• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

West Indies Test Team vs T20 Team

Ilovecric

U19 Cricketer
These are all the players who aren't playing in the test match against India but are playing T20 right now.

Gayle
Simmons
Dwayne Bravo
Sarwan
Pollard
Ramdin
Russell
Darren Sammy
Ravi Rampaul
Jerome Taylor
Sunil Narine

12th - Badree
13th - Cotterel
14th - Shiv - considering what Misbah is doing right now it's amazing Shiv can't make WI team.

Pretty awful to think about. People wonder why WI cricket is dying ? Careless management of players and sadly they will continue to rise in T20 because all the talent is heading towards it.

Last edited:

Shady Slim

International Coach
gayle's back is broken but iirc he's said if he fixes it he wants to get back in to tests

and badree as much as i like him would be monstered in tests, ditto narine

Ilovecric

U19 Cricketer

Shady Slim

International Coach
his style just isn't very conducive to test matches, where batsman could block the variations instead of wildly slogging, and wait for the bad ball (and that would most definitely come) to feast on him

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Nah I think you're judging Badree's potential Test bowling entirely on the way he bowls in T20, which is flawed. I'm sure if he played Tests he'd bowl a bit differently, ie a style more suited to Tests.

Also I think Gayle is bull****ing a bit about his back. It's a great excuse to only focus on easier and more lucrative T20 cricket without being labeled a sell-out.

morgieb

Nah I think you're judging Badree's potential Test bowling entirely on the way he bowls in T20, which is flawed. I'm sure if he played Tests he'd bowl a bit differently, ie a style more suited to Tests.

Also I think Gayle is bull****ing a bit about his back. It's a great excuse to only focus on easier and more lucrative T20 cricket without being labeled a sell-out.
Except Badree's only played 12 FC matches and has never taken more than 2 wickets in a FC innings. He's just a **** red ball bowler.

morgieb

rubbish. He just doesn't give a **** and has focused all his development and training on T20. He doesn't even play List A anymore.
There was a 3 year gap between his last FC game and his first T20I game. He also didn't play francise T20 until 2013. I don't think so.....

Niall

International Coach
A bit of both I think, missed plenty of t20 cricket with moans about his back.

I don't know if its as clear cut with Gayle to label him as a mercenary, he must have some sort of interest in playing test cricket, or why wouldn't he have retired from the format?

TheJediBrah

There was a 3 year gap between his last FC game and his first T20I game. He also didn't play francise T20 until 2013. I don't think so.....
I don't get your point? If anything this just further shows that he was a completely different quality of cricketer when he played First-class cricket than now. 3 Years can make a big difference in a player's development.

morgieb

I don't get your point? If anything this just further shows that he was a completely different quality of cricketer when he played First-class cricket than now. 3 Years can make a big difference in a player's development.
My point is that essentially that the reason he wouldn't go good in Tests is because his history suggests he's just not suited to the format. He's a great T20 bowler because of how accurate he is, but he just lacks other tricks to make him a weapon with the red ball. If he was actually a good red ball bowler, he'd have played more FC cricket pre his T20I/franchise T20 debuts.

Also worth noting he's 35. It's not like he was some young kid that saw the money in T20 and harnessed his game for that, he's an old veteran who didn't quite cut the mustard for FC cricket but had skills that would play very well in white ball cricket.

morgieb

That said I'm more inclined to agree with you rather than Shady Slim wrt Narine. He'd actually be a pretty good Test bowler if he wasn't so good at T20 (although the fact that he's a chucker make it difficult to determine if this is still the case)

TheJediBrah

My point is that essentially that the reason he wouldn't go good in Tests is because his history suggests he's just not suited to the format. He's a great T20 bowler because of how accurate he is, but he just lacks other tricks to make him a weapon with the red ball. If he was actually a good red ball bowler, he'd have played more FC cricket pre his T20I/franchise T20 debuts.

Also worth noting he's 35. It's not like he was some young kid that saw the money in T20 and harnessed his game for that, he's an old veteran who didn't quite cut the mustard for FC cricket but had skills that would play very well in white ball cricket.
Yes if your point was that if he were selected right now to play Tests that he probably wouldn't be very good, I would absolutely agree.

91Jmay

International Coach
He tried to play FC cricket from the age of 20 to 30 and played 12 games. He was a **** red ball cricketer. He isn't a young player who focused his entire game on T20. It wasn't even around when he turned professional.

Shady Slim

International Coach
That said I'm more inclined to agree with you rather than Shady Slim wrt Narine. He'd actually be a pretty good Test bowler if he wasn't so good at T20 (although the fact that he's a chucker make it difficult to determine if this is still the case)
narine before getting caught for throwing it for sure

i feel that his style just doesn't suit tests and he'd be more ajantha than muttiah in terms of mystery spinners - ajantha mendis didn't suck by any means (monstered obv an exaggeration) but wasn't as great as all the mystery spinner hype led many to believe

TheJediBrah

He tried to play FC cricket from the age of 20 to 30 and played 12 games. He was a **** red ball cricketer. He isn't a young player who focused his entire game on T20. It wasn't even around when he turned professional.
Come on mate it's common sense. He played his last FC game in 2009. He didn't even play T20 until 2013 or something. There's every chance he would have been just as **** at T20 as he was at FC if he played it in 2009 and earlier.

Saying "He's always been good at T20 and **** at First-class" is just ignorant. Likewise "He was a **** red ball cricketer". Absolutely pointless statement with no reason or evidence behind it. For all we know he was just a **** cricketer in general when he played First-class.

narine before getting caught for throwing it for sure

i feel that his style just doesn't suit tests and he'd be more ajantha than muttiah in terms of mystery spinners - ajantha mendis didn't suck by any means (monstered obv an exaggeration) but wasn't as great as all the mystery spinner hype led many to believe
You can say this about so many modern T20 cricketers. Do they play T20 because they wouldn't be any good at Tests or are they no good at Tests because they focus on T20? Impossible to say in many cases, and probably more often than not it's a little bit of both.

Last edited:

91Jmay

International Coach
He was a fantastic white ball bowler from virtually his first year. You are talking total bollocks. He was and is a **** red ball cricketer and has always been a great white ball cricketer. No idea why you are pretending otherwise.

TheJediBrah

He was a fantastic white ball bowler from virtually his first year. You are talking total bollocks. He was and is a **** red ball cricketer and has always been a great white ball cricketer. No idea why you are pretending otherwise.
You are still not making any sense.

But I can't see this going anywhere so I'll just leave you to it.