• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Amir should have been banned for life: Graeme Swann

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Asif (see what I did there) England will lose anyway, plz

FTR I also think bringing Swann's association with a gambling company up is kind of irrelevant

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I fully agree with Swann that Amir shouldn't be playing and I hope he is booed at every ground but the fact is he is playing because the authorities lack the bollocks to do the right thing by the game so we have to get on with it. I will moan till Thursday at 11 but once the game starts we have to get on with the fact the match will have started and what is done is done.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I fully agree with Swann that Amir shouldn't be playing and I hope he is booed at every ground but the fact is he is playing because the authorities lack the bollocks to do the right thing by the game so we have to get on with it. I will moan till Thursday at 11 but once the game starts we have to get on with the fact the match will have started and what is done is done.
Given the bloke has spent three months inside he's not going to be intimidated by a section of the English crowd heckling him - all that will achieve is to rile him up and make him bowl even better, and he's going to be one hell of a handful anyway

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
A bigger issue is the gaming gambling such as on counterstrike. Enables underage gambling.

Shady Slim

International Coach
i saw that when hunting for the article i posted actually, made me do a double take

btw in other countries how bad is gambling advertising during the game? every break during a test match channel nine gives us a new sportsbet ad... credit to the big bash and channel ten for not doing that tbh

Last edited:

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
****ing nanny state we live in FFS.

I've just started having a bit of a punt on the cricket, very amateur stuff but it's a bit of fun. I don't place any bets at all before a game starts and wait to see odds that look attractive during the course of the game. For instance England are currently paying 1.83 to win the first test........whats the point in having a crack at that?? 1st morning and they're 20/2 and then you'd expect to see some better value.

I don't think I'd bother with it if I can't bet live in play tbh.

Shady Slim

International Coach
****ing nanny state we live in FFS.

I've just started having a bit of a punt on the cricket, very amateur stuff but it's a bit of fun. I don't place any bets at all before a game starts and wait to see odds that look attractive during the course of the game. For instance England are currently paying 1.83 to win the first test........whats the point in having a crack at that?? 1st morning and they're 20/2 and then you'd expect to see some better value.

I don't think I'd bother with it if I can't bet live in play tbh.
well that's the point of the legislation strictly speaking

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
You can still ring up to bet in play. Its just a weird legislative restriction which the Productivity Commission have implied they'll overturn for ages and now no government will actually do it due to the bad PR that will come from it.

Nauq

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
I personally wanted Amir to be banned for Life as well as the two others. This is what you should get when you sell your country. But well Amir is back legally so I will have to go with him now.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Swann doesn't give a toss about that I would imagine. I imagine all the English players that were playing in that test would have been happy if all 3 were banned for life. It didn't just tarnish the reputation of Pakistan cricket but that of cricket in general and by association English cricket and it's players. It gave cricket an image as a corrupt sport.

It would be personal for the English players involved - so obviously a good reason why they didn't have any input on the punishments of the players.
Yeah this is probably the case. Swann has talked about this before and framed the issue as what they all felt like in 2010. KP said the said the same thing to George Dobell recently. It's probably the only thing they all agree on.