• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Amir should have been banned for life: Graeme Swann

DriveClub

International Regular
I wouldn't be defending Warne, he was the guy who sold information about match condition and team composition to a bookie. Got off with a slap on the wrist as well, paid only a small fine.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Should have always be banned for life in my eyes.

He directly undermined the integrity of the game. Every future match he is involved in could be potentially questionable.

While I'm obviously biased as I was a huge Warne fan, (pre alien take over in 2007)but at least Warne got caught attempting to play to the best of his abilities. There was never any further lingering doubt as to whether he was playing to the best of his ability. For me at least, there is a huge difference between Warne and Amir.

Anyway, I've argued this many times in other threads so flame on

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
drugs cheating is ****ing despicable and harms the integrity of the sport just as much if not more than spot fixing (not match fixing).

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Without getting into a debate about the specifics of Warne's drug ban, deliberately underperforming for money is just selling the integrity of the game to the devil.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
drugs cheating is ****ing despicable and harms the integrity of the sport just as much if not more than spot fixing (not match fixing).
It's amazing how absolutely serious an offense drugs cheating becomes in the eyes of some when it comes to athletes in the Olympics, but not in cricket.

Last edited:

watson

Banned
I always find it amusing when apologists choose to obfuscate an issue with 'moral relativism' while at the same time shouting "double-standard" and "hypocrisy" at the top of their voice.

Last edited:

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It's amazing how absolutely serious an offense drugs cheating becomes in the eyes of some when it comes to athletes in the Olympics, but not in cricket.
You could maybe argue that Olympic sports focus primarily on pure athletic ability (ie) how fast you can run, how high you can jump etc. far more than cricket does,and thus PEDs benefit Olympic athletes and even athletes in fields like boxing and mma in a way that gives them a direct advantage over someone not taking drugs.

It's obviously an unfair advantage in cricket too and it's obviously ****** as hell but one can see why people get more angry about it in athletic competitions.

Last edited:

Daemon

He directly undermined the integrity of the game. Every future match he is involved in could be potentially questionable.
For me it spoiled the matches that the trio were previously a part of, rather than anything they would possibly be involved in in the future.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
You could maybe argue that Olympic sports focus primarily on pure athletic ability (ie) how fast you can run, how high you can jump etc. far more than cricket does,and thus PEDs benefit Olympic athletes and even athletes in fields like boxing and mma in a way that gives them a direct advantage over someone not taking drugs.

It's obviously an unfair advantage in cricket too and it's obviously ****** as hell but one can see why people get more angry about it in athletic competitions.
I dunno. I'd say quicker recovery from injuries is definitely an unfair direct advantage. Besides, the ability to propel a ball across 22 yards for prolonged periods is an athletic activity too.

OverratedSanity

I dunno. I'd say quicker recovery from injuries is definitely an unfair direct advantage. Besides, the ability to propel a ball across 22 yards for prolonged periods is an athletic activity too.
Sure it is. But there are lots of aspects of cricket where drugs won't help. A 100 M sprint on the other hand is pure and simple. Run faster than the other blokes and you win gold. PEDs can influence thus far far more than in a sport like cricket.

Kind of a pointless discussion tbh. Let's just agree drugs're bad mkay

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
T20 becoming more prevalent (where it pays to be quicker, fitter and stronger moreso than the other formats) and the money involved will presumably increase performance enhancing drug use. I always thought the guys with long fast bowling careers performance enhancing drugs would of been of particular use. Allow them to recover quicker, train better etc in a busy schedule and thus prolong their careers.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Sure it is. But there are lots of aspects of cricket where drugs won't help. A 100 M sprint on the other hand is pure and simple. Run faster than the other blokes and you win gold. PEDs can influence thus far far more than in a sport like cricket.

Kind of a pointless discussion tbh. Let's just agree drugs're bad mkay
Well, people who subscribe to that theory are plain stupid. "Let's consider in lesser light a drugs offence by a cricketer who does benefit from it because there are other aspects of cricket where it doesn't help." ​Seriously, what a stupid argument that is.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
I didn't say it's a lesser offense, moron, I said that's the reason why people are less angry about it.
Why would people be less angry about it unless they considered it a lesser offence? Emotions like anger don't arise out of thin air. The anger is a response from people's reading of the severity of a situation, which in this case happens to be an irrational reading of the situation.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)

While I'm obviously biased as I was a huge Warne fan, (pre alien take over in 2007)but at least Warne got caught attempting to play to the best of his abilities. There was never any further lingering doubt as to whether he was playing to the best of his ability. For me at least, there is a huge difference between Warne and Amir.

Anyway, I've argued this many times in other threads so flame on
"my team won because the other person didn't try"

"my team lost because the other person cheated"

much of a muchness.

OverratedSanity

Why would people be less angry about it unless they considered it a lesser offence? Emotions like anger don't arise out of thin air. The anger is a response from people's reading of the severity of a situation, which in this case happens to be an irrational reading of the situation.
I just wanted to call you a moron