• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Hadlee's Rhythm & Swing - is it worth?

TheGreatest

U19 Cricketer
Will appreciate if anyone can give a detail review of" Rhythm & Swing". Having started following the game in the 90's, I always wanted to know more about him as a person and a sportsman.

For the past few years, I have started reading autobiographies of cricketers from the 80's. Some were brilliant while others were ordinary. So, how will you rate this one, is it really worth buying?

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Will appreciate if anyone can give a detail review of" Rhythm & Swing". Having started following the game in the 90's, I always wanted to know more about him as a person and a sportsman.

For the past few years, I have started reading autobiographies of cricketers from the 80's. Some were brilliant while others were ordinary. So, how will you rate this one, is it really worth buying?
Yes buy it if you are already a fan of either NZ cricket or Hadlee in general. Don't buy it if you just like all cricket.

I loved the book and 30 years after reading it can probably still recall the general gist of the book.

Some highlights:

Talks about what it was like growing up in a very competitive Cricketing household amongst his brothers. And how he felt sorry for one brother who wasn't good at cricket.
Talks at length about his county cricket years and the double double.
And then in a comment that haunted us "I count the number of stitches on the ball before picking the best one out of the box". He never said how many stitches to look for. This caused us hours of counting stitches.

How's that for a 30 year memory recall.

TheGreatest

U19 Cricketer
Yes buy it if you are already a fan of either NZ cricket or Hadlee in general. Don't buy it if you just like all cricket.

I loved the book and 30 years after reading it can probably still recall the general gist of the book.

Some highlights:

Talks about what it was like growing up in a very competitive Cricketing household amongst his brothers. And how he felt sorry for one brother who wasn't good at cricket.
Talks at length about his county cricket years and the double double.
And then in a comment that haunted us "I count the number of stitches on the ball before picking the best one out of the box". He never said how many stitches to look for. This caused us hours of counting stitches.

How's that for a 30 year memory recall.
Thanks for the review! Now I'm gonna buy it for sure.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
He does a great comparison between himself and the other great 80s allrounders. Good read.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year

Any recommendations? Interestingly I am looking to explore the 80s myself.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
I've got Botham's somewhere - but only solidered through the first 300 out of 600 pages. So I remember it being a bit L-oooo-nnnggg. I think the book also was written to fresh to its events and there isn't quite enough perspective on the events that transpired and some of it is a bit emotional.

If I recall correctly there are fair few mentions of his wife, who I didn't really care about.

TheGreatest

U19 Cricketer
Gooch's autobiography & Imran's 'All Round View' were quite interesting. Greg Chappell's 'Fierce Focus' was a good read. Dennis Lillee's 'Menace' and Geoff Lawson 'Henry' were also fine.