• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

New Feature: Adjusted Averages...

chasingthedon

International Regular
..., or what do Vinod Kambli and Mick Hucknall out of Simply Red?

This feature was suggested following discussions in the CW Forum, when forum member watson posted a thread discussing American evolutionary biologist Stephen Jay Gould’s theories on baseball batting averages and its applicability to Don Bradman’s outlying average.

There were two discussions which arose in this thread largely involving myself, watson, Red Hill and, appropriately, the big bambino, which I’d like to look at in more detail; one discussion concerned a 60-average in batting and it's continued achievement as compared to baseball's 400-hitters, which have largely disappeared - that was dealt with in my earlier piece "Over Sixties Club".

The other discussion was elicited by my posting of adjusted averages from a book by Surjit S Bhalla, Between the Wickets, which was published in 1986. Mr Bhalla’s adjustments were based on both opposition and scoring (as affected by conditions) which brought down Harold Larwood’s average by 13 points – this seemed inappropriate when taken in context and as a result I decided to run my own adjustments.

Adjusted Averages ? or what do Vinod Kambli and Mick Hucknall out of Simply Red have in common? | Cricket Web