• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Quotas to be introduced for Proteas

Compton

International Debutant
I'm slightly amused at the idea that while Australia or England might debate who takes the 'spinner' role or 'all-rounder' role, the Saffers selectors will be discussing who will be the black guys in the team.

Affirmative action has never worked.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
The thing I find bizarre about quotas is that recent South African selection has been pretty colour blind. Teams are getting selected on merit anyway. Rabada isn't getting selected young because he's black, he's selected young because he's ****ing awesome.

I think it's positive that CSA wants the team to as multicoloured as possible, but how do you marry that up against the fact that cricket is predominantly a white sport?

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I'm slightly amused at the idea that while Australia or England might debate who takes the 'spinner' role or 'all-rounder' role, the Saffers selectors will be discussing who will be the black guys in the team.

Affirmative action has never worked.
Hasn't it been working for women?

Flem274*

123/5
I'm not sure quotas in the national side are all that useful or necessary, since as Furball says POC have been making the team on merit for years. I also don't think throwing say, a young black batsman to the wolves in Australia before he is ready (should such a stringent quota thing ever be enforced) does much for equality either.

But investing money at the youth level into getting black and coloured kids into good facilities to train sounds like a good idea to me. There are plenty of countries who could make big leaps forward in their cricket by getting disadvantaged or traditionally non-interested groups involved in the game.

Niall

International Coach
not sure how true it is but i read somewhere big vern himself didn't want to play if he was selected purely for the quota so surely a farce that big isn't ever repeated
Yep talk of him last year about thinking about retiring to grab a county gig. He would never be picked up for the IPL or Big Bash, but would have a chance for the other franchises in the world and thus make a good living.

Morkel could be the first loss, as right now to make the quotas they are probably going to have to stack the bowling line up with non white players as not many black batsman coming though in the A side that are international quality at the moment.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
The other thing I really don't like about quotas is that sub-consciously I still think of the likes of Amla and Rabada as being one of 4 or 5 or however many the quota is rather than just as one of South Africa's best 11 players.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I understand the reasons behind affirmative action as such but honestly, there should be studies conducted on how much of the groups are actually interested in cricket. If most of the transformation targets prefer to play football than cricket, then what is the point in coming up with quotas and targets? It will drive even more people out of the game given that the team is most likely going to perform worse for not having to select their best team.

brockley

International Captain
Look at the standard of their last under 19 side and the first division of first class cricket,shoddy.
Don't know about the 2nd division but believe Futures cup in Australia is stronger.

TheJediBrah

The other thing I really don't like about quotas is that sub-consciously I still think of the likes of Amla and Rabada as being one of 4 or 5 or however many the quota is rather than just as one of South Africa's best 11 players.
why should Amla count anyway? Just because he's "not-white"? Makes absolutely no sense if the whole point of quotas is to make up for local black oppression.

Sounds more like just "punishing white people" which of course is absurd but it sort of looks like that

morgieb

why should Amla count anyway? Just because he's "not-white"? Makes absolutely no sense if the whole point of quotas is to make up for local black oppression.

Sounds more like just "punishing white people" which of course is absurd but it sort of looks like that
It wasn't just 'blacks' that were oppressed during Apartheid.

With that said, I feel like quotas for Asians and 'coloured' people are a bit redundant.

SeamUp

International Coach
I reckon either the players should make a stand or the ICC should do so. If government interference happened in football/rugby then FIFA or IRB would step up.

I can only see this making us lose players pushing for a place in the Proteas team and then if things go downhill just like they did at the world cup we definitely could see guys like AB, Faf, Steyn, Morkel leaving for pastures new. Who knows even future stars like De Kock. We also got to remember that we may lose good coloured/Asian players too. Positions are limited if you can't fit into this supposed framework.

Players are getting their on merit but now have to fit 18% black and 54% POC during a season ? WTF is that ? Imagine selection meetings having to calculate that and chose if a player is picked or misses out ? Now there are added pressures and unnecessary media talk. As I said a while a go. Downhill.

Marius

International Debutant
Look mate, I really don't think it is for us (non South Africans) to comment in such strong terms and be so judgemental. Of course on the face of it race quotas are are not a good thing......but as I've before in somewhere in here there is a lot more than the success of a cricket team at stake here.

I don't believe for a second that this is tackling racism with racism.......this is about giving a disadvantaged section of their population some form of assistance and a leg up. And to be frank while this situation still exists........

View attachment 22848

Then something needs to be done.

I do not know if quotas goes any way to helping in some small way, but if it gets one family from moving from the right to the left of that picture then I'll keep an open mind.
How is ensuring that there are two black Africans in every Proteas XI going to make the lives of the people living on the right better?

The problem with this system is that people who are already relatively privileged are benefitting. Both Rabada and Bavuma are from solid middle class backgrounds, they're not like Ntini who came from a very poor background. Ditto most of the other black Africans on the fringes of the Test side. Omphile Ramela went to St Johns (South Africa's Eton) and was doing a Masters degree at the Uniuversity of Stellenbo9sch, one of South Africa's best universities. Andile Phehlukwayo, who will probably make his T20 debut this season went to Glenwood, the same school that Shaun Pollock attended.

The people who will benefit from this policy are not poor people who have no access to resources or cricket fields etc. - it will be the already fairly privileged. CSA has to build nets and fields in townships and rural areas, and get coaching in there. Having two black Africans in each Proteas XI is not going to increase access to cricket fields or equipment for those who can't afford or who don't have access.

This policy is a prime example of putting the cart before the horse.

Just for the record, I am not opposed to affirmative action, but saying, for example, 'X% of your accountants have to be black' is not affirmative action - it is racial engineering, which never, ever works.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
It is overestimated the ability and want of Fifa or IRB, (or most international sport structures) to interfere in sport structures within countries (pretty much ignored by IRB in SA rugby), they will not interfere in what is a politically tense difficult scenario like SA.

I am not happy about the quota system either, this is very much political pandering. However, CSA are asking for targets that are already being met and they are even allowing flexibility across the 3 formats, so you cold not expect better considering the political scenario. In one of the previous comments it was stated that blacks are not interested in cricket, that is a load of nonsense. Many blacks in SA love cricket but get little chance to actually play.

Now, I`m going to talk politics here...as a white South African I do not like the way I have been treated and/or made to feel. I think that the current ANC elite corruption and cronyism is destroying SA for all South Africans and hope that change happens soon, as there is more important issues than the Proteas cricket team going on in SA. However, whatever we feel, the Springboks and Proteas are symbols of South Africa, and when those symbols still have a majority of white players within the team (regardless of all other problems) 22 years after so called independence, it adds fuel to what is a problematic climate. SA demographics is ~79% black, ~12% coloured(mixed-race) and Asian, and ~8/9% White. I would also like a utopia where colour did not matter, however in SA it matters and nothing short term is going to change it, particularly while their is huge economic inequality and uncertainty.

I agree government could be doing more at a school level, I agree that CSA could be doing more at school and club levels. But (and this will not make me popular) I also accept and have seen that the white majority clubs who have facilities do not try and integrate black players into the club system, and can even make them feel unwelcome. There is little to no facilities in the townships and little help coming, Truth is we as the white population (in general, there is always exception) need to do more, even if it makes our life more difficult, we have to actively go out and help try integrate. And this goes beyond just cricket in SA, and if we do not this country will implode.

But like all people all over the world, it is easier to sit and complain about things and blame everybody else for misfortune, rather than going out and actively try change things for the betterment of everybody in the long run. And I am as guilty of this as anybody.

Having said all this I think that cricket is doing better than rugby (and most other sports) with regards to transformation, I also think that this is not the end of cricket in SA (been hearing that for 20 odd years) and I think SA will continue to produce quality cricketers who will continue to play for SA. I think their needs to be a more active effort to recruit and help back players in SA and maybe just maybe, sooner rather than later these discussions will no longer be necessary.