• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in South Africa + South Africa in Australia 2016/17

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
You've never experienced a WC win though, so I doubt you can have the proper perspective here. Although I don't have it either since India have never and probably will never win a test series in Australia.
I would love to win a WC... and as an SA fan having to go through the emotions of drawing the 99 Semi, little will come close to those emotions (particularly following on from the previous game against Aus). But my biggest gratification for winning a WC will be the loss of that 'chokers' tag, more than the win itself.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Nothing comes close to winning a World Cup, even the Ashes 5-0 whitewashes. Especially one you weren't expecting to win too, like 1999 and to a lesser extent 2015 (were probably favourites but not outright favourites). 2003 and 2007 were still great, but 2007 in particular was a bit meh, since everyone expected Aus to win and they literally won every single game without being challenged.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
South Africa have won 3 in a row in Aus haven't they? And haven't won a single series at home against them in that time iirc
Won 2... drew 1 I think. A 3rd win would be great. And yes I would like to not lose to Aus at home the next time...

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Nothing comes close to winning a World Cup, even the Ashes 5-0 whitewashes. Especially one you weren't expecting to win too, like 1999 and to a lesser extent 2015 (were probably favourites but not outright favourites). 2003 and 2007 were still great, but 2007 in particular was a bit meh, since everyone expected Aus to win and they literally won every single game without being challenged.
I get nervous during WC... but honestly I could not give a damn before or after, even when we have been one of the favourites. But that is me, think most SA cricket 'fans' tend to be more interested in the WC...

Last edited:

Marius

International Debutant
I get nervous during WC... but honestly I could not give a damn before or after, even when we have been one of the favourites. But that is me, think most SA cricket 'fans' tend to be more interested in the WC...
Won the last two, but before that we had lost three series in Australia in a row. Last time there was a drawn series in Australia between SA and Aus was 1993/94.

Bahseph

State Captain
As Protea fans we just don't have the proper experience to talk about World Cup wins. I fully believe we would be soaking up the glory for years if we won one.

I'm not the biggest LO cricket fan but come World Cup time I am massively invested. I was too young to be properly hurt by 1999 but 2007 and 2011 still hurt.

I'm proud of this South African Test side because bar a few series , since readmission they have always been competitive in all conditions. The success of that team doesn't make up for a lack of WC trophy. Not for the talent we had/have.

On the pre-game talk, at least it's coming from Steyn. You could actually believe he wants batsmen to fear him.

TheJediBrah

Yes of course I was talking about my own feelings. I would expect other people to have other priorities and for bilateral Test series to be more important to people than World Cups is completely understandable.

Heck there's probably even people these days that think T20 wins are important

SeamUp

International Coach
World Cups are awesome though for the fact that all nations are in one place at one time.

I just think the last 4 haven't been anywhere near the enjoyment of 92, 96 and 99 and maybe I've lost the buzz. Not sure if it's because of my age at those times or the fact the tournaments dragged out a little and that pajama cricket craze lost it's appeal.

Last edited:

Marius

International Debutant
Yes of course I was talking about my own feelings. I would expect other people to have other priorities and for bilateral Test series to be more important to people than World Cups is completely understandable.

Heck there's probably even people these days that think T20 wins are important
You mean they aren't???

Attachments

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Can't wait for an aging steyn to get crushed by us and have his average balloon out to 30

Australia won't drop a test and you heard it here first

SeamUp

International Coach
Can't wait for the Proteas to give the Aussies a banging and for there to be more internal squabbles in the Australian camp and on this occasion Warner and Smith will get down and dirty for the captaincy post the heavy defeats. Maybe squeak in another 47 all out or two with that batting line-up.

Trash talk :laugh:

AndyZaltzHair

Hall of Fame Member
Cant wait for Warner to say something in couple of days. Or Australia is playing a different reverse strat this time. SA gotta smelllllllllllllllalalallow what TPC is cooking soon

Burgey

Don't quite agree with that sentiment concerning WCs, but get where you're coming from. You're probably too young to remember, but if you reckon 99 was unexpected, you should have been around for 87.

Burgey

Also don't begrudge Steyn saying what he wants to, tbh. I don't think it's the first time he's had something to say, and fair enough too. You can't defend McGrah jibbering before every series he played and have a crack at Steyn for the same thing.

Important thing is everyone has their Steyn-follow-through-looking-like-Chris-Isaak meme pics ready for day one.

Last edited:

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Also don't begrudge Steyn saying what he wants to, tbh. I don't think it's the first time he's had something to say, and fair enough too. You can't defend McGrah jibbering before every series he played and have a crack at Steyn for the same thing.

Important thing is everyone has their Steyn-follow-through-looking-like-Chris-Isaak meme pics ready for day one.
100% As far as I'm concerned when you are as great as Steyn and McGrath you can say what the **** you want, they've earn't the right to trash talk and more importantly they will almost always deliver on it.

What grinds my gears incredibly though is when pip squeaks like Glenn Maxwell who are literally a nothing in the grand scheme of cricket come up with this ****.......and they almost always never deliver on it.

PS,

Maxwell was just the first example that came to my mind, there are plenty of others from around the world who have gotten too ****y without the runs/wickets on the board to back it up.