• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Brett Lee is going home

SquidAU

First Class Debutant
age_master said:
have you ever seen Ryan Campbell bat?
Douglas Marillier was another one who pulled off some tremendous shots late in the innings, against Australia in Perth in 2001, a VB series match.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
SquidAU said:
Douglas Marillier was another one who pulled off some tremendous shots late in the innings, against Australia in Perth in 2001, a VB series match.
I remember it fondly. Zimbabwe only lost by 1 or 2 runs in the end. It was some of the best improvisation I've ever seen, with helped lobs overs short fine leg and the keeper. Wonderful to watch. The closest Australia has ever come to beating Australia.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
marc71178 said:
Who was it he played and came in at 10 and hit an unbeaten 50 with some scoops over the keeper?
Swervy said:
i think that was vs India
'Twas indeed, and he played an innings including some similar shots in that final C&U 2000\01 group game against Australia. Didn't quite manage to win the game, though, despite a fine century from Carlisle.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
age_master said:
have you ever seen Ryan Campbell bat?
Fortunately not - rumour has it he's one of the worst sloggers\improvisers around. About as bad a looking batsman as you'll see by my reckoning.
And even so, he still can't score off a delivery pitched anywhere, I can assure you of that, whether having seen him bat or not. Because there are deliveries a batsman, no matter who, cannot do anything with.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Richard said:
Because there are deliveries a batsman, no matter who, cannot do anything with.
You mean like Balaji and his mate were scoring runs off the Pakistani yorkers in the last ODI they played?

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Richard said:
Fortunately not - rumour has it he's one of the worst sloggers\improvisers around. About as bad a looking batsman as you'll see by my reckoning.
And even so, he still can't score off a delivery pitched anywhere, I can assure you of that, whether having seen him bat or not. Because there are deliveries a batsman, no matter who, cannot do anything with.
You are kidding right? As much as Ryan Campbell scores quickly and often slogs he is a very technically correct player. I recently saw him score a 93 against Queensland at the 'Gabba. He played alot of cover drives, on drives and cut shots along the ground and looked very sound. Of course in there were the pull shots for six and lofred off drives, all the mark of a class batsman. Don't judge someone until you have seen them play, even better to see them live.

Eclipse

International Debutant
Richard said:
He is a slogger IMO but he is much more than that as well.

Firstly he does have a good techneque and he can play every single shot in the book

He trys to slog to much in OD games and he pays the price but in FC cricket he shows just how good a batsman he actualy is all be it a very aggresive one.

You may not like some of the shots he plays but purely for the sake of making you question what is and is not possible to do with a bat you should come watch him play if you ever get the chance.

I remember seeing him charge Andy Bichel once and then cross bat (slog) a short ball in a pullshot like manner over extra cover for six.

As unbeleivable as it sounds it looked even more astonishing and the thing is he has been know to play simular shots and get away with them over his carear.

I also remember him hitting a six over fine leg in a grade match about five years ago. He moved outside offstump and played a straight drive over fine leg :O he was facing the keeper as he played the shot.

Is it imposible yes well I though so but he managed to pull it off.

Last edited:

Eclipse

International Debutant
Craig said:
You from Perth Eclipse?

You can include his little hoik shot as well.
Hell No !! but I went up there with a friend to watch the tennis (hopman cup) & see a few relitives and I got bored so went to one of the grade matches.

It was bit of a holiday we stayed there for about 4 weeks.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
Mister Wright said:
You are kidding right? As much as Ryan Campbell scores quickly and often slogs he is a very technically correct player. I recently saw him score a 93 against Queensland at the 'Gabba. He played alot of cover drives, on drives and cut shots along the ground and looked very sound. Of course in there were the pull shots for six and lofred off drives, all the mark of a class batsman. Don't judge someone until you have seen them play, even better to see them live.
yeah i rate Campbell quite highly as a batsman, plays all the shots and than some...

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Mister Wright said:
Don't judge someone until you have seen them play, even better to see them live.
The first part is fair enough, but it's far better to see someone on a TV screen with a well-placed camera than to see them in a stand God knows how far away.
There are merits, many of them, in watching cricket live, but optimum view of stylish batting is not one of them.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Richard said:
The first part is fair enough, but it's far better to see someone on a TV screen with a well-placed camera than to see them in a stand God knows how far away.
There are merits, many of them, in watching cricket live, but optimum view of stylish batting is not one of them.
Please!...Once again you have managed to astound me. How anyone can think that viewing cricket on television is superior to watching a game live is beyond me. You can pick up so many more details watching a game live that the television cannot give you.

It is far easier to see if a batsman is technically correct and bowlers actions at the venue. Fair enough you can watch it several times as television coverage over-replay things, but you get replays at a game aswell. From the stands you can see the entire ground, you can pick what you want to watch - so if you want to watch the batsman the whole time you can, you are not limited to what the director decides to show you on t.v. (eg. - bowler running in, and no vision of the batsman).

Maybe in England the grounds are not constructed to be able to view the games in the best possible manner, but 10 minutes at the 'Gabba and you will find there is not a bad seat in the stadium.

Craig

World Traveller
It depends on where you sit. If you sit higher up you can see more. I tend to sit lower closer to the action and thus maynot see as much.

Swervy

International Captain
Mister Wright said:
Maybe in England the grounds are not constructed to be able to view the games in the best possible manner, but 10 minutes at the 'Gabba and you will find there is not a bad seat in the stadium.
i know this is off the topic, but remember when the gabba had the track around it,made the getting of autographs a bit tricky sometimes..remember getting David Gowers racing over the track..and then my pen ran out so he had to use some other kids pen a couple of minutes later..actually pens running out seemed to happen quite alot,I got Bothams once and all it was was an inkless indentation in my book