• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Young/Upcoming cricket talent

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
So I just wanted a thread that allows for a look at upcoming young talent in the different nations. Players not having played for the national side and say under the age of 25.

For me the biggest prospect coming out of SA cricket right now is a young batsmen, Zubayr Hamza.Think he could be SA's next great. Another good batsmen Aiden Markram. The other player I like the look of is Andile Phehlukwayo. But unsure if he may end up as a LO allrounder only. Similarly for Calvin Savage. And I would like to see this man get into SA camp sooner rather than later Duanne Olivier.

Honourable mentions.
Sisanda Magala
Lungi Ngidi
Wiaan Mulder

I note that their also appears to be an abundance of young allrounders coming through in SA again which is good to note.

Last edited:

91Jmay

International Coach
Bit confused as you said under the age of 20 but you've listed only players who are over 20, some of them considerably.

For England I'd put forward:

Ben Duckett looks like he is going to be a beast of an ODI player at the very least

Joe Clarke has had a dip in form but still looks a marvelous prospect

Aneurin Donald has been massively inconsistent but has done some jaw dropping things (tying the quickest FC double century ever).

Aaron Beard Only 18 and has 9 first class wickets including 4/62 against Sri Lankan when they toured.

Olly Stone Really good pace bowling prospect. Moving to Warwickshire next year which is a coup for us.

Sam Curran Just turned 18 but has already played 48 professional matches. Left arm bowling all rounder with huge talent.

Mason Crane Big spinning leg spinner, only 19. Had a tougher year this year, but has the tools to be really successful.

Liam Livingstone Biggest hitter of the ball I've seen in England for years. Great start to his career.

Haseeb Hameed Bit of a cult hero around CW because of his amazingly slow scoring, check the career strike rate, but he is a good player and done a great job opening the batting as a 19 year old.

Saqib Mahmood Not played much, but when he has he looks a prospect. Mid to high 80s, strong action. Lots to like.

Daniel Bell-Drummond Been spoken about as a future England player for years, but has finally shown consistent form. Great natural talent, free scoring opener.

Last edited:

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Sorry, meant to say age of 25... very difficult with under 20 years of age...

Edit: apparently not looking at your list.

Had heard of Bell-Drummond and Duckett. Duckett looks a particularly great prospect.

Last edited:

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Overtons and Topley looked really good from the last batch of youngsters. What's happened there?

Marius

International Debutant
I note that their also appears to be an abundance of young allrounders coming through in SA again which is good to note.
That was what made us competitive in the 1990s I think - we had so many good all-rounders around in those days. Good to see that we might going through another phase like that.

91Jmay

International Coach
Overtons and Topley looked really good from the last batch of youngsters. What's happened there?
Topley was rough at the T20 world cup and been injured all year so far.

Craig Overton is still a pretty good bowling all rounder prospect to be fair, I should have included him. Jamie is just really fast, nothing more.

91Jmay

International Coach
Yeah he has to make it. Good record as well. Can't imagine South Africa ever running out of quick bowlers.

FBU

International Debutant
Tom Curran
Sam Curran
Jofra Archer
Matt Fisher
Haseeb Hameed
Tom Moores
Joe Clarke

BeeGee

International Captain
I was young and upcoming once.

I didn't come hard enough.

Now I'm old and don't come at all.

Shady Slim

International Coach
australia's got a young guy called arjun nair (from memory) who has a very bright future ahead of him

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Heazlett, Renshaw, Sangha, Bancroft could all do nicely for Australia.

Also Jake Doran's twin brother who didn't ruin his life by moving to Tasmania.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
There's a kid in Burgeinho's rep team who I don't want to name on here because he's only 14 and it doesn't seem right to do so. Anyway, the kid is a gun and I reckon he may well make it. He's a left handed top order batsman with an amazing technique and has so much more time than any other kid I've seen in decades. He's also a very handy medium pacer and has the best hands I've ever seen in slips for a kid his age. He's off to grade this year, played Green Shield at 14 last year and is in the NSW side for his age group. Dominated the rep season completely - I think he had one score of less than 50 all season.

Anyway, he's a terrific kid too. Dedicated, has no ego about him and works really hard. Downside is he's already had some injuries in the past year or two, but the kid has so much game its crazy.

Having said that, the last kid I saw who was that good was Steve Karam who made 301 not out batting at three in a 55 over junior game, played A Grade at 15 and was making first grade tons by 17. He now plays A Grade in the park for Guildford Leagues, so anything can happen. Steve's a cracking bloke, too fwiw.

Slippaah

U19 12th Man
NZ does not have an 'A' squad at present but of the U 25's keep an eye out for:

Nuttall,Chapman,

Honorable mentions:

K.McClure,W.Young, R.O'Donnell,G Phillips

25+

T Bruce, L Ferguson,Popli,B Smith