• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

What if a shot going for 4 interfered by the spectators ?

hassanz

Cricket Spectator
This actually happened to the recent club cricket game I played last week. We needed 6 runs off 11 balls and had 3 wickets in hand. One of the batsman played a shot and ball was rolling slowly towards the boundary line and all of a sudden a kid(~7 age) took about 10 steps into the ground and tried to grab the ball BUT ball went over him(ball hit something and jumped) AND it did not touch the boundary line. Since kid made the interference batsman lost sight of the ball so does the umpire and they(batsmen) did not finish the third run wondering if the ball was caught by the kid or went all the to the boundary line. Meanwhile, fielder chasing the ball continued running and pick up the ball and threw it back to the keeper and they made an appeal for the run-out. Now, fielding side wanted the run out and batting side wanted the 5 runs (which is the law if ball touches anything in the field i.e water bottle, helmet etc, placed by the fielder.) OR keep 2 runs which occurred before the interference OR even redo the ball/delivery.

Now, umpire decided to play "fair" and he split the points(5 each) and called it "everyone won". Fielding side took this decision promptly and happily and quickly started packing while the batting side wasn't happy with the decision.

Now I wanna know did the umpire made the right call? What are the ICC rules/law for such cases?

Thanks.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Keep that kid under control ffs. It's like that kid who climbed into the gorilla cage. Hasn't the world learned? Do we want more gorillas shot?

hassanz

Cricket Spectator
Keep that kid under control ffs. It's like that kid who climbed into the gorilla cage. Hasn't the world learned? Do we want more gorillas shot?
Well he was just a kid. Cannot blame him. It could have been a dog or a bird or any other (moving)obstacle.
Just wanted to know what the rules/laws are for such cases.

Thanks.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
This actually happened to the recent club cricket game I played last week. We needed 6 runs off 11 balls and had 3 wickets in hand. One of the batsman played a shot and ball was rolling slowly towards the boundary line and all of a sudden a kid(~7 age) took about 10 steps into the ground and tried to grab the ball BUT ball went over him(ball hit something and jumped) AND it did not touch the boundary line. Since kid made the interference batsman lost sight of the ball so does the umpire and they(batsmen) did not finish the third run wondering if the ball was caught by the kid or went all the to the boundary line. Meanwhile, fielder chasing the ball continued running and pick up the ball and threw it back to the keeper and they made an appeal for the run-out. Now, fielding side wanted the run out and batting side wanted the 5 runs (which is the law if ball touches anything in the field i.e water bottle, helmet etc, placed by the fielder.) OR keep 2 runs which occurred before the interference OR even redo the ball/delivery.

Now, umpire decided to play "fair" and he split the points(5 each) and called it "everyone won". Fielding side took this decision promptly and happily and quickly started packing while the batting side wasn't happy with the decision.

Now I wanna know did the umpire made the right call? What are the ICC rules/law for such cases?

Thanks.
lol imagine if this worked

just get your kid to run out and grab the ball while your batting . . . 5 free runs everytime

Howe_zat

Audio File
1. As soon as the kid interferes with play it is dead ball. Can't be a wicket.

2. Runs awarded according to what's been run when you said dead ball. If the kid stopped it obviously going for four its given as four. Since it seems like not here, 2 runs seems the right call.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
This happened in the 1975 World Cup Final when a West Indian spectator fielded the ball inside the boundary when it would clearly have been stopped by the Australian fielder. Under the rules at the time it was given as a boundary. Richie Benaud in commentary said he hoped Australia weren't beaten by two runs.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
oh wut I didn't realize that's what OP was saying. The umpire cancelled the game at that point?

I think there must be a misunderstanding somewhere because I can't imagine that happening

watson

Banned
I remember when it was usual for the ball to be fielded inside the rope by the crowd. And occasionally someone would get polaxed by the fieldsman.

We have a good example of this at the 1 min 20 sec mark after the ball gets clubbed through extra cover. Incidently, the video also shows some vintage Procter hitting massive 4s and the Old Trafford crowd going off their collective faces late in the match.

Last edited:

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Remember seeing footage of Aus vs NZ one dayers from IIRC the 70s where the crowd would hop the fence and 'field' the ball, even though it'd be awarded 4 runs anyway.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Remember seeing footage of Aus vs NZ one dayers from IIRC the 70s where the crowd would hop the fence and 'field' the ball, even though it'd be awarded 4 runs anyway.
Crowds were a lot more YOLO in the 70s. Plus, you weren't risking a 7grand fine.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
"Spectators" is just another way of saying "fielders" in the subcontinent. So it'd still be four runs.

Biryani Pillow

U19 Vice-Captain

Thanks.
First no umpire should allow a water bottle to be placed on the field. Only a fielders helmet (or as I saw on Saturday - sun hat) when not in use, may be placed on the field and that must be behind the keeper.

The answer to the question is four runs. A spectator who enters the field of play is considered, in effect, to be a boundary.

Howe_zat

Audio File
The answer to the question is four runs. A spectator who enters the field of play is considered, in effect, to be a boundary.
This is only true if the spectator is the only thing that prevents it going for four, but according to the OP here the ball stopped on its own in the outfield. It's dead ball because the spectator intervened, with two runs having already been taken.

Biryani Pillow

U19 Vice-Captain
This is only true if the spectator is the only thing that prevents it going for four, but according to the OP here the ball stopped on its own in the outfield. It's dead ball because the spectator intervened, with two runs having already been taken.
Two umpires who do, or have done, Minor Counties cricket (and two other very experienced umpires) disagree with you.

RossTaylorsBox

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
So basically the batting team can hire some guys to run onto field and interfere with play whenever they need a boundary.