• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** New Zealand Domestic Season 2016/17

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I think the point some are making here isn't so much that they think he's probably guilty regardless of the court findings, but that even his side of the story makes him decidedly unlikable in their eyes. The presumption of innocence should kick in when there's a dispute over the facts, but there do seem to be some facts that his defence is admitting to which, to me, paint in a bad light even if not an entirely criminal one.

I'm not saying he shouldn't be selected if he's a free man and his performances warrant it, but it doesn't seem an unjust reason to wish others players the opportunities instead, as a fan.
I understand their argument perfectly well, I'm just not prepared to deny him an equal career opportunity as anybody else at this stage just based on what we've learned so far, provided of course he's found not guilty.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Also, CD just lost 4 wickets in 5 balls and are now 42/6 in the final session chasing 158 for the win.
Shame the blackcaps website has stopped updating all the scores after this. Would like to see whether Canterbury can close out CD, while Auckland are close to a win too and ND could still lose to Wellington if they collapse here.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Matthew Hardy ‏@matthewhardynz 13m13 minutes ago
Imagine how well Todd Astle would go in Indian conditions? @BLACKCAPS could do with him. Runs & wickets #plunketshield @CanterburyCrick
6 wickets for Johnston, 7 for Tastle and 10 for Ajaz Patel in the same round 2 match. What a world we live in.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year

Yeah looking at Tom Bruce's dismissal there, Siddons did always tell Jeets he'd do well to slip in a few more of those, to be more penetrative.

Anyway, Seifert's been bowled by McPeake now. 15 overs left.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah that was garbage, the other bowling looked quite good though. Canterbury ecstatic obviously - Astle an enthusiastic celebrater.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Yep, afaia his next trial is unrelated to the trial he went through earlier this year.
Definitely a retrial of the same one, rather than a new trial. It seems Kuggs no longer has to worry about that second female accuser who featured in the earliest media stories we read.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
A few hopefuls (messers Raval, Smith, Young, Popli etc) doing themselves no favours early on.

But on the bright side, another magnificently awful Bob Nicol dismissal for Kippax to add to this year's highlight reel.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Cue the latest round of clammering for a Tastle recall.

It is great to actually see spinners taking wickets in the second half of a first class match though. Well done to the Hagley Oval ground staff.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
I understand their argument perfectly well, I'm just not prepared to deny him an equal career opportunity as anybody else at this stage just based on what we've learned so far, provided of course he's found not guilty.
You seemed to be disagreeing with people forming their own individual opinions on this, however if you're talking about it from the NZC perspective then of course the policy they choose is less clear-cut. They would generally be advised to stick to what the court finds (and any codes of conduct they have, though I doubt that comes into it), which may open the door for his selection. That doesn't stop it becoming a big PR issue for them if they do select him though. It would be a difficult predicament for whoever has to manage that.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
A few hopefuls (messers Raval, Smith, Young, Popli etc) doing themselves no favours early on.
Yeah noticed that. Need a big hundred from Raval next week in time for him to replace Guptill for the Pakistan series.

Ah be honest, it's not happening.

Zinzan

That doesn't stop it becoming a big PR issue for them if they do select him though. It would be a difficult predicament for whoever has to manage that.
Oh the bright side, NZ cricket are well versed at dealing with PR issues.

Zinzan

Yeah noticed that. Need a big hundred from Raval next week in time for him to replace Guptill for the Pakistan series.

Ah be honest, it's not happening.
The more time that passes, the more I think Guptill will survive being a NZ test opener for the next 2-3 years, even if he continues averaging in the 20s. At least while wet fish Gavin Larsen and Hesson have anything to do with it.

Apparently they like the way he looks when he drives.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
While I'm usually primarily interested in the domestic FC matches rather than ODIs or T20s, NZ is as bad as I can remember at 6/7/8 in the limited overs sides, lacking explosive hitters or even effective nurdlers* to finish off innings. It's usually been a strength for us and it is currently for a lot of the competition. There's Neesham, Anderson and Munro though I'm having a hard time seeing any of them as the main man to finish off the innings. They'll still be around - Neesham at 5 or 6, I wouldn't mind Munro at 6 to see how that goes, or they could order Anderson to just go out at 7 and hit because I cannot stand seeing his massive forearms used to prod and poke at the ball.

But who domestically can do this job? Bruce? Seifert? Someone else?

* though I think Santner has shown promise there.

If you're looking for someone to get New Zealand harking back to some good mental manipulation of the opposition in the later stages of an ODI innings, rather than just boorish and crass pot luck, I think Chapman's probably your best prospect to keep tabs on in domestic cricket this year.

Made 1 and 57 in the game below. Freddy Walker, Dane Watson and Jono Boult suggesting it's surprisingly dry and good for spin up at Cobham Oval already.

147/5 | NORTHERN A vs AUCKLAND A

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
The more time that passes, the more I think Guptill will survive being a NZ test opener for the next 2-3 years, even if he continues averaging in the 20s. At least while wet fish Gavin Larsen and Hesson have anything to do with it.

Apparently they like the way he looks when he drives.
Jeet's modes of dismissal in the two games so far have gone a long way to booking Gup's summer. A horrendous wipe to be bowled by Jeetan and an injudicious poke off Bennett, then slip catching practice v Otago. All starts, all woeful.

I don't really understand why Scott K has stood down. His job is cricket. He's continued to play for ND, and under the premise of innocence until proven guilty - why can't he continue to ply his trade and push for higher honours? The media have hardly been camped outside his front gate and made hysteria out of it. The NZ A game isn't of any particular media value in itself either. Smacks to me of real heavy-handed stuff from HQ that is unnecessary. I won't go so far as to say it's unfair, but it just seems unnecessary.

SeamUp

International Coach
What sort of selection do you think they will go for the 'A' side ? If we being honest, it hasn't really been an ideal start to the domestic season as the guys supposedly pushing for selection (Raval, Nicholls) haven't nailed it down & then the youth (Young, O'Donnell, McClure) haven't exactly shown they can dominate domestic like some of the tried and tested are doing or have done in past (Rutherford, Broom, Flynn, Fulton).

I reckon you've still got to pick with the future in mind. No point really going to de Grandhomme.

Slippaah

U19 12th Man
Yeah Sky does have the exclusive rights to broadcast a Plunket Shield match, if they ever deemed one worthy of the production expense. They urged NZC to be very firm on this with even me and my own 240p YouTube stuff in the past.

I think they know that the average New Zealand consumer is very close to ditching their decoder and not paying them a cent during the summer. Therefore, if Consumer X has any interest at all in checking out how an emerging cricketer is looking, Sky wants virtually every second of that to be through their channels.
Dark Ages stuff. This is plainly destructive and not promoting First Class domestic cricket in NZ . Restrictive broadcasting contract agreements with national sports bodies - " if we (eg: Sky) don't show it ( when we never broadcast it anyway) then nobody can watch it" have been frowned on and overturned by various Courts for a decade or more . Sports community interests ( i.e.: the public interest and the interests of the stakeholders - fans, players etc.) have been accorded precedence by the European courts .Not these dark restrictive covenants entered into and endorsed,in negotiations with financially driven broadcasters, by opportunistic sports administrators trying to protect and fund costly bloated staff lists and their salaries. The only line of defense ( checks and balances) to this nonsense is theoretically the Board of these national sports bodies but some Boards rubber stamp what their administrators get up to. Very frustrating and unsatisfactory.