• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

If...

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
If Mohammad Azharuddin's association with bookies was caught at an early stage, Utpal Chatterjee would have a very successful test career.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
I'd love to hear the story behind this. I know nothing of Chatterjee.
Chatterjee was clearly a much better left-arm spin bowler than Venkatapathy Raju. But Raju played 28 test matches, and Chatterjee played none. That's only because Azharuddin had a bias for Raju as Raju was from the same state as the captain. It's safe to say that with any other captain Chatterjee would be playing many more than 28 test matches.

As an aside, I may as well add that I haven't seen any left arm orthodox bowler turn the ball as much as Chatterjee did in his prime. He had his variations and was a very intelligent bowler (intelligent in the Kumble/Ashwin way).

Last edited:

91Jmay

International Coach
Chatterjee was clearly a much better left-arm spin bowler than Venkatapathy Raju. But Raju played 28 test matches, and Chatterjee played none. That's only because Azharuddin had a bias for Raju as Raju was from the same state as the captain. It's safe to say that with any other captain Chatterjee would be playing many more than 28 test matches.

As an aside, I may as well add that I haven't seen any left arm orthodox bowler turn the ball as much as Chatterjee did in his prime. He had his variations and was a very intelligent bowler (intelligent in the Kumble/Ashwin way).
Is this is 3rd time you've mentioned Chatterjee in last month or so? I am convinced you are a relative of him.

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
What if Brian Lara had a younger brother? A right handed batsman who would go on to record almost identical FC, Test & ODI stats as his elder brother. This younger brother would debut in 1995 against Australia & retire after the 2011 World Cup. A few 'what ifs'...

Would the West Indies have defeated Australia during 1995?

Could the Windies have possibly sustained their domination of world cricket into the 21st century?

Or could they have at least still been a top-level international team in the early 2000's? Rated on par with the likes of SA & India?

Could WI have won the '96 World Cup? Maybe the 2007 CWC too?

Would fast bowlers such as King, Dillon, Collymore & Lawson have greater legacies & stats due to the presence of Lara jr in the team? Could they have even been considered the latest in the long line of world beating WI quicks, successors to Walsh & Ambrose?

Howe_zat

Audio File
If Peter Siddle were English, the home fans would chant 'Siddle' to the tune of 'Sit Down' by James.

Last edited:

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
DRS would've come in a lot earlier following the shocking LBW not given early in that 10th wicket partnership.
Or even earlier given in the same match Lee hit Jones on the full on the back pad in front of middle stump only to have it given not out by Bowden in the middle of Jones' partnership with flintoff that put on I dunno how many.

Gob

International Coach
Or even earlier given in the same match Lee hit Jones on the full on the back pad in front of middle stump only to have it given not out by Bowden in the middle of Jones' partnership with flintoff that put on I dunno how many.
Billy Bowden was ****.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah. Rarely seen an umpire so influenced by he momentum in a match/ series. Mind you Australia was the beneficiary of the trait in him a lot too.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Why are you making things up, it would clearly have been umpires call :ph34r:

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Was he the one who initially gave Dhoni his first test wicket before it was overturned?
Dunno but Broad had someone (Raina from memory) absolutely plumb lbw in one of the Tests, Broad during his chat with Bowden at the end of the over asks what was wrong with it, Bowden tells him and Broad's facial expression just turns to one of utter amazement and he says "bat?!" and looks round as if he's checking to see if anyone else heard it and that it wasn't his hearing playing tricks on him (the batsman got absolutely nowhere near it.)

Howe_zat

Audio File
Dunno but Broad had someone (Raina from memory) absolutely plumb lbw in one of the Tests, Broad during his chat with Bowden at the end of the over asks what was wrong with it, Bowden tells him and Broad's facial expression just turns to one of utter amazement and he says "bat?!" and looks round as if he's checking to see if anyone else heard it and that it wasn't his hearing playing tricks on him (the batsman got absolutely nowhere near it.)
yeah this is spot on

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I'm pretty sure McGrath had an lbw shout at some point in the series inexplicably turned down (went round the wicket and bowled a yorker that was taking middle out the ground), unless I'm just remembering McGrath bowling the one you're referring to for some reason.

Wasn't a high point for lbw decisions tbf. Other highlights would be the umpire forgetting Katich was a leftie before giving him lbw at Trent Bridge, Damien Martyn being repeatedly given out bat before wicket, and one that always sticks in my mind was another England tail end slog being interrupted by Harmison receiving a joke lbw decision - was batting outside his crease and struck right at the top of his pads by McGrath or Lee. That one might actually have been Bowden again.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Here's one.

What if KP did absolutely **** all with the bat when Natal played England in a tour game in the 1999/2000 series?

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Broad's face was an absolute picture

Dazinho

School Boy/Girl Captain
One I contemplated last week:-

What if back in 1990 an umpire had said "no Viv, Bailey is NOT OUT and I'm sending you off for misconduct"...?