• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Random things you may not know

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Procter seems to be the biggest ever loss to World cricket...shame :(
It's one of the great imponderables. Would the grind of International Cricket have got him down. Did he throw everything into those super tests because it was his one chance on the big stage and hence pull out performances that would've been nigh on impossible to replicate if he was playing series after series year after year?

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
International cricket wouldn't have grinded Procky down. And of course when the WSC was actually happening nobody, players included, knew exactly how big it would be. So it's hard to see Procky looking at the series as is one last hurrah on the world stage. Besides, the County Championship was a much bigger deal in his day then it is now, so I'd imagine he viewed cricket in England as his personal pinnacle. He ended up playing 16 seasons with Gloucestershire before his career's end. Absolute beast.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
As I said though, that is all supposition.

There is no way however that anyone could call county cricket a pinnacle rather than World Series though.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
His FC record is very impressive.

Obviously you have to take into account the fact that Imran, Kapil and Botham played a lot of tests among them, but his FC record is better than all of them.

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
As I said though, that is all supposition.

There is no way however that anyone could call county cricket a pinnacle rather than World Series though.
You're right, World Series was a bigger deal than the CC, although I'm sure there were plenty of nostalgic old MCC farts around in the 70's who would've argued that the Championship was still the pinnacle of all cricket haha.

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Not including his final test, Paul Reiffel in the 11 innings leading up to that hit 460 runs at an average of about 60

He was improving more and more with the bat as his career came to a close but I guess his bowling must have been starting to wane

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Not including his final test, Paul Reiffel in the 11 innings leading up to that hit 460 runs at an average of about 60

He was improving more and more with the bat as his career came to a close but I guess his bowling must have been starting to wane
His bowling had waned, just wasn't taking wickets. And at that time we had McGrath, Gillespie, Bichel, Kaspa & Fleming all around, and Brett Lee was a year away.

Last edited:

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Herbert Sutcliffe's average never dropped below 60 throughout his entire Test career — Javed Miandad is the only other man whose average never dropped below 50 in a career of at least 20 innings.