• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Stokes and Woakes Thread

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
In answer to the OP, always tough to compare batting and bowling all-rounders.

Stokes does need to get that bowling average heading south though, which I'm sure he will just as Freddy did.

ImpatientLime

International Regular
considering the quality of our spinners at the moment i think we have more chance of succeeding in india playing our 4 best seamers + 1 spinner than trying to shoehorn another spinner in.

MW1304

Cricketer Of The Year
I think we're focusing too heavily on the bowling to the detriment of how important top order batting will be on turning pitches. Feels like 6 bowlers is overkill when the effect of their batting will be nullified in the conditions. Are we really expecting Stokes and Ali to make the runs required of a 6 and 7 in conditions that are likely to prove really difficult for them? Both struggled with spin in the UAE, which will be magnified tenfold when India turn out dustbowls. Similarly Ballance and Bairstow have always appeared to be weak against spin to me, can we rely on them at 4 and 5, as would be the case in the scenario many are presenting? A 4-7 of Ballance, Bairstow, Stokes and Ali seems flimsy. Woakes at 8 is good but this will test his batting more than ever. Tailend runs will be harder to come by too.

We need a proper batsman who plays spin well at 5, in my opinion. Obviously a James Taylor would have been ideal, I'm really not sure who best qualifies now.

Last edited:

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Yeah he should definitely be next in line. Would be a nice to make a change from picking loads of people from the big glamorous counties as well.

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Moeen and Stokes in the top 7, Woakes at 8 and Rashid at 9 for the upcoming tour.

Not difficult. Obviously this means we say goodbye to Vince

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I think they should just keep Stokes out and go for a full time batsman, or in the alternative, keep one of Moeen or Rashid out.

Stace

First Class Debutant
Bell-Drummond's a good player of spin just ask that Aussie Fawad Ahmed, he took him apart and out of the attack on his way to a hundred.

91Jmay

International Coach
Bell-Drummond's a good player of spin just ask that Aussie Fawad Ahmed, he took him apart and out of the attack on his way to a hundred.
I'm not sure taking apart Fawad Ahmed and being a good player of spin always correlate

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Hey guys, this thread title is funny because Stokes and Woakes rhyme with each other. How funny

FBU

International Debutant
Last edited: