• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

South African/New Zealand draft

The Battlers Prince

International Vice-Captain
True, I think Richard Hadlee not going first was surprising. Some true ATG's though so can't blame people for who they've chosen. However Hadlee and ten schmucks could win a test.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
R1

sthphndnsn - Clive Rice
morgieb - Jacques Kallis
kingkallis - Richard Hadlee
The Battlers Prince - Dale Steyn
Flem - Ross Taylor
jimmy10 - Barry Richards
Red Hill - Graeme Pollock
AndrewB - Mike Procter
Zinzan - Allan Donald
anil1405 - Vince Van Der Bijl
mr_mister - Aubrey Faulkner

R2

mr_mister - Shaun Pollock
anil1405 - Dudley Nourse
Zinzan - Martin Crowe
AndrewB - Andy Flower
Red Hill - Shane Bond
jimmy101 - Neil Adcock
Flem - Graeme Smith
The Battlers Prince - Hugh Tayfield
kingkallis - AB De Villiers
morgieb - Peter Pollock
sthphndnsn - Hashim Amla

R3

jimmy101 - Jack Cowie
Zinzan - Chris Cairns
morgieb - Kane Williamson
Red Hill - Glenn Turner
mr_mister -
AndrewB
The Battlers Prince
anil1405 -
kingkallis
sthphndnsn
Flem

R4

Flem
sthphndnsn
kingkallis
anil1405 -
The Battlers Prince
AndrewB
mr_mister -
Red Hill
morgieb
Zinzan
jimmy101

Red

Red Hill XI

Glenn Turner
-
-
Graeme Pollock
-
-
-
-
-
Shane Bond
-

Red

Graeme Pollock going at pick 7. Steal.
Rice was probably a fair pick at #1, not too many guys with a FC batting avg of 40 and a bowling average of 22 (SR 52) over almost 500 FC games. Slightly left field though.

I'd have thought Kallis and Hadlee would've gone 1st and 2nd in this draft. Can understand Steyn going early, because there's only a couple of proper elite quicks in this draft.

Ross Taylor is a gun, and I feel one of Flem's faves, perhaps? Richards above Pollock was understandable, I'd have taken Richards if he was available.

I knew it wasn't realistic but I was hoping that one of Procter, S.Pollock or Donald would still be available to me in R2.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Rice was probably a fair pick at #1, not too many guys with a FC batting avg of 40 and a bowling average of 22 (SR 52) over almost 500 FC games. Slightly left field though.

Have to disagree there, I'd have Hadlee, G Pollock, Steyn and possibly even Richards ahead of Rice.

Sure Rice's FC average of 40 with bat & 22 with ball is phenomenal, but what would Hadlee's FC numbers have looked like if he only played FC cricket given he was 32 with bat & 18 with ball inclusive of his 86 test matches. I'd suggest his numbers would have been about 36 with bat @ about 16 with ball if he solely played FC cricket, especially as it would have meant more 'full-seasons' with Notts with no other winter commitments, IIRC Hadlee averaged 38 with Notts with bat & about 15 with the ball in his time with them.

To be clear, Rice was the better batsman, no dispute there, but I think there was a bigger gap between their bowling than batting which is why I'd rate Hadlee slightly better.

Last edited:

Red

Yeh, for sure. FWIW I wouldn't have taken Rice, as I said I would've taken Hadlee or maybe Kallis.

But Rice isn't a bad choice.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Just to be clear I took Rice because I wanted him in my team and I did not think that he would last until the end of 2nd round... not because I thought he may be the best 1st pick.... I have said it before that I rate Rice > Procter and I think that Procter was similar or close to Hadlee's level. But we will never know for sure it is personal opinion. If I was picking without any personal preference it would have been Richards or Pollock.

Bruce Mitchell
Garth le Roux.
Screw you both.....