• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Those who proved you wrong

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Okay, so the title sounds a tad egotistical, like it's all about us...

Thought of this whilst watching Wagner steaming in. Someone I completely wrote-off a couple of years back who of course has turned out to be pretty damn good.

Those cricketers you had wrongly written-off, who turned out to be decent or in some cases, very good.

Top 5 for me;

Neil Wagner - That he wasn't anywhere near Test standard.
Andrew Flintoff - The '05 Ashes, that he'd even go close to succeeding against that Australian side.
Grant Elliott (WC squad) - Enough said.
Steve Smith - That he'd be merely a decent Test batsman.
Hashim Amla - Thought he'd be adequate at best.

Yours?

Last edited:

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
thought KW as a total geek when I first saw him bat definitely didn't think he'd reach the heights he has

Also predicted Phil Hughes to blitz every batting record and end up with a Bradmanesque average after his initial SA series

fredfertang

I thought Simon Kerrigan would go on to be one of the great English spinners - shows how little I know

African Monkey

U19 Vice-Captain
Didn't think BJ Watling would last long at all in test cricket but is now a very reliable player.

Nathan Lyon, although he's no world beater, has done very well for himself in the test game. Thought he'd play 3 tests max before Australia would move on as they loved to do a few years back.

All I can think of at this stage.

grecian

I think Smith is going to be on a lot of peoples lists, mibe included. TBH I think there are probably too many too remember depressingly. At present, I think I'm wrong about Stoakes and Woakes, but that could change.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Thought the same about Lyon, but not because of his abilities but because Australia's spin pool has generally been mediocre.

Zinzan

I thought Simon Kerrigan would go on to be one of the great English spinners - shows how little I know
That's Umar Akmal for me. I thought he'd be the next 'great batsman' following his 129 & 75 on debut in a low scoring Test against NZ in '09, an attack including Bond, Martin, O'Brien & Vettori in NZ conditions.

Also Tim Southee's test batting. Smashes 77 off about 40 balls on debut, only to never get close to that score since.

Last edited:

91Jmay

International Coach
I was calling for Joe Root to be dropped for a while ( I think from the ODI team but it may have been from all forms), thought he was overrated. I'm glad I'm not a selector.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
One of each. John Crawley I thought was going to be a high quality Test batsman. Swann I didn't think was going to be a Test bowler at all,

TheJediBrah

I thought Glenn Maxwell would hit god mode after the 2015 World Cup, but he's turned to ****. Couldn't even score runs in the IPL.

I underestimated Hazlewood. Thought he was by far the worst out of him, Pattinson, Starc and Cummins. Also thought Starc was meh, and that Pattinson was the real deal.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Smith
Ashwin
Woakes (maybe too early)
Herath
Misbah (I always liked him but I thought he was finished in 2010 when he was dropped)
AB De Villiers (didn't think there was anything special when he started)
Ishant (in the sense that I can't believe someone who bowls like him has played 70 tests and will most likely play more)

Last edited:

Daemon

I thought Glenn Maxwell would hit god mode after the 2015 World Cup, but he's turned to ****. Couldn't even score runs in the IPL.

I underestimated Hazlewood. Thought he was by far the worst out of him, Pattinson, Starc and Cummins. Also thought Starc was meh, and that Pattinson was the real deal.
Yeah same here with Maxwell. Shame.

I thought Pujara by now would be on KW levels of awesomeness. Still has it in him.

Was very wrong about Kohli. Thought he'd be poo after he played in the 2011 Windies series.

91Jmay

International Coach
Maxwell dropped from ODI squad today wasn't he? He isn't getting any younger, really needs to make the improvements in the next 12 months or could be curtains for him.

anil1405

International Captain
Umar Akmal and Darren Bravo.

Two wasted talents who could have achieved much more than they have.

vcs

Never thought Chanderpaul would go on to accumulate as many runs as he did over his career when I saw him tormenting us around the early 2000s. Always saw Sarwan and Hooper as more dangerous. The old "style-over-substance" fallacy I guess..

OverratedSanity

Thought Amla , KW, Root, Smith would be terrible or at best average. I also had Sreesanth pegged as a lock for the best Indian pacer since Kapil.