• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Why are Indians anti-Ganguly?

Craig

World Traveller
Why do some of the indians are there are a number of them, seem to be anti-Ganguly?

Why? I thought as a good player and has lead India to a near series win over Australia and a series win over Australia in India were Australia were favourites on both occasions.

And took them to the WC final.

I suppose that isnt enough :rolleyes:

deeps

International 12th Man
um...it's not just indians that are anti-ganguly...it's every1... he's an arrogant *****, i severly doubt if many players on the team actually like him... they prolly just pretend to like him to stay on his good side and not get dropped

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Is he arrogant? Yes. He's been like that from day one, why all of a sudden hate him? From a young teenager the first word used to describe Ganguly was 'arrogant'. That doesn't bother me in the least, what he does with the bat and where he leads India to counts for me. He scored a terrific 100 against Australia in Brisbane which many seem to conveniently forget, almost won India the first ODI in Melbourne, and hell his ODI record speaks for itself. I by no means am anti-ganguly, however I can see why non-Indians may dislike him. Indians disliking him however boggles my mind.

Swervy

International Captain
he is a poor captain though..he has glaring weaknesses as a batsman...cant field..i will never forget when he appealed for that 'catch' in the World Cup final....he is disrespectful....

yes he has done well in ODI, but doesnt make him even in the top 20 best batsmen in the world for me at the moment .

I dont think it is a case of all of a sudden people being anti-Ganguly...as long as i can remember he has been disliked

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Craig said:
Why do some of the indians are there are a number of them, seem to be anti-Ganguly?
You can't have each one of 1 Billion Indians supporting him all the time. Can you ?

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
deeps said:
um...it's not just indians that are anti-ganguly...it's every1... he's an arrogant *****, i severly doubt if many players on the team actually like him... they prolly just pretend to like him to stay on his good side and not get dropped
Speak for yourself. Not everyone is a hate monger like you.

Yeah Sachin and Dravid are really scared that they will be dropped if they don't pretend to like him. I can understand why most Australians hate him.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Swervy said:
he is a poor captain though..he has glaring weaknesses as a batsman...cant field..i will never forget when he appealed for that 'catch' in the World Cup final....he is disrespectful....

yes he has done well in ODI, but doesnt make him even in the top 20 best batsmen in the world for me at the moment.
You seriously think there are 20 better one-day players than him around ATM?
If so, could you name them?
No doubt Ganguly is a poor captain tactically, but the fact that he has turned around the performances of so many players overseas has to mean something. John Wright has undoubtedly had an influence too, of course, but Ganguly's influence can IMO not be doubted.
Yeah, he's arrogant - so what, he's got something to be arrogant about. What I hate is people thinking they've got something they haven't. Sir Alex Ferguson is incredibly arrogant - and with good reason, he's only one of the greatest managers ever to walk the planet.

Swervy

International Captain
Richard said:
You seriously think there are 20 better one-day players than him around ATM?
If so, could you name them?
No doubt Ganguly is a poor captain tactically, but the fact that he has turned around the performances of so many players overseas has to mean something. John Wright has undoubtedly had an influence too, of course, but Ganguly's influence can IMO not be doubted.
Yeah, he's arrogant - so what, he's got something to be arrogant about. What I hate is people thinking they've got something they haven't. Sir Alex Ferguson is incredibly arrogant - and with good reason, he's only one of the greatest managers ever to walk the planet.
to me success in the ODI arena, where everything favours the batting side, is irrelevent to how good a batsman it.

Yeah Ganguly is good when he knows he isnt going to get the ball up by his chin all the time.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Swervy said:
Yeah Ganguly is good when he knows he isnt going to get the ball up by his chin all the time.
Yeah that's why he scored a century facing the chin music at Brisbane. What was Ganguly's avg vs. the Aussie batsmen in Australia ? When was the last time Damien martyn so called touch artist scored a century (with or wihout the chin music) .

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Maybe it means little as to how good a batsman is in the Test arena (as has recently been discussed it's not quite nothing) but basically what you're doing there is writing the one-day game off as if it's not even cricket.
The ODI arena favours bowlers if they're good enough. One Bouncer per over is too many for me - it's just an easy way to bowl a dot-ball. Anyone can bowl a Bouncer once they can bowl about 80 mph.

V Reddy

International Debutant
Swervy said:
to me success in the ODI arena, where everything favours the batting side, is irrelevent to how good a batsman it.

In the tests in Aus he did well even with all the bouncers being thrown at him

Swervy

International Captain
well ganguly did so-so vs Australia recently a couple of decent innings..and a hell of a lot of those runs were due to overpitching.

generally Ganguly can be made to struggle vs good aggressive short of a length bowling..in fact he can sometimes look completely out of his depth

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
This is very true - it amazes me at times - and yet he maintains averages like he does.

Swervy

International Captain
Richard said:
This is very true - it amazes me at times - and yet he maintains averages like he does.
yeah he does maintain a fair average (but certainly not brilliant in this day and age).

The thing with ganguly is that if you really go for him early on, more often than not you will get him out..he is a good bet for getting out for 20 or less runs in an innings...with Ganguly if you let him get on top then he may well go on to score a bigger innings. His average has been mantained thanks to one of two purple patches lasting a few innings....but in between those times, he just doesnt perform consistantly good enough to be considered a top batsman...and that comes down to technique.

Good bowling WILL get him out (that cannot be said for Lara, tendulkar,plenty of Aussies ,Thorpe for England, and a fair few others around the world)....Ganguly thrives vs poor bowling (which in itself is a skill i guess).

I will always remember Freddie Flintoff bowling at Ganguly in India a few years back...ganguly didnt know what to do..and all that was was aggressive bowling, thats all it took.

in my opinion,ganguly in test cricket (the truer test of cricketing skill) just doesnt cut it....and if he does occasionally do so, its because the other team have let him

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Swervy said:
well ganguly did so-so vs Australia recently a couple of decent innings..and a hell of a lot of those runs were due to overpitching.
But why were Australian bowlers Over pitching ?? Why didn't they let him face the Chin Music ?? Looks like either Gillespie and co. allowed Ganguly to score all those runs or Steve Waugh was a pathetic captain to have allowed his bowler to overpitch for 2 days.

generally Ganguly can be made to struggle vs good aggressive short of a length bowling..in fact he can sometimes look completely out of his depth

Only If Poor Steve and John knew this...Gangs wouldn't have made 141 at Gabba. I hereby nomintae Swervy as the Coach of the new Aussie team.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Swervy said:
Good bowling WILL get him out (that cannot be said for Lara, tendulkar,plenty of Aussies ,Thorpe for England, and a fair few others around the world)....Ganguly thrives vs poor bowling (which in itself is a skill i guess).
Plenty of Aussies lol like Gilchrist, Langer, Martyn, Lehman, Ponting ?? Are you telling us that Good bowling will not get these Aussie batsmen ??

I will always remember Freddie Flintoff bowling at Ganguly in India a few years back...ganguly didnt know what to do..and all that was was aggressive bowling, thats all it took.
I will always remember Clueless ponting against a newbie spinner called Harbhajan Singh in the 2001 series. Does that say that Ponting is not a good batsman ?

in my opinion,ganguly in test cricket (the truer test of cricketing skill) just doesnt cut it....and if he does occasionally do so, its because the other team have let him
Yeah right - other teams have allowed Gangs to score 4500 runs in test cricket. I think Most of Ponting's runs have been because of the umpires in Australia. In recent series itself he was give at least 8 lives. If Gangs gets those kind of lives he would have scored 10000 runs by now.

Swervy

International Captain
Sanz said:
But why were Australian bowlers Over pitching ?? Why didn't they let him face the Chin Music ?? Looks like either Gillespie and co. allowed Ganguly to score all those runs or Steve Waugh was a pathetic captain to have allowed his bowler to overpitch for 2 days.

Only If Poor Steve and John knew this...Gangs wouldn't have made 141 at Gabba. I hereby nomintae Swervy as the Coach of the new Aussie team.
well as well as India batted vs Australia, I dont actually think Australia bowled as well as they could have done.

And I am glad you take what i say serious enough to nominate me for Aussie coach..cheers mate:D

ReallyCrazy

Banned
Its sad that people are not giving ganguly his due credit for what he has done to the indian team. I see that the Indian tem today has a killer spirit and this was seriously lacking a couple of years ago. These guys are playing as one but before they were playing individually. He has the knack of getting under the opposition's skin and that was never associated with any indian captain before him. Lastly, he has been the most successful indian captain to date. SOURAV GANGULY ROCKS (cactus i hope your reading this). Right now in the Indian eams, gangs is the perfect guy for being the captain and without him i feel that India might fall apart. True, he might not be the best player in team but he contributes in other important ways. And nobody can take away what he has contributed. The captain does not have to be the best performer in the team. but he's certainly got to have the ability tomarshall his troops and ganguly dos that brilliantly.

Swervy, you are basically writing off all the OD cricket that is being played. By that token, I can call Bevan a crappy player as he was crap in tests and his OD performances don't mean anything at all. If it is so easy to perform in OD matches then why aren't there too many players with a better record than gangs?

Even in tests, I wouldn't call him bad. He's pretty good. He averages around 42 which was what Mark Taylor averaged. And Mark Taylor was regarded by many as being a very good test batter (I think simply because he is from australia).

India were 62/3 at the gabba a couple of months ago with both sachin and rahul out. Ganguly comes to the middle and scores a century and basically inspires india for the rest of the series. It's not easy captaining against asutralia and yet India managed to outplay them in their own turf. IN the VB series, he started very well. If not for that stupid run out Ganguly wpould have won that first match for India. It was only in his last 5 games that he played badly. Damien "duck" martyn didn't do much better. As a player, it happens. You do sometimes get out on low scores.