• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricket History Podcasts

AndyCarter

Cricket Spectator
Hello,

My name is Andy Carter, I'm a Public History Postgraduate at Royal Holloway, University of London. As my dissertation I am currently producing a series of podcasts on early Black and Asian cricketers in England. The series covers the origins of cricket and its spread around the world, the visits of the Australian Aborigine side in 1868, The Parsees in the 1880s and the careers of key individuals such as Ranjitsinhji and Learie Constantine.

The podcasts will be posted to www.aflashoutsidetheoffstump.wordpress.com

If you're interested in cricket history, please have a listen and let me know what you think.

Many Thanks

Andy

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I was planning to write a feature about Charles Ollivierre - let me know if you plan to cover him in which case I won't bother

AndyCarter

Cricket Spectator
I'm covering him a bit in my sections about the 1900 West Indies tour and his subsequent time at Derbyshire but I'm not sure if I'll come back to him in detail yet. Please don't let me stop you writing a feature, especially as podcasts and the written word are quite different media.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I haven't made a final decision yet - there's not a huge amount of material out there on Ollivierre, but I did spend a ridiculous amount of money a while back on a rare old book that includes a section on the 1900 tour and if there is anything of interest in that I'll do it - he seems to have led a slightly odd life, certainly for the times in which he lived

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Sad to say as someone living in Trinidad, Learie Constantine is probably better known in the UK than TT. Probably one of 20th century's more interesting personalities. Will always be remembered for his wartime and post-wartime work on race relations but less well remembered is his thought that the poverty and savagery of living conditions in Nelson, Lancashire were worse than those experienced by the poor "blacks" in the Caribbean. He brought light to a number of important issues for underprivileged communities and deserves to be better regarded in both UK and TT.

Obv if that is mentioned in the podcast then it is embarrassingly clear that I didnt listen :)

Last edited:

AndyCarter

Cricket Spectator
It's worth doing a search on him in the British Newspaper Archive. I found a few mentions about his later life in League cricket after he left Derbyshire.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Hope you hang around, Andy. Be good to have another cricket history buff posting on the forum.