• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** New Zealand tour of Zimbabwe and South Africa 2016

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Paul Harris has been calling for Shamsi to play against NZ in the upcoming series. I think I'd stick with Piedt for now.

My top 7 would be:
Cook
Elgar
Du Plessis
Amla
De Villiers
Bavuma
De Kock

The bowlers are tricky, assuming everyone is fit. I think you have to go with a spinner, so early in the season, so Piedt is in. That leaves space for three seamers. You probably have to choose from Steyn, Morkel, Philander, and Rabada.
You know with all the talk about South Africa's decline and how toxic some of the things are in South African cricket, that is still one solid, world beating side. I mean I can't really find that much between this side and Smith's number 1 side. Sure you had Smith and Kallis, two stalwarts, but this side as Rabada who can be as deadly and destructive as some of the best. Bavuma looks a good player too.

I'd probably have this middle order though
Amla
De Viliers
Du Plesis

I'd suggest it's more likely that it's a good time to get out of south Africa if you have the opportunity.

Terribly sad but it's happening across the world: People with the means go where they think they'll have safe, prosperous lives.

As much as I'm a proponent of free migration, the only real solution to these problems is to fix the countries that people are fleeing. Easier said than done, of course.
Right..what's striking though is that the nations which people are fleeing are have been troubled with war and political strife for a while. The major cricketing nations have seen relative peace in comparison. You don't really expect this sort of thing in a major cricketing nation but I guess such are the times we live in.

Marius

International Debutant
I'd suggest it's more likely that it's a good time to get out of south Africa if you have the opportunity.

Terribly sad but it's happening across the world: People with the means go where they think they'll have safe, prosperous lives.

As much as I'm a proponent of free migration, the only real solution to these problems is to fix the countries that people are fleeing. Easier said than done, of course.
People are hardly 'fleeing' South Africa.

460 000 Kiwis live abroad, that's more than ten percent of your population. If we were talking about an African country, we would probably say that ten percent of your population living overseas is evidence of people 'fleeing' when it clearly isn't. People go where opportunities and money is.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Paul Harris has been calling for Shamsi to play against NZ in the upcoming series. I think I'd stick with Piedt for now.

My top 7 would be:
Cook
Elgar
Du Plessis
Amla
De Villiers
Bavuma
De Kock

The bowlers are tricky, assuming everyone is fit. I think you have to go with a spinner, so early in the season, so Piedt is in. That leaves space for three seamers. You probably have to choose from Steyn, Morkel, Philander, and Rabada.
Defnietly have Shamsi in squad, but stick with Piedt in the first choice team initially. Nice problemm to have to try fit Steyn, Morkel, Rabada and Philander into 3 spots. Philanders option with the bat gets him in, Steyn is well Steyn... so its between Morkel and Rabada, tough choice Morkel gives an extra dimension (Steyn Rabada similar sorts of bowlers)... but then their is the politics! Amla 3, AB 4, Faf 5 (AB anf Faf much of a muchness though...)

People are hardly 'fleeing' South Africa.

460 000 Kiwis live abroad, that's more than ten percent of your population. If we were talking about an African country, we would probably say that ten percent of your population living overseas is evidence of people 'fleeing' when it clearly isn't. People go where opportunities and money is.
As Hendrix stated it about safety and prosperity. Certain groups of people are fleeing SA, the majority of people in SA will never have the opportunity through wealth, academics or skill to get out. But a large portion (particularly of young generation), that has this opportunity is going.... its not even along a racial divide.

Marius

International Debutant
As Hendrix stated it about safety and prosperity. Certain groups of people are fleeing SA, the majority of people in SA will never have the opportunity through wealth, academics or skill to get out. But a large portion (particularly of young generation), that has this opportunity is going.... its not even along a racial divide.
I agree, but I think there's a differe3nce between 'fleeing' and just being part of the general global movement of people. Syrians and Zimbabweans are fleeing. The 460 000 Kiwis that live abroad and South Africans that move to NZ, or Dubai, or the US aren't - they're looking for opportunities abroad.

But that's just my opinion.

Let's rather talk cricket.

Chewie

International Vice-Captain
Does anyone know if the warmup game going to be shown anywhere? Will Cricinfo have live updates?

91Jmay

International Coach
Football type system doesn't work in Cricket. In football internationals only matter once every 2 years, in cricket they are the huge ticket draw.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Shame for Cribb he never found a suitable genius to get us back into the video vault, by the sounds...

After lunch Aliseni opened the bowling and roughened up Jeet Raval and bounced him out. He then beat Guptill for pace and had him out lbw.
The new ball was then taken and Aliseni went on to bowl one off the fastest spells ever bowled by a Zim bowler.. The batsman were getting hit before they reacted and balls flew off the gloves and chest to the boundary. Really rapid spell on a dead wicket.
Shingi was reliable and he has shown a marked improvement. He is much better than Tiripano, Ncube and Muzarabani. The Zim A bowling attack should be Nyauchi, Shingi, Aliseni and Chisoro. Cremer is horribly out off form and is only playing because he's the captain. Taibu is clueless as a selector. How do you pick someone (Ncube) who's been coaching primary school cricket in South Africa and hasn't played cricket since 2011/12 straight into the National Team? Worse he couldn't pick up a wicket in Bulawayo vs SA A. What a complete joke!!!

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Aliseni returned for a belated second spell as the second new ball was taken, and surprised the batsmen once or twice with good quick deliveries, but he had his figures spoiled when Mitchell Santner hit him for two successive fours.

Hmm. Either he got really tired late in the day, or I sense some cry-wolf opportunism from that Zimbabwean Howsie spectator.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
He is kind of known for only being good for one spell, but yeah he didn't look particularly quick there. I smirked at the "Zimbabwean Howsie spectator" remark because I've thought to myself many times when Aliseni has been mentioned over the years that fans might be Howsieing a little bit. Zimbabwe's Richard Sherlock more than Zimbabwe's Brett Lee, probably.

At least he's on the field now though. Zimbabwe's Atul Sharma no more!

Last edited: