• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Irfan Pathan!

Bouncer

State Regular
Yesterday I watched him bowl for the first time and i would say i was little disappointed, to me he was not even like Kabir Khan the left armer who i think was very talanted but quite unlucky that he was in Pakistan.

But anyway i just dont want ot judge the guy from the highlights of one game, so i want to ask u guys, what u think of him, is he really as good as Indian media had presented him do u think he can cause alot of trouble to Pakistan Batsmen in coming series, or thats just Media Hype.?

NikhilN

International Regular
One of my favorite bowlers from India...if you saw him bowl more you would like him too...

V Reddy

International Debutant
Bouncer said:
did u ever get to see Kabir Khan?
The only thing i can recollect of Kabir is that he used to swing the new ball a lot like the old Nehra. Don't think he can reverse it .

Pathan can do both and is good in the middle too and is a much better batsman. The Pakistan tour is a much better series to judge him on

Bouncer

State Regular
vishnureddy said:
The only thing i can recollect of Kabir is that he used to swing the new ball a lot like the old Nehra. Don't think he can reverse it .

Pathan can do both and is good in the middle too and is a much better batsman. The Pakistan tour is a much better series to judge him on
About Kabir, he could Reverse swing very well, the only problem being was that he was in Pak, same in the cae with Shahid NAzir, Mohammad Akram etc.

People are speaking very high about Imrfan right now but i remember there was this another kid who was very talked about about six months ago MUnaf Patel, where is he now, havent heard anything about him any more.

SO that tells some thing about Indian Media, and about kids they BRAND REAL Talent etc.

V Reddy

International Debutant
Bouncer said:
About Kabir, he could Reverse swing very well, the only problem being was that he was in Pak, same in the cae with Shahid NAzir, Mohammad Akram etc.

People are speaking very high about Imrfan right now but i remember there was this another kid who was very talked about about six months ago MUnaf Patel, where is he now, havent heard anything about him any more.

SO that tells some thing about Indian Media, and about kids they BRAND REAL Talent etc.
He is doing very well in Ranji Trophy. Not many five wicket hauls but more of 40-2 or 30-2 type scorelines . I think he will get into the senior team in a year.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Bouncer said:

A genuine talent doesn't have to get media 24/7 to prove he is so.

V Reddy

International Debutant
Bouncer said:
Wow i have seen this comment countless number of times from Pakistanis. He was hyped as having good pace and no other thing was said about him. I don't think he bowls that quick but Waugh , Lillie,etc,. can't be wrong. I don't read much Pakistani newspapers to counter you but i think it exists everywhere. I remember Simon Jones and Harmison being hyped up as bowlers with serious pace and now Tait from Aus as being very quick and very talented.

tooextracool

International Coach
from what i saw from irfan pathan against the aussies i thought he was ordinary...he needs swinging conditions to get wickets coz he bowls really really slowly

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Bouncer said:

Bouncer dear, before you start mouthing off the Indian Media have you ever wondered where is Md. Irshad now ? Or Abdur Rauf ? And before we could forget about these two now we hear this new Kid 'Rao'. We have already seen Umar Guls and the chucker Shabir Ahmad. What happened to Md. Zahid who was supposed to be as fast as Rawalpindi express ?

As for Munaf Patel, He is playing for Mumbai (one of the best teamsin India) and will be selected if he does well for mumbai.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Sanz said:
We have already seen Umar Guls and the chucker Shabir Ahmad.
Shabbir Ahmed has been found not to be a chucker.
And he's also done well in his international career thus far. Unlike Umar Gul.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
vishnureddy said:
Wow i have seen this comment countless number of times from Pakistanis. He was hyped as having good pace and no other thing was said about him. I don't think he bowls that quick but Waugh , Lillie,etc,. can't be wrong. I don't read much Pakistani newspapers to counter you but i think it exists everywhere. I remember Simon Jones and Harmison being hyped up as bowlers with serious pace and now Tait from Aus as being very quick and very talented.
Quick bowlers (90 mph-ish sort of bowlers) are almost invariably hyped-up by the media, no matter where you go, for the simple reason that 90 mph pace is incorrectly believed to be the most important thing in bowling.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Richard said:
Shabbir Ahmed has been found not to be a chucker.
And he's also done well in his international career thus far. Unlike Umar Gul.
Then why is he working with Daryl Foster ? He has been called for chucking at least twice in his career.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Sanz said:
Then why is he working with Daryl Foster ? He has been called for chucking at least twice in his career.
Wrong.

He has never been called for chucking, he has had his action reported, but that is a completely different thing, since a fair number have had actions reported but nothing more has come of it.

V Reddy

International Debutant
marc71178 said:
Wrong.

He has never been called for chucking, he has had his action reported, but that is a completely different thing, since a fair number have had actions reported but nothing more has come of it.
Wrong Marc.

He was proved to be chucking i think in his first series against WI in Sahara Cup in Toronto. He didn't play for 4yrs i think and has returned now.

yohanna

Banned
vishnureddy said:
Wow i have seen this comment countless number of times from Pakistanis. He was hyped as having good pace and no other thing was said about him.

Vishnu, had you actually gone through Indian media reports , then you wouldn't have been blaming Pakistanis like this.
This article was published in Leading Indian newspapers including times of India.

Can Munaf derail Rawalpindi Exp?

ROBIN DAVID

TIMES NEWS NETWORK[ TUESDAY, SEPTEMBER 02, 2003 02:19:00 PM ]

VADODARA: Move over Shoaib; Bret, beat it! The Bharuch Blaster is here.

Yes, if pace legend Dennis Lillee is to be believed, this unknown lad from a nondescript Gujarat village Ikhar in Bharuch has been sending down 140-150 kmph zingers on a regular basis.

So, this means Munaf Patel has been outdoing the Zaheers, Nehras and Agarkars of the national squad on average. And, believe it or not, the country's fastest speedster hasn't played even a Ranji match yet.

So, if you imagine Patel in the national squad, you would be looking at world's most formidable pace attack. And backed by the world's best batting line-up, the next world series could just be India's.

But even if this lad makes it to Team India, his father probably would not be able to watch him on TV. Patel comes from a conservative Muslim family, which doesn't even own a television at home.

The 22-year-old, 6.4-footer Patel caught Lillee's eyes at Chennai's MRF Pace Academy, where he had come for a stint recently. Lillee has now pitted the Bharuch boy against the likes of Sachin Tendulkar and Sourav Ganguly at the on-going training camp at Bangalore to test his mettle.

"We have identified a handful of promising boys to train with the Indian team and Munaf is one of them," says national selector and Baroda Cricket Association secretary Kiran More.

"Sachin and Sourav can have a look at these youngsters. Besides, Kapil Dev will also spend a few days at the camp which will be good for young lads like Munaf," he adds.

Back in Gujarat's local circuit, Patel's scorching deliveries are legendary, especially as they have singed quite a few.

Playing his debut first-class, U-25 match for Gujarat against Saurashtra his bouncer sent off Saurashtra captain Jaydev Shah with a broken finger, while another batsman had his ribs tingled.

The rookie himself ended up with five wickets. With another three wickets in the second innings, he ended up with eight in the match.

Patel was first spotted last year by former Gujarat pacer Dhansukh Patel during an inter-district match between Surat and Bharuch. Though coaching the Surat team, Dhansukh could not help but be impressed by the lanky pacer in the opposition who was making wickets tumble at will.

In two matches, Patel notched up 16 wickets and Dhansukh knew he had spotted a diamond. Later, playing for Gujarat, Patel bagged 18 wickets in three matches, mostly by scaring the wits out of the batsmen with his scorchers.

Taking advantage of his height, Patel would make the ball zip across the batsmen's face, many of whom would lob simple catches while fending off rising deliveries.

"We are expecting him to get even better with a little experience," says Gujarat under-25 coach Rajeev Desai.

Gujarat Cricket Association president Narhari Amin has already delivered his verdict: "I would not be surprised if he makes it to the Indian team soon," he says. "He is easily the fastest bowler we have."

His father, Musa Patel, a small-time cotton farmer, proudly offers a perspective to his son's feats. "They are fascinated by his pace, but you should see him bat," says Musa. "Crowds gather in local tournaments just to see him hit sixers!"

It seems India's quest for the Holy Grail has finally ended at this nondescript village in Gujarat.

I hope that answers your question, as a lot of things were said about the lad in that article, interestingly comments of some fans on that article were more hilarious than the article itself.