• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Sangakkara on Lara

viriya

International Captain
The brilliant thing about Lara is that he was constantly exposed to the new ball against bowlers with their tails up. The likes of Tendulkar and Ponting had world class openers ahead of them taking the new ball and putting runs on the board before they came in... Lara never had this.

Remarkable batsmen. Best player in the last 25 years.
This is a good argument for Sangakkara as well.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Are we seriously having this conversation? Guys if you wanted to do this, you could have just bumped the Official Lara vs Tendulkar thread.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Tendulkar would have gotten more accolades had he been a lefty. They just seem more elegant somehow.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Would also have gotten more accolades if he wasn't a chubster with a massive bat. Not a good combo for looking elegant.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Reckon he was always chubby though... And the bat has always been huge since he started using the MRF bat. I stil remember the 18 year old with that little Power bat though.. Good times :)

Slifer

International Captain
Are we seriously having this conversation? Guys if you wanted to do this, you could have just bumped the Official Lara vs Tendulkar thread.
This. And you lot can stop with the comparisons to other greats as well. Thread is about the great BCL leave it at that.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
This. And you lot can stop with the comparisons to other greats as well. Thread is about the great BCL leave it at that.
Yes because clearly a thread where the OP is a video literally titled Sachin vs Lara is no place to talk about Sachin vs Lara.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
But that is not the intent of the thread. And I think it is fair enough to ask people to use the dedicated thread created for such comparisons.

OverratedSanity

Sure, blame the OP for that. Don't have the usual waahh about "Oh don't talk about Sachin boohoo". Clearly it's not off topic.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Sure, blame the OP for that. Don't have the usual waahh about "Oh don't talk about Sachin boohoo". Clearly it's not off topic.

Lol... like most CW waaaahhhs, it is understandable even if it is a bit of an over-reaction. I myself didn't find it worsening to the level of pure comparison threads yet but I can see why some can be annoyed seeing it going down that route. Heck, I even posted something about Sachin right here.

Anyways back on topic, that article in TCM makes it clear how good a thinker of the game The Prince is. Question to posters here: Is it the fact that he is so good at the game that makes him think that well about it or is it the other way around? I mean, I have seen people who are naturally gifted but who don't have the genius for the game's minutiae and there are folks who are excellent thinkers of the who are not so naturally gifted as batsmen. This guy is a frightening combo of the two and it is what makes me feel for all his achievements he still underachieved as a batsman.

DriveClub

International Regular
Lol... like most CW waaaahhhs, it is understandable even if it is a bit of an over-reaction. I myself didn't find it worsening to the level of pure comparison threads yet but I can see why some can be annoyed seeing it going down that route. Heck, I even posted something about Sachin right here.

Anyways back on topic, that article in TCM makes it clear how good a thinker of the game The Prince is. Question to posters here: Is it the fact that he is so good at the game that makes him think that well about it or is it the other way around? I mean, I have seen people who are naturally gifted but who don't have the genius for the game's minutiae and there are folks who are excellent thinkers of the who are not so naturally gifted as batsmen. This guy is a frightening combo of the two and it is what makes me feel for all his achievements he still underachieved as a batsman.
Most very good to great players understand the plans bowlers are setting them up for through the field settings etc. They also will do their homeworks on each bowler beforehand. It's the execution and skill level that differs.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Yes but to be able to work out how many boundaries u need to score in a day to reach the target n then to do exactly dat is just God Mode levels of genius.

vcs

I remember I was doing some Math homework while watching that innings live on TV, late night in India. Suffice to say I couldn't concentrate long on the Math.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I had my class X Math final board exam next night... Went to **** alright but I gotta see possibly the greatest test knock of my generation ?