• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Worst Shot You've Played

Shady Slim

International Coach
so here's an idea i got from the strangest shot thread - what is the worst or most embarrassing shot you've played?

mine came in the nets when i tried to plant the front foot and flick a full ball powerfully, full force of the bat smacked in to the left foot after i planted it a little too far forward, causing me to go down like a sack of bricks

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Ugly heave with all my might where it hit the top half of my bat and dribbled back down the pitch to the bowler

Bijed

International Regular
First ball I faced for my work team was down the leg side so I tried to help it around the corner, however, since I had only practised against my brother's slow underarms I was much too late on this delivery, which must have been going at literally 50mph (!) and managed to hit it directly into the wicket-keeper's glove. It bounced straight out, thankfully, saving me from what would been a highly embarrassing dismissal.

Have also fallen over whilst practising and attempting to pull a full delivery - in my ineptitude, I thought I'd be alright if I just rocked back, went a bit too far and my wild swing throw me totally off balance.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
so here's an idea i got from the strangest shot thread - what is the worst or most embarrassing shot you've played?

mine came in the nets when i tried to plant the front foot and flick a full ball powerfully, full force of the bat smacked in to the left foot after i planted it a little too far forward, causing me to go down like a sack of bricks
In high school I had a theory that the season wasn't underway until you had hit your ankle with the bat while playing a drive.

Have also fallen over whilst practising and attempting to pull a full delivery - in my ineptitude, I thought I'd be alright if I just rocked back, went a bit too far and my wild swing throw me totally off balance.
Yeah my most embarrassing moments are:

1) Falling down after swishing at a cover drive. The opposition truly thought I didn't know how to bat. Luckily a few fours later they found out they were mistaken.

2) In the nets I was wearing some loose track suit pants. Suddenly everyone was laughing and pointing at me while I was batting. I looked down and my pants were around my knees and there I was in bright red underwear and a thigh pad waiting for the bowler to run in and bowl. That story followed me around for a while.

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
Left a run of the mill off break delivery in my first net session. Didn't actually bat very often and when I did I looked like I was blind

NotMcKenzie

International Debutant
Not sure I've ever played any shots good enough to make a bad/worst shot stand out by comparison. I do have a tendency to hit my own legs with the bat, though.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
I swotted at a ball that was a full toss at head height, way outside off stump, that went straight up in the air and down to a fielder. Imagine a tennis player trying to hit a ball forehand at the moon.

The annoying thing is I should've left it and let it be called as either the wide or no-ball it should've been. The no-ball part didn't occur until after I got out, which was slightly ironic because the over earlier I was given not out after my second worst shot which was essentially swiping at a full toss well above my head straight over the keepers head and to the boundary - but I brought my bat down and smashed it into the stumps and I started walking off before the umpires called me back.

So basically just bowl beamers at me and you'll get me out guaranteed

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Worst shot? Bowled not playing one. Has happened at least twice. Once by a left armer, over the wicket, swung the ball away from me. I'm right handed. Yeah, that bad :blink:

Son Of Coco

Bowled letting one go when we had 2 wickets in hand with about 30 to get.

Or

Dancing down the wicket first ball to a spinner, missing it by a mile, and getting stumped...only moments after having told our captain, who was batting at the other end, that I'd "just have a look at a few first".

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
I was a primarily backfoot player during schooldays - so played backfoot defence to a lot of harmless straight half-volleys that could be powerfully driven on the frontfoot.

The Battlers Prince

International Vice-Captain
I used to be alright at anything with a bit of width (who isn't). I was facing the fast bowler of the competition, everyone was talking how fast he was. I faced three from him, I tried to get on the front foot but the ball wizzed past my ears first off. Next he pitched outside off and I glided it to third man for 4, feeling pretty proud of myself and thinking it would be my tactic against him. He pitched the next one on leg and I angled the ball straight into off stump.

doesitmatter

U19 Cricketer
I had hit the bowler for 2 fours in an over and in the same over he bowls a ball which bounces twice, i miss hitting it and get bowled..the sucker laughed all the way to my end..worst shot

Jarquis

We were 120/5 batting first, I'm there on 67 seeing it like a beach ball and knowing there's not much else to come.

Regular offie bowling straight to me as I'm terrible off my pads. I'm taking one a ball down the ground as he's basically got long on and off straight and then regular mid on and off a bit wider. I tell the keeper it's thes kinds of situations that make me wish I could play the sweep.

Next ball I try it, out lbw, we get folded for 140.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
I used to be alright at anything with a bit of width (who isn't). I was facing the fast bowler of the competition, everyone was talking how fast he was. I faced three from him, I tried to get on the front foot but the ball wizzed past my ears first off. Next he pitched outside off and I glided it to third man for 4, feeling pretty proud of myself and thinking it would be my tactic against him. He pitched the next one on leg and I angled the ball straight into off stump.
Best story so far. Welcome to the message boards if you are a new poster.