 2015. This got Nicholls promoted.

No future plans.

The last away A test we played was in late 2013. This tour got Anderson and Sodhi elevated immediately, plus Latham, Henry, Milne, Neesham toured.

In the last 4 years, and counting , no promising NZ player has been tested or trialled in red ball cricket in overseas conditions.

There beeen some listA tournaments they have been to in 2014.
    Last edited by Immenso; 20-03-2017 at 05:52 PM.

No Rance. That might actually leave some wickets on the table for Milne to get. If Ajaz doesn't pick up 7 or so.

And keeping on wth the discussion above. The NZ U19s have not played a test since 2008.

The NZ U19s have played 4 games outside of the U19 World Cup in the last 4 years.

Milne gets a wicket, genuine yay from me.

If Milne still come out of this injury break as a 150k Gavin Larsen. Then I will be genuinely disappointed.

But they have a SAF coach at CD, so hopes are high that people might actually be doing their jobs and someone has discovered the 4 year old footage in the vault of him swinging it, and are working it.
    straw man likes this.

Cricketer Of The Year straw man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Slippaah View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Immenso View Post
    Last NZA series was home v SLA in Nov 2015. This got Nicholls promoted.

No future plans.

The last away A test we played was in late 2013. This tour got Anderson and Sodhi elevated immediately, plus Latham toured.

In the last 4 and a bit yeairs, and counting , no promising NZ player has been tested or trialled in red ball cricket in overseas conditions.

There beeen some listA tournaments they have been to in 2014.
    Yeah this is a good point. For a while a few years ago people on this forum and plenty of others elsewhere were complaining at the lack of A tours, and then the last I really thought about it this had been remedied with the tour to India, matches against Sri Lanka and some Emerging Players matches.

But yes, it's now been more than a year with nothing at all on this front. As (imo) this is a very important development pathway I think we're really limiting the progression of players through to the international side.

Do they lack the budget? Was it someone no longer with them that pushed for these matches (e.g. Edgar)? Or do they just lack the insight and will? It has quite a 'bad old days' feel that I thought we'd moved past.
    Last edited by straw man; 20-03-2017 at 05:47 PM.

Its definitely lack of budget.

Those tour included an ICC grant of $2m.

That's why I'm now interested in ways of making room in the budget. And seeing how SAF manage to do it (plus).

Because it's definitely needed.
    Last edited by Immenso; 20-03-2017 at 06:16 PM.

Makes me sick when ND seemingly steals a tactical hint from this thread (Gibson being flat-out dropped) and immediately reaping the fruits of it.

Don't worry though, we'll see Blocky's boy's 5/46 and raise you a spell from....Peter Younghusband. Ah damn.
    Last edited by Kippax; 20-03-2017 at 10:54 PM.

Super Mario Rampage 1 Champion!
    Joe Walker will play for New Zealand in the next 12-18 months. Good bat, and excellent slipper. Like a much better version of Mark Craig.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Zinzan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Howsie View Post
    Joe Walker will play for New Zealand in the next 12-18 months. Good bat, and excellent slipper. Like a much better version of Mark Craig.
    Northern Districts lad I'm guessing yeah?

Page 83 of 101 FirstFirst ... 3373818283848593 ... LastLast

Thread Information