• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Amir should have been banned for life: Graeme Swann

watson

Banned
@blackwarrior - I was going to reply, but you have just subtlety brought race and culture into the debate, so I am not going to venture onto such a minefield because whatever I write will be taken out of context and misunderstood.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Calling Warne a *** offender seems a bit off...
"***ual harassment" is such a broad term tbh

I often get accused of it several times in a day for doing completely different things

with completely different body parts

flibbertyjibber

Warne is very popular in the UK hence neither his drug conviction nor his ***ual harrassment is ever talked about. Amir not so much..hence BBC will always make that headline.
That is unfair, most of us think Warne is a complete knob but for some reason he gets work over here.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Calling Warne a *** offender seems a bit off...
http://www.criclife.com/lists/chronicles/shane-warnes-nine-sensational-***capades-9598

@blackwarrior - I was going to reply, but you have just subtlety brought race and culture into the debate, so I am not going to venture onto such a minefield because whatever I write will be taken out of context and misunderstood.
Not necessarily. I do believe you are biased, but no more than anyone of us. I don't believe it has anything to do with race. I believe we all have biases. It's just when I see self righteous and moralistic posts conveniently directed at others, when I feel the need to point this out.

It is precisely because I believe we are all biased that I try not to bring up issues of morality and judgement in these cases. Both Warne and Amir's cases were thankfully handled in fair trials and the judgement were reached by a qualified panel with integrity and honesty based on evidence, fact and investigation. Hence I am satisfied with both the verdicts.

Last edited:

OverratedSanity

I can't see that any of those constitute *** crimes. Unsavoury maybe, and the 'harassment' is way on the nose, but let's not group in adultery and pursuance with rapists and the like, please.
Bet BW responds to this saying that's the same as saying don't lump spot fixers with match fixers.

OverratedSanity

I'm sorry I just can't let this nonsense go. As soon as I saw your post I knew I had to respond. While I'm not going to do a textwall displaying my disgust since I honestly don't have the time for **** like this, I'll just keep it short, watson:

It's 'subtly', not 'subtlety'

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
I can't see that any of those constitute *** crimes. Unsavoury maybe, and the 'harassment' is way on the nose, but let's not group in adultery and pursuance with rapists and the like, please.
No they don't. I never argued for that. I don't believe Warne is a criminal at all. My original point was about the headline. I don't believe Warne deserves to be called a convicted drug cheat and *** offender anymore than I believe Amir should be called convicted spot fixer. I was merely pointing out the difference in standards in the BBC headlines.

Bet BW responds to this saying that's the same as saying don't lump spot fixers with match fixers.
Try not to put words in my mouth please. In the original spot fixing thread, I had actually maintained that there isn't much of a difference.

Last edited:

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
But Warne has never been a *** offender. So for BBC to call him that would probably be an illegal act on their part.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Shhh, don't let the facts ruin his agenda...

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Absolutely. “Morality is simply the attitude we adopt towards people we personally dislike.” - Oscar Wilde.

"This in turn is directly proportion to the extent of our dislike" - Black Warrior
Isn't that just recursive reasoning? Some people dislike Amir because of his greed and antics in the immediate aftermath of his exposure. Was there reason to dislike him prior to the spot fixing episode?

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
I don't know where exactly I stand on Amir anymore. Back in 2010-11 I had similar stance on this as the OP. I made a few posts about Asif and Butt deserving permanent ban while Amir deserved a second chance. I was also bit moved by Amir's hour long interview where he confessed and expressed regret for his involvement in spot fixing.

But that was when I did not take into account what it will be like to actually see him play amongst other international cricketers (a bit like voting Brexit but not expecting it to happen :ph34r:). It's very disconcerting to see him back in action. And he is too gifted to fade away in oblivion on his own. So I have to endure watching him uncomfortably.

Last edited: