• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in South Africa + South Africa in Australia 2016/17

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Earliest tour thread ever, I like it.

Suspect it won't be only 3 days, ball will be improved and the opposition won't be dire.

Marius

International Debutant
Should be a good tour, think we'll have some more clarity about the SA Test side after the NZ tour in August.

If there isn't too much interference in selection will be a great series.

Gnske

Should be a good tour, think we'll have some more clarity about the SA Test side after the NZ tour in August.

Even if there is, its going to be a tight contest. Rabada/Steyn/Morkel/Philander under lights and during that dusk period will be good fun.

Marius

International Debutant
Even if there is, its going to be a tight contest. Rabada/Steyn/Morkel/Philander under lights and during that dusk period will be good fun.
Definitely.

And we should have some gritty openers in Cook and Elgar, and then AB and Amla. And QDK at 7, should be a decent series.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member

Cant see their being a big selection issue. Baring injury. Elgar, Cook, Amla, Faf, AB, Bavuma, QDK, Philander, Piedt, Steyn, Morkel/Rabada... can see Shamsi being in the mix if we want a more attacking option but really like Piedt. Or maybe just going in with 4 seamers. But quota not an issue with this team imo. That team looks solid.

Marius

International Debutant
Cant see their being a big selection issue. Baring injury. Elgar, Cook, Amla, Faf, AB, Bavuma, QDK, Philander, Piedt, Steyn, Morkel/Rabada... can see Shamsi being in the mix if we want a more attacking option but really like Piedt. Or maybe just going in with 4 seamers. But quota not an issue with this team imo. That team looks solid.
I agree, re: the quotas thing, but you never know what nonsense Razzamatazz may say next.

Think the third seamer spot is between Morkel and Philander now I reckon, Steyn and Rabada will play for sure.

Who would you go for if we play a fourth seamer? Not sure Morris has what it takes to be effective at Test level, but he also brings something with the bat.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
I agree, re: the quotas thing, but you never know what nonsense Razzamatazz may say next.

Think the third seamer spot is between Morkel and Philander now I reckon, Steyn and Rabada will play for sure.

Who would you go for if we play a fourth seamer? Not sure Morris has what it takes to be effective at Test level, but he also brings something with the bat.
Hopefully no more nonsense for awhile regarding quotas.

If you play 4 seamers, you play your best. Philander is good enough at 8, don't need more. So straight swap with Morkel for Piedt. Think that Philander will get the nod over Morkel. Only thing that 'worries' me playing both Rabada and Steyn is the 'sameness' Morkel gives an extra dimension with his back of a length bounce... but its a good position for SA to be in to have these options.

Marius

International Debutant
Hopefully no more nonsense for awhile regarding quotas.

If you play 4 seamers, you play your best. Philander is good enough at 8, don't need more. So straight swap with Morkel for Piedt. Think that Philander will get the nod over Morkel. Only thing that 'worries' me playing both Rabada and Steyn is the 'sameness' Morkel gives an extra dimension with his back of a length bounce... but its a good position for SA to be in to have these options.
Yes, I had a brain fart.

Those would be my four seamers too, if we went in with four, and you're right about Philander being good enough at 8.

Rabada and Steyn are also decent with the bat. That's one of my disappointments about Morkel, he certainly had the potential to be decent with the bat, he could have made an okayish No 8, if he'd worked on his batting. On debut against India, he scored 30-odd I seem to remember.

SeamUp

International Coach
Just so frustrating these two sides can never have at least a 4 test match series.

Gnske

Just so frustrating these two sides can never have at least a 4 test match series.
But the casuals of this nation wouldn't dare show up for a non-Ashes match when the BBL exists.

I reckon D/N might give incentive for longer Test series actually. Especially since I have no doubt the gimmick will pull the Adelaidians in once again for what will probably end up being the biggest crowd of the summer that isn't BBL.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
But the casuals of this nation wouldn't dare show up for a non-Ashes match when the BBL exists.

I reckon D/N might give incentive for longer Test series actually. Especially since I have no doubt the gimmick will pull the Adelaidians in once again for what will probably end up being the biggest crowd of the summer that isn't BBL.
nah Australia could be playing the Ferntree Gully under-12s on Boxing Day and there'd still be at least 60.000

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year

Might also boost TV ratings back in South Africa, what with the Afternoon session happenin in S.A's morning and the evening session being during SA's daytime hours

Marius

International Debutant
Might also boost TV ratings back in South Africa, what with the Afternoon session happenin in S.A's morning and the evening session being during SA's daytime hours
That's one of the best things about when we play in Perth. At least some of the game isn't being played at stupid o'clock.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
It seems pointless starting a separate thread for the ODI series in SA versus Aus considering we just head over to Aus for a Test series straight afterwards.

Fri Sep 30 (50 ovs) 13:30 local (11:30 GMT) 1st ODI - South Africa v Australia SuperSport Park, Centurion
Sun Oct 2 (50 ovs) 10:00 local (08:00 GMT) 2nd ODI - South Africa v Australia New Wanderers Stadium, Johannesburg
Oct 5 (50 ovs) 13:30 local (11:30 GMT) 3rd ODI - South Africa v Australia Kingsmead, Durban
Sun Oct 9 (50 ovs) 10:00 local (08:00 GMT) 4th ODI - South Africa v Australia St George's Park, Port Elizabeth
Oct 12 (50 ovs) 13:30 local (11:30 GMT) 5th ODI - South Africa v Australia Newlands, Cape Town