• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

I've had enough, Virat Kohli.......

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
He didn't mention a format really. Across all 3 formats Kohli is the best imo, even though that's an inexact science.

My favourite bit is him saying "no doubt" just to make Howsie wahhh more
Well at least we know based on his arguments for Southee in the NZ/India thread that he won't being using statistics as an argument against Kohli anymore.

Howsie

International Captain
Well at least we know based on his arguments for Southee in the NZ/India thread that he won't being using statistics as an argument against Kohli anymore.
I don't think I've said anything abou Southee not being at his best over the past two seasons, everybody realises that. But I'm tacking Southee and backing him to be world class again everyday of the week, especially over Neil Wagner, and especially in the SC.

Nice try though

DriveClub

International Regular
I don't think I've said anything abou Southee not being at his best over the past two seasons, everybody realises that. But I'm tacking Southee and backing him to be world class again everyday of the week, especially over Neil Wagner, and especially in the SC.

Nice try though
WAGner has overtaken Southee as NZ's premier fast bowler, WAG has a large heart, afraid Southee's isn't as big

Zinzan

Nice try though
It's not that you're just backing him though, you're backing him over someone who's been world-class himself in the last 2 years.

longranger

U19 Cricketer
It's true that Virat Kohli is currently a step below KW, Smith and Root in terms of his Test career. His average of 45.06 is quite behind Smith (58.56), Root, (54.86) and KW (51.08).

In terms of 100s, he's not bad - his 12 are less than Smith (15) and KW (14), but more than Root (10). Where he does lag behind considerably - are his 50s scored. He's only scored 12 50s and is far behind KW and Root (22 each) and Smith (17).

If you add the number of 50s and 100s scored and divide it by the total number of matches played, the results are:
1. Smith: 73%
2. Root: 70%
3. KW: 69%
4. Kohli: 53%

There is a big gap in the number of times Kohli is able to cross 50 as compared to the other 3. That said, I expect Kohli to bridge the gap after the upcoming 13 Test home season.

Shady Slim

International Coach
here's food for thought in the young fab four debate - how would each respective player go if they got to face their bowling attack as well? think there would be much difference in any of them?

listento_me

U19 Captain
I think Kohli the batsman in general is very overrated. He is certainly a very good limited overs player but then again, it's a format where, throughout history I could name close to 20 batsmen, probably 30 who are/were better. Yet Kohli is consistently labeled as one of the greats alreday, something not quite done with the other young guns out there. Having said that, his run in Australia in tests is impressive but in terms of those young guns, I'd probably have it:

Root
Williamson

Kohli

Smith

Edit: If I was naming a world test XI consisting of players active on the international seen right now, I wouldn't have either Kohli or Smith.

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I think Kohli the batsman in general is very overrated. He is certainly a very good limited overs player but then again, it's a format where, throughout history I could name close to 20 batsmen, probably 30 who are/were better. Yet Kohli is consistently labeled as one of the greats alreday, something not quite done with the other young guns out there. Having said that, his run in Australia in tests is impressive but in terms of those young guns, I'd probably have it:

Root
Williamson

Kohli

Smith

Edit: If I was naming a world test XI consisting of players active on the international seen right now, I wouldn't have either Kohli or Smith.
Leave it to the French to come up with a doozy like this.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!

Root
Williamson

Kohli

Smith

You may be entitled to your opinion and I do agree that I won't have Kohli in my current world test XI either (and maybe not Smith too) but honestly, the bolded is just flat out false.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Kohli is comfortably one of the top 10 ODI batsmen ever, that's the whole reason he gets the plaudits he does

anil1405

International Captain
It would be fascinating to know who those 20-30 batsmen are who are better than Kohli in history of ODI cricket.

Zinzan

Kohli's probably already a top 5 ODI bat of all-time if we're honest... the only 2 I'd immediately have above him off the top of my head are AB & Viv. Probably Sachin too, although I think Kohli will go on to surpass him in ODIs, if not in runs, in greatness.

listento_me

U19 Captain
You may be entitled to your opinion and I do agree that I won't have Kohli in my current world test XI either (and maybe not Smith too) but honestly, the bolded is just flat out false.
Really? Simply talking about ODI batsmen, in India alone I can put forward Tendulkar, Sehwag and Dhoni. I could probably add more in with a bit more research into it.

Kohli may end his career as one of the best in ODIs ever but as of now, he isn't.

listento_me

U19 Captain
Kohli's probably already a top 5 ODI bat of all-time if we're honest... the only 2 I'd immediately have above him off the top of my head are AB & Viv. Probably Sachin too, although I think Kohli will go on to surpass him in ODIs, if not in runs, in greatness.
Ever heard of Lara? Or Inzy? Both guys who played in a far more difficult era of ODI cricket with better bowlers, more competitive pitches and far fewer fielding restrictions, this whole free hit thing and of course smaller boundaries. Kohli has a ways to go yet.