• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Brett Lee is going home

Craig

World Traveller
Well he is heading back to Australia due to ankle injury.

Well who should replace him and why? Also should it be another quick or another spinner?

Shaun Tait springs to mind. I guess they might want another quick just in case with Michael Kaprawicz.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
I think Australia will need an experienced bowler because it's going to be tough yakka against Sri Lanka it seems.

Bichel anyone?

V Reddy

International Debutant
I hope they take a risk with Tait. His type of action and bowling will help in the subcontinent

Craig

World Traveller
Tim said:
I think Australia will need an experienced bowler because it's going to be tough yakka against Sri Lanka it seems.

Bichel anyone?
Well he might be contention. However it better be soon as he is going to play in the Pura Cup final.

iamdavid

International Debutant
Well the main contenders would be Bichel & Bracken....... with Nicholson , Wright , Tait & a couple of others as very remote possibility.

Id have to agree that experience will be vital on this tour , the Sri Lankans have already shown they arent just going to roll over & die , the decks are dead & buried as far as seam bowling is concerned so an experienced campaigner in the mould of Bichel/Wright would be preffered to a tear-away in the mould of Tait.

Bichel's bowled well since being dropped but he didnt look very flash in the subcontinent in November so who knows.

Bracken also bowled well for New South Wales in the just completed Pura Cup match , but I hold my view he shouldnt get anywhere near the test side , at least no time soon.
He will provide a bit of variety & perhaps control (if on song) but I think we have better options.

Paul Rofe might come into consideration as his control is test standard.
But I dont really think he's got the pace/movement to trouble them on those sorts of pitches.

Damien Wright offers similar control & slightly more pace with the ball , his batting would be quite an asset in Sri Lanka & would give the side alot more depth.

Tait may well come into consideration as he's young & bloody quick , plus with Lee missing the squad is lacking raw pace (not that this is a crucial ingredient by any means ;) ).
But I really dont think he's ready for test cricket yet , his control / stamina needs alot of work & on those sorts of wickets he's going to be punished every time he drifts slightly off line , Sri Lanka is not the place for that sort of bowler to make his debut.

Nicholson is an option & like Wright his batting & feilding would be a bonus.

Dont think Im crazy but I reckon Joe Dawes could be a dark horse for selection , at 34 with no previous international experience you wouldnt think so , but he's got good control , great work ethic & just runs in & hits the seam all day long , he could be one to present a threat in those conditions.

Watson , Noffke , Inness & a third spinner are all very remote possibilites but I dont really see it happening.

Craig

World Traveller
Bruce Yardley said something about Brad Hogg.

Ask Andre, he seems to know these things who is going or not.

mavric41

State Vice-Captain
I think with the pitches there they will go with Brad Hogg, although I heard that Kaspa has a sore shoulder now.

Yeah that's funny noone mentioned Bic Mac. Didn't do that well against Queensland but Warney didn't exactly break down any barriers either.

I think otherwise it will be Bracken/Tait. Dunno why Tait, in fact I have really no reason for it at all. I just think he's capable of tearing apart a batting order. I think it might be because I read something about Australia thinking that if they used pace in Sri Lanka as a weapon, they should look to blast the Sri Lankans out.

The reason for Bracken is because of his performance in the TVS cup. Quite simply, he bowled brilliantly.

Craig, you're a pedant. Shut up.

Quite simply, it doesn't mean nothing. It shows:
A) He can bowl.
B) He can bowl in conditions that aren't necessarily good for him.

It may not be directly relevant, but it surely does not mean nothing.

Linda

International Vice-Captain
Yeah should be McGrath. All this crap about having to do something worthwhile is ridiculous. As Ged said, Warney didnt, and I think the selectors would hold them in simalar regard.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
mavric41 said:
What about Glenn McGrath?

my thoughts exactly - even if he doesn't take many wickets he can keep it tight down one end for Warnie :)

Tait, Nicholson or Noffke would be the others likley to go over

Craig

World Traveller
furious_ged said:

Quite simply, it doesn't mean nothing. It shows:
A) He can bowl.
B) He can bowl in conditions that aren't necessarily good for him.

It may not be directly relevant, but it surely does not mean nothing.
Well he didnt display that in Sydney.

Nobody can tell me to shut up here, unless they sack me and ban me in the process.

Bowling with a white ball is different to a red one. I can control a white one better then a red ball. And some bowlers cant control a white ball, but can control a red. Case in point James Kirtley.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Linda said:
How can bowling well at ANY time mean nothing? Thats just stupid Craig.
He clearly can't bowl at ANY time though. Craig has a very valid point. In ODI cricket, you never really have to bowl with an 'old' ball. The ball will always be withing 50 overs of age, but in Tests, there's at least 30 overs between and that's when, from all reports, Bracken has been shown to struggle - with the old ball.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
furious_ged said:
Totally unnecessary and it would be greatly appreciated if you could post your future responses without the impulse insult at the introduction (or anywhere for that matter).

So you're saying just because I tell you to shut up, that automatically makes you right?

I wouldn't say it unless you were dead wrong.

Furthermore, I don't see a problem in a 30-over window where Bracken is not as effective as others. I don't see why he needs to be if he is a good new ball bowler. Nobody is forcing you to use him between overs 50-80. There are plenty of bowlers who are good with the old ball; use them. That's what they're there for.

Last edited: