• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

I've had enough, Virat Kohli.......

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Kohli is not the best Indian test batsman atm. Rahane is better. Kohli gets overrated because of his incredible limited-overs performances.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Richards and Tendulkar, possibly Ponting are distinctly ahead of him, the rest are just maybes.
Ponting distinctly? Big call that. I'd never deny his WC final knock, but stretch to say he's def ahead of Kohli overall. Although you did say 'possibly distinctly' for him

Zinzan

Kohli is not the best Indian test batsman atm. Rahane is better. Kohli gets overrated because of his incredible limited-overs performances.
Not sure anyone outside of Shane Warne and Howsie overrate him as a Test bat.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Not sure anyone outside of Shane Warne and Howsie overrate him as a Test bat.
Nah I think this thread has a point in calling him overrated in tests. There has been a media presence for the 'big four young batsmen' meme in the media for a couple of years - ever since Crowe wrote that one article - even though Kohli has lagged behind the other three in average, 50+ scores and ranking. He's not even as young. I noticed Jarrod Kimber (who is normally quite good at keeping things in perspective, if a bit overly poetic) on cricinfo during the England-Pakistan series couldn't praise Root without having to bring up all of Smith, Williamson and Kohli. People seem pretty keen to make him fit into that group regardless of whether he actually does.

Last edited:

Zinzan

Nah I think this thread has a point in calling him overrated in tests. There has been a media presence for the 'big four young batsmen' meme in the media for a couple of years - ever since Crowe wrote that one article - even though Kohli has lagged behind the other three in average, 50+ scores and ranking. He's not even as young. I noticed Jarrod Kimber (who is normally quite good at keeping things in perspective, if a bit overly poetic) on cricinfo during the England-Pakistan series couldn't praise Root without having to bring up all of Smith, Williamson and Kohli. People seem pretty keen to make him fit into that group regardless of whether he actually does.
Pretty sure he's a bit of an exception to the rule. The 'big 3' has been pretty well entrenched in cricketing circles for 12-18 months now if we're talking tests, so Jarrod might have been on a sabbatical away from cricket for that time.

OverratedSanity

Yeah I agree, but I get the feeling that when people outside CW talk about the best players in the world, and make world XIs, they just pick the best players regardless of format. Even if they say it's a test XI, they let their opinions formed by watching ODIs and T20s to bleed in and they put barely any thought into it since they're not nerds like us who fine-tune our imaginary XIs down to the minutest detail.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Really? Simply talking about ODI batsmen, in India alone I can put forward Tendulkar, Sehwag and Dhoni. I could probably add more in with a bit more research into it.

Kohli may end his career as one of the best in ODIs ever but as of now, he isn't.

What has Sehwag even done in ODIs?? Iwill still say Sachin as #1 and MSD just maybe ahead but surely you are having a laugh mentioning Sehwag in ODIs in that company.

Gob

International Coach
ICC rankings

1.Smitteh
2.Rooteh
3.Williamsoneh
16.Kohlieh

So yeah there is a problem

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
I'll be unpopular for saying this but the entire personality, aggressive batting style, limited overs record thing overrates many test batsmen. Kohli is not the only one, some other examples are (on very different scales of overrating) Viv Richards and Brendon McCullum. I absolutely love all 3 of them btw.

Last edited:

TheJediBrah

I'll be unpopular for saying this but the entire personality, aggressive batting style, limited overs record thing overrates many test batsmen. Kohli is not the only one, some other examples are (on very different scales of overrating) Viv Richards and Brendon McCullum. I absolutely love all 3 of them btw.
Not sure why you'd be unpopular for saying that, it's a straight-forward fact.