• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Why wasnt Ed Smith not called up?

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Langeveldt said:
My stepdad is from Essex.... Halsey probably rates him too....
Ah, I'd have to see him first.

Regarding the thread, it is meaningless. Double negative in the title.

8D Grammar Police 8D

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Rik said:
Not personally I don't, but they have done nothing to justify their continued selections so I will oppose them being selected.
So an average of under 30 and being ranked as England's number 1 bowler is nothing now then is it?

Rik said:
Indeed it is a pity that the English selectors show such favoritism, especially as it is for 2 players who only weaken England's side.
Oh Giles only took the 18 wickets in the most recent series (as well as playing a massive part with the bat in saving one of the Tests) didn't he - how weaker that made us.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
marc71178 said:
So an average of under 30 and being ranked as England's number 1 bowler is nothing now then is it?

Been done to death. It's plainly obvious the only reason his average is lower than 30 is because Bangladesh and Zimbabwe can't play pace bowling, against everyone else who he's played with the exception of India he's been appauling. Anyway, since when has an average of 29.63 been something to jump head over heals about?

Oh Giles only took the 18 wickets in the most recent series (as well as playing a massive part with the bat in saving one of the Tests) didn't he - how weaker that made us.
I hardly think 18 wickets at everything but 30 makes up for the last few years when he has averaged over 50 with the ball, especially when you take pitch conditions into account.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Neil Pickup said:
Is this thread going where I think it is?
Yes I mentioned Harmison and Giles, my bad. I must accept that Marc has the right to now plaster this thread with exactly why I'm wrong, and I'm not allowed to reply. Sorry in foresight.

Craig

World Traveller
Neil Pickup said:
Is this thread going where I think it is?
Just give this thread 2-4 days before you think of closure of one's thread.

If it dies a quick slow death, then so be it, if it gets out of hand, well action will be taken.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
chris.hinton said:
I would have called up Rob Key
That would be every bit as bad - another opener to bat in the middle-order.
And one who's a proven failure there, too.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
marc71178 said:
I cannot actually work out Clarke's role on the tour, perhaps he mixes a mean Rum Dhaquiri?
The silly thing is, Brendon Julian genuinely got on Australian tours in the Border and Taylor days because of reasons along these lines.
What a waste of a tour fee!
Julian has surely to be one of the worst players to play for Australia in the last 50 years.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Neil Pickup said:
I'd rather have recalled Ramprakash.
Seriously, can anyone actually think of a better option (remembering - middle-order batsman was the need).
Looks like Strauss' was a wasted flight now anyhow.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Rik said:
If the player can play short-pitched bowling he's taken to the cleaners, just cast your mind back to his "bouncer war" against Graeme Smith...
Terrific, that.
English or South African, I simply love seeing short, quick bowling hammered through mid-wicket. And in Graeme's case, mid-on. Especially if the bowler seems to find it hard to conceive that someone can possibly have the nerve to do that.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
marc71178 said:
being ranked as England's number 1 bowler is nothing now then is it?
Yep, because the rankings are attempting an impossible task and are hence all but worthless.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Rik said:
I hardly think 18 wickets at everything but 30 makes up for the last few years when he has averaged over 50 with the ball, especially when you take pitch conditions into account.
To be fair Giles has done everything to justify his selection in conditions such as Galle and Kandy (2003\04) and everything to justify his non-selection in those such as The SSC (2003\04), The Oval, Trent Bridge, Lord's, Edgbaston, The Riverside and Lord's (2003). Not to mention all the other 7 home Tests he's played, and the 3 in New Zealand, and the 1 in Australia.
When the conditions suit fingerspin, Giles is as good as you'll get. When they don't, like any fingerspinner, he's as useless as you'll get.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Richard said:
Seriously, can anyone actually think of a better option (remembering - middle-order batsman was the need).
Looks like Strauss' was a wasted flight now anyhow.
Struggling to think - shame Kevin's 6 months away.

I guess someone like Ian Bell would be more likely to get the call than Ramprakash, whose International career is surely over?

Rich2001

International Captain
marc71178 said:
Struggling to think - shame Kevin's 6 months away.
When did you jump the fence Marc? - I thought while everyone was calling for Kev' you was saying he was just a slogger and overated, or iam I mistaken with someone else?

Langeveldt

Soutie
Richard said:
The silly thing is, Brendon Julian genuinely got on Australian tours in the Border and Taylor days because of reasons along these lines.
What a waste of a tour fee!
Julian has surely to be one of the worst players to play for Australia in the last 50 years.

Naah he wasnt that bad :)

I thought Nathan Hauritz was far worse... Like an Aussie Richard Dawson...