• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Brett Lee is going home

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
age_master said:
my thoughts exactly - even if he doesn't take many wickets he can keep it tight down one end for Warnie :)

Tait, Nicholson or Noffke would be the others likley to go over
Personally I'd like to see Tait back up his first season before he is selected for Australia.

Haven't seen much of Nicholson, so can't really comment.

If Noffke is selected it will be a joke, he has hardly looked like taking a wicket this season.

Linda

International Vice-Captain
Mister Wright said:
Agreed, Bracken showed this summer that he should never be let near the Baggy Green again.
I agree, I dont like Bracken at all AND I dont want him to go, clealy McGrath is the man for the job.
I just dont think someone can blow off some magnificant performances on tough pitches, and not consider them at all, whether it be in OD cricket or not.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Craig said:
But it means nothing in regards to Tests.
I don't subscribe to this theory that the 2 are completely unrelated - They're still showing ability to play International Cricket - and a lot of that is in the mind.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
The ball will always be withing 50 overs of age, but in Tests, there's at least 30 overs between and that's when, from all reports, Bracken has been shown to struggle - with the old ball.
Yes, and this is Sri Lanka - so how much do you think he'll be called onto to bowl in that time?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
age_master said:
Tait, Nicholson or Noffke would be the others likley to go over
Noffke? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Seriously, what on Earth does everyone see in that guy? (Yes, I have seen him bowl)

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
furious_ged said:
Craig, you're a pedant. Shut up.

Quite simply, it doesn't mean nothing. It shows:
A) He can bowl.
B) He can bowl in conditions that aren't necessarily good for him.

It may not be directly relevant, but it surely does not mean nothing.
It is not directly relevant. Hence, it should not be considered when discussing selection for Test-matches; it shows:
A) He can bowl - in one-day cricket.
B) If conditions aren't good for him, he can't bowl well in them. But in one-day cricket there is no such thing as conditions that aren't good for seam-bowling - accuracy is accuracy on any pitch.
Not that, of course, the best bowlers are "suited" to any certain conditions in the First-Class game either. As I've said so many times, outstanding bowlers are suited to all conditions.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Linda said:
How can bowling well at ANY time mean nothing? Thats just stupid Craig.
Bowling well in the First-Class game and bowling well in the one-day game are different things - all right, they don't mean nothing, but they don't mean anything worth considering in selection.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
furious_ged said:
So you're saying just because I tell you to shut up, that automatically makes you right?

I wouldn't say it unless you were dead wrong.

Furthermore, I don't see a problem in a 30-over window where Bracken is not as effective as others. I don't see why he needs to be if he is a good new ball bowler. Nobody is forcing you to use him between overs 50-80. There are plenty of bowlers who are good with the old ball; use them. That's what they're there for.
And you're supposed to go 30 overs without bowling a front-line bowler? In 40 deg-C heat?
And where on Earth is the evidence that Bracken is a good new-ball bowler in Tests anyway? Where's the evidence that Bracken is a good bowler in Tests, full-stop?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
marc71178 said:
I don't subscribe to this theory that the 2 are completely unrelated - They're still showing ability to play International Cricket - and a lot of that is in the mind.
The mind can play a part in failure, but it can't play a part in success. Not perfect, but pretty well explained, and I think you can catch the drift.
Showing ability to play in one-day international cricket doesn't mean you're showing ability to play in First-Class international cricket. The same way showing ability in domestic First-Class cricket doesn't mean you're showing ability in domestic one-day cricket and vice-versa.
The two game-forms aren't completely unrelated, but they're not similar enough for success in one to be considered in selection for the other. There are countless examples of that.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
PY said:
Is that sarcastic? ;)

If not, Kim's Photos
No, belief-defyingly, I actually forgot about the green-and-gold caps. :duh: :duh: :duh: :duh: :duh:
I really don't know how that's possible when I've seen them so many times.:rolleyes:

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Richard said:
The mind can play a part in failure, but it can't play a part in success.
Oh it can.

The best players are all mentally strong enough to cope with the pressure of the game.

Richard said:
As I've said so many times, outstanding bowlers are suited to all conditions.
Funny, I would have thought it was the fact they could bowl in adverse conditions that makes them great bowlers. Not 'tother way around.

iamdavid

International Debutant
Tait called up

Very interesting , its highly unlikely he'll play in which case he's just there for the experience which IMO is a decent move.

The selectors comments indicate he's not in their eyes the next best paceman in Australia (ie better than McGrath & Bichel :lol: )
but simply a like for like Lee replacement.

Despite being a huge fan of his Im not of the view that he's ready for test cricket just yet , but taking him along to get a taste of it cant hurt.