• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in South Africa + South Africa in Australia 2016/17

Spark

Global Moderator
Doesn't it show a bit in how poorly they play when they're behind? Like, what Tests in the past decade have Australia won after going behind in the Test? Best example I can think of is Melbourne in the Ashes whitewash (Flower version).
There was Mussey @ the SCG.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Was winning Gilchrist's 2nd Test a curse in that respect then? Game was even until Inzi smashed them then the seamers picked up 5 quick wickets. The Aussies seemed dusted until Langer and Gilchrist basically willed their way home, thus proving once and for all that the difference between winning and losing is how much you want it.

or something.
Well the previous times that I thought of were Aus vs SL in SL, where they showed that character to come from behind. But looking back through Ashes matches, or even matches against South Africa, since the retirement of Warne/McGrath etc. whoever gets on top by end of Day 2 seems to dominate, really. And the difference is that other teams have managed to get away with draws sometimes when we've taken the ascendancy, which we've never replicated as we've capitulated in those second innings.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Doesn't it show a bit in how poorly they play when they're behind? Like, what Tests in the past decade have Australia won after going behind in the Test? Best example I can think of is Melbourne in the Ashes whitewash (Flower version).
Barring weather, they're not capable of even drawing a test when they go behind.

Burgey

I also think the level
Of energy and enthusiasm you have in the field (which is what TPC mentioned) does effect your performance. I don't mean aggressiveness at all costs or sledging but encouraging team mates and keeping switched on.

Daemon

I also think the level
Of energy and enthusiasm you have in the field (which is what TPC mentioned) does effect your performance. I don't mean aggressiveness at all costs or sledging but encouraging team mates and keeping switched on.
Yeah 100%. It's one of the easiest things you can do to improve your concentration.

91Jmay

International Coach
Yeah, i've always thought that applauding and shouting after a bowler bowls is generally more for the fielders than the bowler.

Burgey

For sure, it's just about energy in the field. I think at most levels of the game you can tell when a fielding side is flat, and if you're batting and they're noticeably quiet, you do get a feeling you're on top. As I mentioned before, it's not about sledging or being aggressive, more making sure you're in the game and focusing. Some people don't do it and still concentrate fine, but I find it a lot easier when the team is visibly and audibly up and about.

TheJediBrah

For sure, it's just about energy in the field. I think at most levels of the game you can tell when a fielding side is flat, and if you're batting and they're noticeably quiet, you do get a feeling you're on top. As I mentioned before, it's not about sledging or being aggressive, more making sure you're in the game and focusing. Some people don't do it and still concentrate fine, but I find it a lot easier when the team is visibly and audibly up and about.
I hear this all the time, and it's probably true, but I absolutely hate that as a batsman. I always play better when there's some intensity and if the bowlers and fielders seem like they're just going through the motions that's when I get bed and hit a catch to long-off

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Yeah, players who completely drop out between balls kill side's momentum.

It's not great for looking after the ball - too many sweaty sets of hands on it, but we take to throwing it around overarm, fast and quick, even back to players who have already had it, as a way to ensure that the fielders are staying with the rest of the team when we're a bit flat. If you don't, you might end up with a rock in the back of your head.

Burgey

Yeah, players who completely drop out between balls kill side's momentum.

It's not great for looking after the ball - too many sweaty sets of hands on it, but we take to throwing it around overarm, fast and quick, even back to players who have already had it, as a way to ensure that the fielders are staying with the rest of the team when we're a bit flat. If you don't, you might end up with a rock in the back of your head.
This is a great idea. Shall adopt it tomorrow.

Shady Slim

International Coach
ab going to miss the ireland odi

oh no

top photos from seam up btw

believe they are from lil quint's wedding

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
I must admit, I'm very curious to see what #hashtag can do at international level.

91Jmay

International Coach
Not to incite anything but the transformation policy doesn't appear to have reached that wedding party. Could there be any divisions that form in SA team over issue?

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Not to incite anything but the transformation policy doesn't appear to have reached that wedding party. Could there be any divisions that form in SA team over issue?
No, everybody has their own friends..... its not like he only invited the 'whites' from the cricket team, just a few players with which he is friends... I think there is a pretty good team dynamic, overall.

91Jmay

International Coach
Fair enough, he is under no obligation to invite the rest of the team just jumped out to me. Will be interesting to track going forward but you are right. Seems like South Africa have corrected wobble after bad year and look strong going forward

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Fair enough, he is under no obligation to invite the rest of the team just jumped out to me. Will be interesting to track going forward but you are right. Seems like South Africa have corrected wobble after bad year and look strong going forward
What you are noticing is more the reality of SA in general... culturally and economically... (along with many other parts of the world!)