• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Quotas to be introduced for Proteas

Niall

International Coach
Cricket South Africa sets selection targets for national teams | Cricket | ESPN Cricinfo

6 non whites in the national team is the new plan.

The limited overs side shouldn't have that much strife as the recent series in the West Indies proved, however I'd wonder about the test side in the next year or two if Rabada or/and Bavuma get injured. Heck their has been chat about Duminy an Philander ditching test cricket which would make things very tricky indeed.

Last edited:

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Cricket South Africa sets selection targets for national teams | Cricket | ESPN Cricinfo

The limited overs side shouldn't have that much strife as the recent series in the West Indies proved, however I'd wonder about the test side in the next year or two if Rabada or/and Bavuma get injured. Heck their has been chat about Duminy an Philander ditching test cricket which would make things very tricky indeed.
Philander is not going to ditch test cricket as far as I am aware. And this is pretty much what I was thinking would be/was happening anyway; The ODI side should make the grade... and an important statement here is they are willing to be flexible if needed.. due to injury and circumstance and will consider it at the end of the season. The ODI side has no real issues, I can see them possible bringing in Andile Phehlukwayo in earlier than they should... The most problematic area is going to be talented young 'black' batsmen, hopefully some more Bavumas start coming through soon...

brockley

International Captain
Remember despite the quotas S Africa did not make the finals in the West Indies,West Indies we're ranked 9th then.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member

Well the point is aiming, right? They're targets, not Thou Shalt Pick Six Non Whites Every Game, no?

So realistically, if Bavuma and Rabada are injured for a Test or three, they'll do without them and pick the next best players (or people they want to blood etc). They're not bound to meet the target every single game, so it probably just means they blood some young non-white players in JAMODIs and T20is to compensate.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Target is just a fancy word for Rule AFAIC in this situation. Think it's a given they want 6 of them in the XI every time and they will be questioned if it does not happen.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
So realistically, if Bavuma and Rabada are injured for a Test or three, they'll do without them and pick the next best players (or people they want to blood etc). They're not bound to meet the target every single game, so it probably just means they blood some young non-white players in JAMODIs and T20is to compensate.
Sure, although what you're saying is how it's been kind of unofficially for years though isn't it?... with these "unofficial targets/guidelines". Perhaps stphndbsn can comment on whether he thinks they'll be more categorical this time around. You'd certainly hope there is flexibility and if a Philander pulls up lame at the eleventh hour, they can replace him with the next best bowler in the squad regardless of colour, provided the original intention was there to meet the quota.

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Mentions in the article anyway that if they're under they may need to compensate in other games to average it out.

Shady Slim

International Coach
if it were a rock hard guideline that they had to adhere to every game then that would go a fair way to ruining cricket in SA

Zinzan

Mentions in the article anyway that if they're under they may need to compensate in other games to average it out.
If it's all about averages, they should try to get ahead early on and play 7-8 colours against the Bangs & Zims of this world as they seem to have done recently.

That could work provided the selectors/sports minister don't do a 'Philander' to the next SA captain prior to a WC semi again.

Zinzan

if it were a rock hard guideline that they had to adhere to every game then that would go a fair way to ruining cricket in SA
I agree, but I can't see how this revelation is any different to how it's been previously if it's not rock-hard.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
This is the whole point... until now it has been unofficial quotas now it is official. They want 6 players of colour in the team and 2 of these to ideally to be black. This has been happening. The 'black' players are more of an issue but they quite clearly state if for good reason the quotas cant be met then they will be more understanding.... and will look in totality. But then indicate this must not become a window dressing whereby the players are only chosen for inconsequential matches and window dressing, and an active effort needs to be made... like anything it depends on how it is implemented.

Shady Slim

International Coach
If it's all about averages, they should try to get ahead early on and play 7-8 colours against the Bangs & Zims of this world as they seem to have done recently.

That could work provided the selectors/sports minister don't do a 'Philander' to the next SA captain prior to a WC semi again.
not sure how true it is but i read somewhere big vern himself didn't want to play if he was selected purely for the quota so surely a farce that big isn't ever repeated

Grumpy

U19 Vice-Captain
Looks like the Quoteas are destined for that No. 7 spot.

What a disgusting policy though. How it makes sense to tackle racism with more racism is beyond team. The only criteria for selection should be merit, not melanin levels.

From what I understand, this is being imposed from the current government, who by the sounds of it are getting more and more radical. Any of the SA fans like to comment on this?

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year

What a disgusting policy though. How it makes sense to tackle racism with more racism is beyond team. The only criteria for selection should be merit, not melanin levels.

From what I understand, this is being imposed from the current government, who by the sounds of it are getting more and more radical. Any of the SA fans like to comment on this?
Look mate, I really don't think it is for us (non South Africans) to comment in such strong terms and be so judgemental. Of course on the face of it race quotas are are not a good thing......but as I've before in somewhere in here there is a lot more than the success of a cricket team at stake here.

I don't believe for a second that this is tackling racism with racism.......this is about giving a disadvantaged section of their population some form of assistance and a leg up. And to be frank while this situation still exists........

rich_vs_poor_neighborhoods_of_cape_town_in_south_africa_640_07.jpg

Then something needs to be done.

I do not know if quotas goes any way to helping in some small way, but if it gets one family from moving from the right to the left of that picture then I'll keep an open mind.

Last edited:

Zinzan

Some fair points, but I have to disagree with your premise. If it was any other sporting nation, we'd be outraged. There's many other ways to help spread equality across a country other than robbing the elite international sporting teams.

Don't think Grumpy was out of line tbh.

What's the attachment incidentally? There's an error

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Based on what evidence?

It is a far more nuanced argument than you imply that I cannot explain in a single post.

No the government is not radicalised or getting more radical. Our political system is far centre left leaning because of the economic disproportional between the have's and have nots in SA that must be rectified for SA to continue going forward.

SA current problem is that like many countries around the world where a single party has absolute rule (which is changing quicker than people thought) a leader has got and maintained power, who`s sole interest is his own and not the good of anybody in the country regardless of colour. This is causing the issues and problems... is it going to get worse or better nobody truly knows.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Some fair points, but I have to disagree with your premise. If it was any other sporting nation, we'd be outraged.
What other sporting nation is in the relatively early stages of repairing its country after a system that held down 20 million of their population by a minority of 4 million??

Look, I'm not for or against quotas.......I really don't know if it is the answer or the right thing to be doing. But these are exceptional circumstances that require exceptional measures...........and I strongly objected to the rhetoric used by Grumpy. He is not qualified nor informed enough to use words such as "disgusting" and "racist" to describe this policy.

Zinzan

I don't feel so strongly to use words like 'disgusting' to describe it either, but It's not like someone's denying there is inequality or that the oppression never existed, just a contempt for quotas.