• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in South Africa + South Africa in Australia 2016/17

SeamUp

International Coach
How does a hack like Berherdien come in and make Duminy and Miller looks so poor...
This is the season that determines Du Plessis, Duminy, Miller, Behardien and Rossouw's ODI futures ? Who grabs their chances ?

Because the ICC Champions Trophy is back next year in England and we have a big tour there as well.

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Thinking about SA's test squad for Australia. Assuming De Villiers/Morkel are fit & we got confirmation that Morris is targeting Sri Lanka series for come back.

1. COOK
2. ELGAR
3. AMLA
4. DE VILLIERS
5. DU PLESSIS OR DUMINY
6. BAVUMA
7. DE KOCK
8. PHILANDER
9. RABADA
10. STEYN
11. PIEDT

12. JP DUMINY OR FAF DU PLESSIS
13. WAYNE PARNELL
14. MORNE MORKEL
15. KYLE ABBOTT/ANDILE PHEHLUKWAYO

* I can't see them taking two spinners ? Adelaide is the day/night test.

* Morkel could come in for Piedt or Philander at Gabba/WACA.

* I don't think they should take Phehlukwayo. He needs FC cricket to keep developing.

will what you're suggesting be plausible with the new quotas?

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Well there goes any chance they had of winning. Sounds like Wilson was horrible and now that run out can't help.

SeamUp

International Coach
That's the thing that will be tricky.

If Duminy plays instead of Du Plessis then it's perfect for what they want. 5 white players. 6 players of colour of which two are black African. Problem being you leaving out Du Plessis/Morkel which is unfair in many ways. Two innocent indivduals playing a game they love and being left out because of skin colour. Making two innocent guys pay for a political regime they had no part in & doing the exact thing that government did just shows you the brain cells these people have . So basically a game of sport has become a political toy and we can't be happy until we stop producing good white cricketers in high numbers

Back to these quota rules...

But there will be a balance over a season. In the Ireland game I think only 4 white players played (De Kock, Faf, Miller, Pretorius) so they may get away with playing 6 white players in the odd game but how do you leave one out if performing well in the test team to make sure they keep the balance?

Last edited:

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Thinking about SA's test squad for Australia. Assuming De Villiers/Morkel are fit & we got confirmation that Morris is targeting Sri Lanka series for come back.

1. COOK
2. ELGAR
3. AMLA
4. DE VILLIERS
5. DU PLESSIS OR DUMINY
6. BAVUMA
7. DE KOCK
8. PHILANDER
9. RABADA
10. STEYN
11. PIEDT

12. JP DUMINY OR FAF DU PLESSIS
13. WAYNE PARNELL
14. MORNE MORKEL
15. KYLE ABBOTT/ANDILE PHEHLUKWAYO

* I can't see them taking two spinners ? Adelaide is the day/night test.

* Morkel could come in for Piedt or Philander at Gabba/WACA.

* I don't think they should take Phehlukwayo. He needs FC cricket to keep developing.
Don`t think Andile will go with test squad atm.. Abbott will probably be there or else with Parnell and Morkel may take an extra bat, Theunis? Otherwise pretty much same squad as normal. I think their is an outside chance of Elgar not playing with QDK opening (I was not originally a fan of this idea but now unsure), allowing both Faf and Duminy in the team..

This is the season that determines Du Plessis, Duminy, Miller, Behardien and Rossouw's ODI futures ? Who grabs their chances ?

Because the ICC Champions Trophy is back next year in England and we have a big tour there as well.
Thing is I would choose Behardien right now not because he looks good but because he is getting the job done. Miller is out for me, I know that he has scored a few runs.. but the more he plays at top level the more limited I think he is. He hammers poor bowling, but he is not creative enough against good bowling imo, not matter how sweet his timing can be.

Quotas are not a problem right atm. Problem comes in if Bavuma or Rabada get injured.

SeamUp

International Coach
Don`t think Andile will go with test squad atm.. Abbott will probably be there or else with Parnell and Morkel may take an extra bat, Theunis? Otherwise pretty much same squad as normal. I think their is an outside chance of Elgar not playing with QDK opening (I was not originally a fan of this idea but now unsure), allowing both Faf and Duminy in the team..

Thing is I would choose Behardien right now not because he looks good but because he is getting the job done. Miller is out for me, I know that he has scored a few runs.. but the more he plays at top level the more limited I think he is. He hammers poor bowling, but he is not creative enough against good bowling imo, not matter how sweet his timing can be.

Quotas are not a problem right atm. Problem comes in if Bavuma or Rabada get injured.
They will be ruining De Kock if they went that route. We've been down the non-regular opening road before. Elgar/Cook HAVE to open.

Before this game (vs IRELAND i might add) he was in pretty average to bad form where his position was questioned. I would rather judge him against more pace or spin where he has struggled. Right now - no one is safe.

Quotas are definitely still an issue and will create a massive divide some time this season. When that happens. Well done ANC & CSA. As I mentioned above - these %s are ****ing pathetic. It's a game of bloody cricket man.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
That's the thing that will be tricky.

If Duminy plays instead of Du Plessis then it's perfect for what they want. 5 white players. 6 players of colour of which two are black African. Problem being you leaving out Du Plessis/Morkel which is unfair in many ways. Two innocent indivduals playing a game they love and being left out because of skin colour. Making two innocent guys pay for a political regime they had no part in & doing the exact thing that government did just shows you the brain cells these people have . So basically a game of sport has become a political toy and we can't be happy until we stop producing good white cricketers in high numbers

Back to these quota rules...

But there will be a balance over a season. In the Ireland game I think only 4 white players played (De Kock, Faf, Miller, Pretorius) so they may get away with playing 6 white players in the odd game but how do you leave one out if performing well in the test team to make sure they keep the balance?

They will be ruining De Kock if they went that route. We've been down the non-regular opening road before. Elgar/Cook HAVE to open.

Before this game (vs IRELAND i might add) he was in pretty average to bad form where his position was questioned. I would rather judge him against more pace or spin where he has struggled. Right now - no one is safe.

Quotas are definitely still an issue and will create a massive divide some time this season. When that happens. Well done ANC & CSA. As I mentioned above - these %s are ****ing pathetic. It's a game of bloody cricket man.
Agree regarding to an extent regarding QDK, don`t want to overload the young man... but he has come up trumps just about every-time.

Question is have Du Plessis or Morkel shown more than Duminy or Rabada? Thats actually what really makes it uncomfortable for all parties.. is if quotas where not around Faf and Morkel may have lost out anyway, but who knows now. One of the biggest recent concerns with the SA team was playing Stiaan rather than Cook as an opener, that was just poor decisions making not anything to do with quotas. What gives me hope is that they are not just ignoring players that are white... yes Andile got a go but so did Pretorius, in the last game against Ireland. So what happens is in the 50/50 sort of decisions colour definitely playing a role... but outside that, have not seen much yet.

The day they pick Ramela is the day I will lose all hope though.... and then you will see a wahhh of all wahhh`s...

Last edited:

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
I wonder sometimes how these crushing defeats (sorry Ireland don`t think you going to win this one) helps the associate nations... must hurt their confidence more than help them get better. Does give a chance for bigger nations to blood youngsters I suppose...

91Jmay

International Coach
Morne Morkel no way deserves selection ahead of Rabada. That would be a sporting injustice.

Wouldn't even have Morkel over Abbott.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
that's what they said about Gleneagles and the sanctions in the 70s and 80s.