• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

I've had enough, Virat Kohli.......

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Also completely fair enough that Kohli is captain of this team as well #neverlostaseries

Contra

Cricketer Of The Year
All four of them stuggled early doors, some more than others. The difference between the big three (as I'll call them now) and Kohli is that they have all gone on great runs and smashed big scores, they've been excellent. Kohli merely good. Hence why Kohli still averages 40 something and the big three all 50 plus.
I don't think anyone is denying that Kohli has some catching up to do in terms of consistent run scoring to push his average up, but it's silly to suggest that because he doesn't average as much, his skill level is below the 3.

The one area Kohli was struggling with was his ability to make big hundreds, and he's starting to rectify that in his last few series. It's also interesting to note that Kohli has not played as much innings at home as compared to the other 3, in fact both Smith and Root have benefited more from playing at home and racking up the runs, that's not to criticize them of course, but I do feel that within the next year or so the distance in averages will lessen with Kohli getting a chance to play some home tests after having played overseas for the last few years.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
You are not seriously suggesting Hafeez should be in a World XI ahead of Cook are you? You didn't actually just compare those two? Hafeez shouldn't play for Pakistan abroad, let alone a World XI.
No I am not. But I am questioning the criteria. If the criteria is current as in yesterday, Smith, Warner, AB don't get in. WTF is Morkel doing there?
If Current means last two years, Cook doesn't get in ahead of Hafeez and Azhar and neither does Kohli ahead of KW. This is not to say Hafeez and Azhar are better than Cook.I just posted in the series thread that Hafeez should be dropped. But the guy averages 61 in 2014, and 59 in 2015. So if we're dropping him based on his series in England, why is Warner in SL not a problem then?

Cook hasn't always been the highest scorer in the last 2 years but we know he is the best opener in the world, so we pick him. But based on the same argument, YK, despite not having a great series, should have been picked given what a great batsman he is.

Given the state of test cricket at the moment without a dominant side, I would have liked two teams, one for Asia and another for ROW.
In Asia you play two spinners. ROW, you play Steyn, Broad and Anderson.

I do think that Kohli is class though and I'd be very surprised if he doesn't eventually end up averaging over 50. Is he up there with the other 3? Maybe or maybe not atm but he will be there in no time IMO. The dude can bat.
This. If anything, I feel Kohli is hugely underrated as a test batsman. Does he have a compelling case to be in Current Test XI ahead of KW, Root and Smith? No.
But is he a lesser batsman than them? Hell no.

People should be careful what they post about this guy now because his average of 45 and his stats in England are not going to stay that way. If those are your arguments to knock him down, it's just a matter of time before they are corrected.

Ponting and Kallis did not average 50 plus in the 90s and neither did Chanderpaul. He is at a stage in his career where his numbers are going to change a great deal over the next few years.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
If Boult had been in scintillating form, would the thread title have had Morkel instead of Kohli?

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Current Test XI for Asia

Cook
Amla
Azhar
YK
Root
Matthews
Sarfraz
Ashwin
Herath
Steyn
Anderson

ROW XI

Cook
Warner
KW
Smith
Root
Stokes
Bairstow
Yasir
Broad
Anderson
Steyn

Furball

Evil Scotsman
All four of them stuggled early doors, some more than others. The difference between the big three (as I'll call them now) and Kohli is that they have all gone on great runs and smashed big scores, they've been excellent. Kohli merely good. Hence why Kohli still averages 40 something and the big three all 50 plus.
Something Kohli is now doing.

Williamson owes his average going above 50 to playing Zimbabwe btw. I'm not a fan of the 'well if you remove his scores against X nation he averages Y' arguments but Zimbabwe are a ****ing joke at the moment.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Something Kohli is now doing.

Williamson owes his average going above 50 to playing Zimbabwe btw. I'm not a fan of the 'well if you remove his scores against X nation he averages Y' arguments but Zimbabwe are a ****ing joke at the moment.
Meanwhile, almost every batsman's average reduces when you remove minnows or the weaker sides. Kind of obvious thing to say.

OverratedSanity

It's still weird though because Howe made a big deal of KW's average being above 50 when literally a few days before playing Zimbabwe, it was sub 50.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Meanwhile, almost every batsman's average reduces when you remove minnows or the weaker sides. Kind of obvious thing to say.
You've missed the point. KW didn't have an average over 50 until he played Zimbabwe, so to give that as the reason for KW being distinctly better is weak.

vcs

I guess it must have gone above 50 after that ridiculous 2015, ending with that masterclass 4th innings ton against SL, and then dipped below again after the poor-ish return in the recent series loss to the Aussies, with the runs above Zimbabwe taking it back above.

Either way, using averages and arbitrary benchmarks to separate them at this juncture in their developing careers is a pointless exercise.

I'll admit that Virat hasn't had an extended golden period in Tests like the other three though (unless the 4 matches in Australia count), but we all know he is capable of it. I just hope captaincy doesn't weigh him down.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
It should be noted that Kane's average is sub 40 v England, SA, Pakistan and India, and he's played a fair few innings against all of them. Kohli is crap v England but has 60+ averages against Australia and us, and 47 v SA - without the ability to boost an average at all v Zim and having only played Bangladesh twice.

I mean, anyone can shake down the stats any way they want. Opinions are like assholes, everyone has one - some smell nice to some, some smell ****** to others. So argue on, my friends.

OverratedSanity

Kohli deserves his fair share of flak for being a walking wicket in England. He also deserves immense credit for having those great series in SA and Australia. Those two series performances were arguably better than any series the other three have had.

Last edited: