• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Can Ashwin beat Murali's 800?

viriya

International Captain
183 wickets in 33 tests at 29 years old.

If he plays till he's 39 (not that crazy to think as a spinner), and plays 10 tests a year on average (probably a low estimate), he will get 555 more wickets at the current wkts/match rate.

That gets him to 738.

That's ignoring that he is entering his prime now, but I guess his wkts/match will also taper off after 35/36 or so as well.

My guess is probably not, but definitely possible.

Thoughts?

anil1405

International Captain
Its pure speculation at this point and extremely unlikely too. Would've been fair if you asked 'Will Cook surpass Sachin's test runs tally?' coz Cook is more than half way through achieving that with considerable amount of time left in his career. Talking about possibility of Ashwin overtaking Murali is naive at this moment.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
No way, needs to get much much better away from home to get even to 500.

Burgey

He'd need to play every test at home or away in the WI.

Plus, it'd be a dead set travesty.

Howe_zat

Audio File
He's at a very high ebb in terms of wickets per match after his recent few matches. Extrapolating that for a hundred further tests would be extremely generous but you still came up 62 wickets short. Got to say no.

I think it does show why Murali's record could be broken in the future, but not by Ashwin.

Daemon

Lol he'll need 10 more years of taking 60 wickets a year to get there.

I'll be very happy with 400-500ish.

TheJediBrah

IMO he'll need to improve on his record in Australia of 0.3 wickets per series @ 457.67 runs per wkt

Motorwada

Banned
IMO he'll need to improve on his record in Australia of 0.3 wickets per series @ 457.67 runs per wkt
Not really considering he has 21 wickets in Oz at 54.71 from 6 matches which is better than Murali's 12 at 75.41 in 5 matches.

On a more serious note, India play something like 14 matches a year. If he plays 9 years more and takes 4.5 wkts/match it comes to 750 and that's where I guess he'll end up - somewhere in the 700 range.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
I think a better question would be whether he would end up being India's highest wicket taker, in other words surpassing Kumble? I think he has a shot at that.

800 - probably not.

TheJediBrah

Not really considering he has 21 wickets in Oz at 54.71 from 6 matches which is better than Murali's 12 at 75.41 in 5 matches.

On a more serious note, India play something like 14 matches a year. If he plays 9 years more and takes 4.5 wkts/match it comes to 750 and that's where I guess he'll end up - somewhere in the 700 range.
You're assuming a lot. He could have a **** spell and get dropped by next year and hardly play again. He's really not that good a bowler and you never know what younger spinners could come through to take his place.

AndrewB

International Vice-Captain

India have sometimes played 14 Tests in a year, but usually don't: they played 96 matches in the last 10 years, and only 44 of those were in the last 5.