• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best spinner in the world?

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Didn't Ashwin outbowl Herath in that series we played in SL?

Anyways, it's Herath>Yasir>Ashwin for me, but in the subcontinent atm I'd go Ashwin everytime.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I'd go Shah = Ashwin > Herath > Lyon at the moment, although Shah hasn't played much outside favourable conditions. I'm itching to see him this summer.
In the subcontinent I'd put Ashwin first, while in England, Aus, NZ, SA I'd put Lyon above both Herath and Ashwin.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Didn't Ashwin outbowl Herath in that series we played in SL?

And Shah outbowled Ashwin in Sri Lanka :p

I'd go Shah = Ashwin > Herath > Lyon at the moment, although Shah hasn't played much outside favourable conditions. I'm itching to see him this summer.
The problem with this line of thinking though is, wickets = favourable conditions, no wickets = unfavourable conditions.
One of those "so and so scored a century? oh the pitch must be flat or the bowling was crap"

Motorwada

Banned
And Shah outbowled Ashwin in Sri Lanka :p

The problem with this line of thinking though is, wickets = favourable conditions, no wickets = unfavourable conditions.
One of those "so and so scored a century? oh the pitch must be flat or the bowling was crap"
No.

Ashwin had more wickets at a slightly better average. In fact Ashwin has a better average than Yasin in all the common countries they have played, including England (where Yasir's 10-fer was negated by the 200+)

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
No.

Ashwin had more wickets . at a slightly better average In fact Ashwin has a better average than Yasin in all the common countries they have played, including England (where Yasir's 10-fer was negated by the 200+)
I was just trolling Daemon but if you're going to pick on things like that, at least do your research.
Yasir 24 wickets in Sri Lanka
Ashwin 21 wickets in Sri Lanka

Neither of them have played enough (especially Yasir) to have a proper debate based on a career.

Motorwada

Banned
I was just trolling Daemon but if you're going to pick on things like that, at least do your research.
Yasir 24 wickets in Sri Lanka
Ashwin 21 wickets in Sri Lanka

Neither of them have played enough (especially Yasir) to have a proper debate based on a career.
Aah my mistake sorry. I was sure about the average (18 vs 19 I believe) but the number of wickets I made an error.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
This comes up a lot against Ashwin but Herath averages 43 away and hasn't made a match winning impact in England, Australia or SA either. He's also filling his boots against Australia failing to cope with the spin at home. I don't think you can really call Herath ahead on the touring front.

He is, however, a far superior batsman.
England yes, but bowled OK in Australia, and actually bowled SL to victory in SAF.
Ashwin has all that needs to be good in overses unlike Herath, who doesn't give it a rip. Ashwin may not have understood how to bowl on the conditions.