• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Random things you may not know

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Both B and D Mohanty are best known for being incredible in International Cricket Captain

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
Did you know D Mohanty's action was part of the official logo of the 1999 world cup? Yes, Debashish Mohanty.
Yes, I loved his action and tried copying it during my childhood days. Him and Harvinder Sodhi were a decent combination for sometime before they fell off.

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
Saw this question in yesterday's 'Who wants to be a millionaire' show in our region. Let us see who answers first. :)

Who was the only bowler to take a hattrick spread over 3 overs?

Burgey

Merv Hughes vs WI, Perth 1988-89

Last ball of an over, took a wicket, then wrapped up the innings with the first ball of his next over before trapping Greenidge lbw first ball of the Windies second innings.

Last edited:

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
Merv Hughes vs WI, Perth 1988-89

Last ball of an over, took a wicket, then wrapped up the innings with the first ball of his next over before trapping Greenidge lbw first ball of the Windies second innings.
Nice quick answer, Burgey. Unfortunately, the max prize I can give you is only my appreciation and a like to the post.

Burgey

In the summer of 1979-80, which cricketer scored 111 not out and took 8/13 in the same match?

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
I think Derek Pringle and his father are the only father and son to have played in World Cups for different countries. I could Google it to find out if it's true but I can't be arsed and don't give a toss. :horse:

aussie tragic

International Captain
Tim Southee has the highest batting SR in Test History with 88.51 (min 1000 runs).

Rounding out the top 5 are Afridi (86.97), Sehwag (82.21), Gilchrist (81.96) and Warner (76.92)

aussie tragic

International Captain
Bill Woodfull turned down a knighthood in 1934 making Don Bradman the only Australian cricketer to receive one (in 1949).

...maybe he was still angry at bodyline ;)

Edit: Anyone know why Australians didn't get any, especially Richie Benaud for his service to cricket

Last edited:

AndrewB

International Vice-Captain
I think Derek Pringle and his father are the only father and son to have played in World Cups for different countries. I could Google it to find out if it's true but I can't be arsed and don't give a toss.
If Cricinfo's list of "related ODI players" is up to date, the only other father and son to play for different countries are Ron and Dean Headley, and neither of them played in a World Cup.

Don Pringle was killed in a car crash not long after the 1975 World Cup, and so was the first ODI player to die.

AndrewB

International Vice-Captain
Bill Woodfull turned down a knighthood in 1934 making Don Bradman the only Australian cricketer to receive one (in 1949).

...maybe he was still angry at bodyline ;)

Edit: Anyone know why Australians didn't get any, especially Richie Benaud for his service to cricket
Not a complete answer, but Aussies switched to their own system of awards in the 70s, and haven't had knighthoods, OBEs etc since 1989.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Also, I believe Bill Woodful declined on the basis that knighthoods shouldn't be given for ability in sport. He said that he'd accept it for his work in education, but not his prowess in sport.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Mahela Jayawardene has named his daughter Sansa after an obscure character in some obscure TV show no one watches.

Shady Slim

International Coach
andy zaltzman has informed me england's fifty-to-century rate since the start of the 2013 ashes is 24% compared to the rest of the world at 34.5%, and that the other top seven teams are at 37%