• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Batting for a draw XI's

kingkallis

International Coach
Sunil Gavaskar (c)
Manoj Prabhakar
Rahul Dravid
Che Pujara
Sachin Tendulkar
Ajinkya Rahane
Nayan Mongia +
Anil Kumble
R Ashwin
Javagal Srinath
Zaheer Khan
-----
Gary Kirsten
Graeme Smith (c)
Hashim Amla
Jacques Kallis
AB de Villiers
Faf Du Plessis
Brian McMillan
Shaun Pollock
Mark Boucher +
Hugh Tayfield
Dale Steyn

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Cook
Atherton
Hussain
Root
Collingwood
Bell
Russell
Giles
Hoggard
Anderson
Panesar
From players I've seen, you could add Boycott and Edrich.
More recently, I remember Gus Fraser holding up an end from time to time. Maybe instead of Panesar, whose efforts in the first 2009 test I tend to view as an almighty fluke rather than evidence of any real ability to bat out time for a draw.
Not convinced by Bell tbh. Maybe Thorpe.

Last edited:

Shady Slim

International Coach
out of all current players, i know it's world but who gives:

M Vijay
Alastair Cook
Hashim Amla
AB de Villiers
Misbah-ul-Haq
Faf du Plessis
Peter Nevill+
Jason Holder
R Ashwin
Tim Bresnan
Vernon Philander

all hail the brez

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
out of all current players, i know it's world but who gives:

M Vijay
Alastair Cook
Hashim Amla
AB de Villiers
Misbah-ul-Haq
Faf du Plessis
Peter Nevill+
Jason Holder
R Ashwin
Tim Bresnan
Vernon Philander

all hail the brez
Nevill over Watling? Tell him he's dreaming

Shady Slim

International Coach
i have not seen enough of watling to make a proper judgement - both he and nicholls i'm not too knowledgeable on

it's mainly a list of players i've seen and like that could bat out the draw (mind you not seen live for the most part)

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
i have not seen enough of watling to make a proper judgement - both he and nicholls i'm not too knowledgeable on

it's mainly a list of players i've seen and like that could bat out the draw (mind you not seen live for the most part)
Fair enough, but...

"333 Balls faced by Watling in his unbeaten innings of 142 - the fifth highest by a No. 7 batsman in Tests. Watling appears in this list at fourth position as well: he had faced 367 balls during New Zealand's famous rear-guard action against India last year. Jack Ryder's 461-ball innings at Adelaide Oval in the 1924-25 Ashes is the longest by a No. 7 batsman in Tests."

from Williamson and Watling in world-record partnership | Cricket | ESPN Cricinfo

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!

I see you have chosen to wipe Watling - McCullum out of your mind just like most of us Indian fans

Shady Slim

International Coach
I see you have chosen to wipe Watling - McCullum out of your mind just like most of us Indian fans
up until the border gavaskar in 2014 i was a bit guilty of mainly following oz cricket and little else, south africa the next most

i know it happened mind you but it doesn't have the instant recollection

anil1405

International Captain
Picking Sachin in this thread is like picking Dravid when your team is chasing 435 in 50 overs. :tongue:

anil1405

International Captain
Sunil Gavaskar (C)
Wasim Jaffer
Rahul Dravid
Mohinder Amarnath
VVS Laxman
Sanjay Bangar
Nayan Mongia (Wk)
Bhuvneshwar Kumar
Anil Kumble
Javagal Srinath