• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Random things you may not know

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I'm sure no one knows this...my mate who is 6'4" was a professional bouncer and we were drinking lots at a Qld-NSW match at Newcastle 1984 - Greg Matthews walked past greeting the crowd with a spiked haircut and punk attitude and my Mate called him a wanker...Matthews actually stopped and considered fighting him...total respect for Matthews after that moment and I noticed his batting ability increased considerably after that...maybe he realised life is short so make the most of it :)

Note: I also think Matthews would have made a great no. 6 batsman (averaged 41) who bowls a bit rather than filling a spin bowler role.
Mo is one weird dude. I bumped into him last week in town, hadn't seen him for years. He was straight off a plane from somewhere in Asia and flat out reeked of etoh. Said he was on his way "to a business meeting".

Genuinely nice bloke to talk to though, and was a very good cricketer. Always good company on the turps.

Burgey

Pretty sure that was the game where Steve Waugh and Gillespie ran into each other.

It was. I never knew why Waugh didn't bat again after that incident. Not like anyone in the SL attack was going to bowl fast enough for him to re-injure his melon.

91Jmay

International Coach
Just another example of Steve Waugh not putting his body on the line for the team and being a bit of a ***** imo

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
Sri Lanka actually won that series too.

Another fact, Sri Lanka has recorded a Test series victory against all of the test playing nations.

aussie tragic

International Captain
Unknown to most (hopefully), I now suggest this is one of the biggest Test upsets of all time :)

Between 15 Feb 1980 and 15 Apr 1986 WI played 53 Tests and only lost 2, both to Australia

This one I understand, as Kim Hughes scored a brilliant 100* and Lillee was there to take 10 wickets
1st Test: Australia v West Indies at Melbourne, Dec 26-30, 1981 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo

But this is one in 1984-85 is one of the most average Aussie line-ups I've seen as Border is the only class player at that time vs Greenidge, Haynes, Richardson, Gomes, Richards, Lloyd, Dujon, Marshall, Holding, Garner, Walsh
5th Test: Australia v West Indies at Sydney, Dec 30, 1984 - Jan 2, 1985 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo

Edit: Boon and McDermott were class players but were only playing their 3rd and 2nd Tests respectively at that time...I may have been a bit harsh not to include Wessels with Border as a class player

Last edited:

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
Boon and McDermott were class players but were only playing their 3rd and 2nd Tests respectively at that time...I may have been a bit harsh not to include Wessels with Border as a class player
Graeme Wood was pretty good on his day & there was of course Geoff Lawson in his pomp! But the man who won that match for the Aussies was Bob Holland, who, as we all know, didn't do much at all after this particular game. Awesome cameo.

aussie tragic

International Captain
Random fact for today, Dennis Lillee has scored more sixes than Don Bradman.

Bradman only scored 6 sixes in 52 Tests and was actually more likely to score a duck (7) than hit a six ;)

Last edited:

Robertoe

Cricket Spectator
Some brilliant stats and facts in this one! Apart from Cricinfo, are there any other good sites for these kind of stats?

Last edited:

Robertoe

Cricket Spectator
This one taken from The Stats Zone is interesting. Australians must hate Jimmy Anderson! :laugh:

View attachment 22772

There's some really good stuff here comparing the top Test bowlers - check it out Top Five ICC Ranked Test Bowlers ? A Comparison | The Stats Zone
Jimmy's stats are impressive. England will miss him in this test match....and Finn's bowling showing that. Would be interesting to see if Ball keeps his place and Finn drops out if Anderson comes back for the second test.

Yasir Shah's stats on the other hand are immense according to that report.....ominous for England and Cook especially.

Burgey

Unknown to most (hopefully), I now suggest this is one of the biggest Test upsets of all time :)

Between 15 Feb 1980 and 15 Apr 1986 WI played 53 Tests and only lost 2, both to Australia

This one I understand, as Kim Hughes scored a brilliant 100* and Lillee was there to take 10 wickets
1st Test: Australia v West Indies at Melbourne, Dec 26-30, 1981 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo

But this is one in 1984-85 is one of the most average Aussie line-ups I've seen as Border is the only class player at that time vs Greenidge, Haynes, Richardson, Gomes, Richards, Lloyd, Dujon, Marshall, Holding, Garner, Walsh
5th Test: Australia v West Indies at Sydney, Dec 30, 1984 - Jan 2, 1985 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo

Edit: Boon and McDermott were class players but were only playing their 3rd and 2nd Tests respectively at that time...I may have been a bit harsh not to include Wessels with Border as a class player
Clive lloyd's last test match.

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
so who is Bob Holland lol? Not even worthy of a sentence write-up on his cricinfo file yet took a 10fer in the match against that godly team

AndrewB

International Vice-Captain
so who is Bob Holland lol? Not even worthy of a sentence write-up on his cricinfo file yet took a 10fer in the match against that godly team
Leggie who made his Test debut aged 38. Had a couple of great Tests at Sydney, a five-for at Lords - and did almost nothing in his other 8 Tests (9 wickets at about 100 each).