• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Can Ashwin beat Murali's 800?

viriya

International Captain
Ashwin fastest to 25 5 wicket hauls in just 47 Tests - destroying Hadlee's 62 match record (Murali did it in 63).
Murali went on a tear in the last half of his career to end with 67 hauls. If Ashwin keeps to his current rate and also plays as many matches as Murali (131), he only barely passes him at 69.

Very unlikely since Ashwin probably won't end up playing as many matches considering he is already 30.

Pluto

Banned
I don't think anyone will go past Murali's 800. Ashwin might get close to Warne's 708 if he plays 60% of his Tests at home.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Among the 12 spinners with more than 250 wickets, Ashwin is 2nd only to Murali in terms of bowling average.

But I don't think he has any realistic chance of breaking Murali's record. Given his health condition, I'll be very happy if he crosses 600 with a sub-26 average.

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I don't want to live in a world where Ashwin crosses Murali and Anderson crosses McGrath

trundler

Yeah, even if everything generously goes his way, even then it's an impossibility. Anderson crossing McGrath still sad tho.

Where do people rank Ashwin among other Indian spinners?

trundler

Warne took 274 wickets in his last 45 matches and Murali had a better streak in terms of WPM than even SF Barnes in the 2nd half of his career. Ashwin obviously isn't on the same level but it would be interesting to see how far he can go if he has his best years ahead of him.

TheJediBrah

Yeah, even if everything generously goes his way, even then it's an impossibility. Anderson crossing McGrath still sad tho.

Where do people rank Ashwin among other Indian spinners?
Nah, it's just a sign of his longevity, and a deserved record. No one's going to think that he was better just because he took more wickets.

Bradman is probably not even in the top 20 or 30 (I dunno, probably more) of run scorers yet he's indisputably the best

Daemon

Ravi Ashwin is one of the luckiest bowlers of all time. I've never seen anyone have to work as little as him for these wickets. Put some of the worst players of spin on the best pitches to bowl spin on in the history of the game and you get records like these. Awful stuff and thoroughly undeserved.